• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Quick 50 yard return to zero test-Larue QD SPR 1.5

redirt78

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2011
Georgia ***USA***
I just switched the upper receiver and hand guard on my 16" 5.56 and needed to do a quick re zero before heading to work. I shot a few times at 50yds to get a decent zero then shot twice at another target. Looked good so I decided to see how well the Larue QD would return to zero for me because I take the 1-4x off all the time when its in the house and not after hogs or coyotes. I took the scope off and re mounted it and shot once more. I didn't see the need to waste any more ammo after the third shot.

This is only for a short range AR. If I was trying to use this mount on something more precise I'd shoot more rounds into a group, at longer distances and remove and remount the scope multiple times.
Shooting7.jpg

Third shot was the bottom left hole and so far this gun has never shot that much better than the group in the picture but it doesn't need to. I was happy with how it turned out and figured it might help someone to post this.

shooting8.jpg

Cheap 16" DTI 1x9 twist barrel with cheap 55 grain Hornady soft points

Next time I shoot at 100 I'll try this again, with at least five shot groups.

Re: Quick 50 yard return to zero test-Larue QD SPR 1.5

Nice. What do you estimate the distance is from the center of each group (mounted, then re-mounted)?

I'll have to put more time into it and shoot more like I explained. I did this in ten minutes just for my own piece of mind before heading to burn some clear cuts yesterday. I took a few pics with the cell phone and decided to post them.

I got a decent zero. Then put two shots in the target (top left and right holes) then removed and remounted the scope/Larue and fired one more shot (the lower left hole).

I was in a hurry to get to work and just wanted to do a quick test. This wasn't any kind of extensive or real precision test, just giving me piece of mind with this rig since I remove the scope all the time. I also mainly use this gun for the house and truck with shots rarely over 200 yards. When I have time I will shoot farther with more groups (of 5 rounds or more)

Looks good, man.

I was just curious about the return to zero capability of the LaRue mount(s). Have one on my 5.56, just haven't got to shoot it yet. Not sure if anyone else feels like this, but I just can't trust any mount to return to zero... even if jesus himself made the damn thing.
Nice rig, man

-edit
watching the AIAW videos on youtube are pretty cool, though. Completely disassembled and reassembled... It still looked like it shot about 3/4 MOA from original POI after the guy re-fired it, imo. Impressive to say the least, though.

-edit #2
taking specials requests from the crowd?
shoot at 300, then remount your optic and shoot again
I know, I'm back seat shooting haha

I think 300 would be a bad test for the mount using my 1-4 power scope. Plan on shooting at 100 soon though.