• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quick change action and durability

CST

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2002
Md
I was interested in the quick change actions from Zeus and Curtis valor.
If anyone has some personal insights......

With these quick change systems it appears you have a little less barrel threads going into the action with the set screws to hold the barrel in.
I'm wondering how durable this design is in the field when your hunting or running and gunning in a tactical match rather then a PRS style match where the gun is subject to alot more stress or falls. Say my can is stuck and I'm trying to get it off, for examples.

I guess it's all tension based like the lug and seekins style quick change designs....

Id have more piece of mind if the channel in the threads has a dimple like a AR-15 gas block to make sure it doesn't un thread...

After doing some research for you, the Valor is what the Zeus was supposed to be, so I would go with the Valor.

SJC

I'm not a big fan of using set screws to keep an undertorqued fastener from loosening. The AI system is meaningfully different and exempt from this concern.

Personally I would never get a QC system that relied on a set screw.

AI and DTA seem to have a good track record with their QC systems, though can't say I have personal experience with either.

Reactions: E. Bryant
After doing some research for you, the Valor is what the Zeus was supposed to be, so I would go with the Valor.

SJC
I think you have that backwards….. Joel is great to deal with and the Zeus is a fantastic action.

While I don’t run a suppressor, I’ve never had an issue with the barrel coming loose. I have an adapter for an EC tuner which I’ve tightened on with a wrench and removed without the barrel coming off. When you tighten the barrel you can snap it hard and it’ll seat pretty tight. And then you have the set screws.

Have had no issues with a zues and 2 valors. As I've said before, I run several barrels on all 3 of em interchangeably. I shoot suppressed all the time. They work great. Honestly, I don't think the barrel moves from being hand tight, the set screws just keep it from being able to turn, the barrel still seats against the action on the flat and you can get it pretty tight by hand then tighten set screws.

All that said, I have several actions. If you are that worried about it, just get an action that torqued the barrel on as @spife7980 said.

anything is a quick change with a t-wrench and a $40 barrel vise!

If you're changing barrels at home, there's not really much reason not to just do a standard shouldered barrel.

The argument for quick change in that case would be easy barrel cleaning - but taking a shouldered barrel off is really not that hard.

If you're changing barrels at home, there's not really much reason not to just do a standard shouldered barrel.

The argument for quick change in that case would be easy barrel cleaning - but taking a shouldered barrel off is really not that hard.
two c-clamps and a bench and that baby is coming off at the range too. outside the AI and DT systems I can't see any advantage to the quick change offers when it's been pretty well documented they MAY be negatively impacting accuracy (looking at you WTO).

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas