• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

quick change barrel actions

Islas82

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
North Las Vegas
So besides Terminus and AI does anyone else make quick barrel change actions? thinking about down sizing to just one action with different caliber barrels. I know theres plenty of actions with ample pre-fit support but I would like something that allows me to make changes at the range without the need of a vise or wrench.

Thanks!

Because of your question I remembered seeing this while watching some 7 SAUM videos.

Is Justin still in business? I don't know.

The Curtis Valor has a quick change option. I've chambered barrels for a couple of them, they are nice actions.

Reactions: Islas82
Many options "in theory", but usually hard to find a conversion kit or too expensive.

If you want real quick change (hex keys only), and not action wrench/prefit setups, you are looking at Barrett, AI, Blaser, and a few others, most of which seem to start at 4k+ or so for a rifle, and 1k or so for a barrel.

Reactions: Islas82
I’d say with being QD and prefit, (by prefit I’m assuming ones people keep on the shelf, not that are capable, but you’ll wait 6 months for) your options:

AI AT-X/AT/AX

Curtis valor

Terminus zeus

If short action magnums are important, the either no AI, or you’ll have to get an long action AXMC or AXSR.

Everything else is going to involve kits or machining in something like a WTO switchlug.

You could also just take a viper barrel vice and bolt to a plate that fits in the trailer hitch if you have a truck. Then it’s just 2min to pop a barrel off and on. Keeping them at 75 ft/lbs or even 100, since they won’t be sitting and have never seez or similar, it won’t take hardly any effort to break them loose.

But the above three will be the easiest. There’s less prefits for the AI, though I expect that to change with the X.

Reactions: DJL2 and Islas82
If you want real quick change (hex keys only), and not action wrench/prefit setups, you are looking at Barrett, AI, Blaser, and a few others, most of which seem to start at 4k+ or so for a rifle, and 1k or so for a barrel.
I’d say with being QD and prefit, (by prefit I’m assuming ones people keep on the shelf, not that are capable, but you’ll wait 6 months for) your options:

AI AT-X/AT/AX

Curtis valor

Terminus zeus

If short action magnums are important, the either no AI, or you’ll have to get an long action AXMC or AXSR.

Everything else is going to involve kits or machining in something like a WTO switchlug.

You could also just take a viper barrel vice and bolt to a plate that fits in the trailer hitch if you have a truck. Then it’s just 2min to pop a barrel off and on. Keeping them at 75 ft/lbs or even 100, since they won’t be sitting and have never seez or similar, it won’t take hardly any effort to break them loose.

But the above three will be the easiest. There’s less prefits for the AI, though I expect that to change with the X.
Am leaning towards a Terminus for affordability and pre fit support. The AT-X close second.

A couple years back I was asking the same question you are and I ended up buying an AXMC, for what it's worth.
I like being able to go from 6.5cm to 338lm in 2 minutes with just fixit sticks.
Refresh my memory - difference in size/weight between the AXMC and AX308?

Desert Tech SRS/M2/HTI. The wrench you need is small enough to fit in your back pocket. You can pick up a used A1 chassis for under 3 grand and start snapping up barrels. I change barrels at the range all the time. Takes about 1 minute, very repeatable. I have .223rem, 6XC, .308win, .300WM, .338WM, .338LM.

screen-shot-2022-05-06-at-1.35.17-pm.png

It was barely mentioned; Seekins Havak HIT. Quick change, swappable bolt heads and they are actually delivering caliber exchange kits(unlike AI). Their spare pre-fit barrels are very reasonably priced too.

Reactions: redtr6man
I still use a 3/4 wrench with my ai's ... I get better repeatability with my zero then just using the quick lock screw
Do you just torque using the wrench by hand or do you still give the wrench handle a whack to snug up a bit more like you previously mentioned?

Do you just torque using the wrench by hand or do you still give the wrench handle a whack to snug up a bit more like you previously mentioned?
as long as you get about 60lbft of tq using the flats on the barrel the repeatability will be better than just hand tightened

Usually i get .1-.2 vertical and 0 to .1 horizontal

Can't you just get flats on the barrel and use a wrench to put on and take off. I've seen this and I eventually want to switch to it myself. I'm sure with practice you can get close to same torque by hand. Or there is a barrel vise that is made spefic for range switches I think he's on the hide

Reactions: 260284
Can't you just get flats on the barrel and use a wrench to put on and take off. I've seen this and I eventually want to switch to it myself. I'm sure with practice you can get close to same torque by hand. Or there is a barrel vise that is made spefic for range switches I think he's on the hide

Some bench rest shooters just torque on hand tight, and change barrels like that at the range.

I think wrench flats, a wrench and a gentle tap of a hammer is perfectly up for the task.

A more elegant solution is a Terminus Zeus, or AI/DTA/Barrett/Cadex/etc.

But like you say, many ways to accomplish this.

Some bench rest shooters just torque on hand tight, and change barrels like that at the range.

I think wrench flats, a wrench and a gentle tap of a hammer is perfectly up for the task.

A more elegant solution is a Terminus Zeus, or AI/DTA/Barrett/Cadex/etc.

But like you say, many ways to accomplish this.
If we were all rich haha I'm on poor side

Reactions: kthomas
Wow, only one mention of Desert Tech.

You have to buy a complete rifle instead of just an action, but factory and aftermarket conversion kits and barrels are readily available (as readily as any others at the moment).

One Allen key wrench with an inbuilt torque limiter and you can switch calibres at will, in less than a minute, with almost perfect repeatability.

And they are SHORT rifles.

Reactions: Brym427 and Scopes
Wow, only one mention of Desert Tech.

You have to buy a complete rifle instead of just an action, but factory and aftermarket conversion kits and barrels are readily available (as readily as any others at the moment).

One Allen key wrench with an inbuilt torque limiter and you can switch calibres at will, in less than a minute, with almost perfect repeatability.

And they are SHORT rifles.
There are reasons why nobody mentioned them.....

Is it because their quick change barrels can't be swapped out in under a minute, have no repeatability and they don't shoot tiny little bugholes?

Or is it because of some polygamous death cult bullshit?
Almost bought a DTA with 1500 rounds down the range. It was falling apart level worn out when the seller had me look at it.

Is it because their quick change barrels can't be swapped out in under a minute, have no repeatability and they don't shoot tiny little bugholes?

Or is it because of some polygamous death cult bullshit?

Mags suck, trigger blows, bolt throw is worse than a Savage 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 but yea if you need a short bolt gun there is no competition

Almost bought a DTA with 1500 rounds down the range. It was falling apart level worn out when the seller had me look at it.

Really, what was falling apart level worn out on it?

I have over 1,500rds on mine and would like to know what's going to have already worn out and fallen apart by now.

Mags suck, trigger blows, bolt throw is worse than a Savage 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 but yea if you need a short bolt gun there is no competition

Dunno man, the trigger on my A2 is as crisp as any other factory offering out there.
I have zero problems with the factory short or long action mags.
Bolt location is unconventional, and I agree it isn't the smoothest thing out there, but don't cycle it like a soy and it works fine.

And before you ask. Yes, I have shot an AI. They are no Swiss watch either.

Reactions: M77
I ended up selling my AI and keeping my DT… easier barrel changes imo, repeatable (the ai was repeatable too), and way more versatile. Having the covert going from 16” 450bm for hunting or 223/300blk plinking to a 28” 300prc for long range is awesome.

Yes the mags aren’t nearly as good as a AI nor the buttery bolt throw of an ai, but they’re pretty sweet versatile rigs

Attachments

• AFAB9634-00AB-477B-8660-32F7053A5882.jpeg
    AFAB9634-00AB-477B-8660-32F7053A5882.jpeg
    616.6 KB · Views: 178
  • C8144CB2-D405-4CD6-B212-2D4C1DC82ED1.jpeg
    C8144CB2-D405-4CD6-B212-2D4C1DC82ED1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 178
Dunno man, the trigger on my A2 is as crisp as any other factory offering out there.
I have zero problems with the factory short or long action mags.
Bolt location is unconventional, and I agree it isn't the smoothest thing out there, but don't cycle it like a soy and it works fine.

And before you ask. Yes, I have shot an AI. They are no Swiss watch either.
I ended up selling my AI and keeping my DT… easier barrel changes imo, repeatable (the ai was repeatable too), and way more versatile. Having the covert going from 16” 450bm for hunting or 223/300blk plinking to a 28” 300prc for long range is awesome.

Yes the mags aren’t nearly as good as a AI nor the buttery bolt throw of an ai, but they’re pretty sweet versatile rigs
Do either of you have trouble with mags and feeding. I’m trying to convince myself to pick one up.

Really, what was falling apart level worn out on it?

I have over 1,500rds on mine and would like to know what's going to have already worn out and fallen apart by now.
Mag had split at the weld, safety didn’t work right anymore.

The DTA rifles seem like a neat rifle to fill a pretty niche role. There's too many quirks and compromises in the system for me to consider one for a primary role.

And for those that think that AI bolt throws are "buttery" - try a dialled in custom action sometime. I've handled a lot of AI's, and they are nothing to write home about in that category.

Reactions: Nivium
Do either of you have trouble with mags and feeding. I’m trying to convince myself to pick one up.

None whatsoever with my A2.

The only feeding quirk I have experienced is that the dual ejectors on the WinMag/Lapua bolt head do need a firm push to close the bolt against the spring pressure if you cycle it slowly. This is not unique to the Desert Tech, it is a dual ejector thing. Don't cycle it like a pussy and you won't even notice.

Mine is my go to rifle, as I pick up calibre conversions I am selling off other rifles.

Last edited:
Mag had split at the weld, safety didn’t work right anymore.

The weld had cracked, or it was a gap in the stitch weld? I'll have to have another look, but I remember them only being stitch welded off the top of my head and not one long continuous bead. It may just have been that.

Safety not working right could be the trigger incorrectly adjusted. Not guaranteed, but most likely culprit. The safety on them is pretty simple and there were a few that had a creep adjustment and a few other differences depending on the exact model of rifle you looked at.

From what you've described above. It sure doesn't sound like it was Falling apart worn out, does it.

The weld had cracked, or it was a gap in the stitch weld? I'll have to have another look, but I remember them only being stitch welded off the top of my head and not one long continuous bead. It may just have been that.

Safety not working right could be the trigger incorrectly adjusted. Not guaranteed, but most likely culprit. The safety on them is pretty simple and there were a few that had a creep adjustment and a few other differences depending on the exact model of rifle you looked at.

From what you've described above. It sure doesn't sound like it was Falling apart worn out, does it.
That wasn’t anywhere near all that was worn on that rifle. Just all the shit that was inop on a casual inspection.

I absolutely love my DTA. I think it has the best quick barrel change. It’s always been a 1/2 moa gun except for the 223 kit that was a 1/4 moa gun and I’ll never sell it.

But ....

It doesn’t get as much love as my ARC ‘medes or my Nuke for a few reasons.

1) ergos. I run the Xylo with a custom wood grip and the wife runs a foundation. They’re both inherently easier to get behind and shoot than the DTA even if the DTA is just as accurate mechanically. Also the fact that you can’t change grip size on the DTA is a bit of a downside. I have NBA player sized hands and the wife has tiny hands so the grip is on the small size for me and on the big side for her.
2) it’s heavy for hunting
3) mags and the magwell system are terrible. Although it does allow to load very long which is really nice.
4) If you want to properly balance on a bipod you have to get the RRS adapter which has been discontinued a long time ago. Although I did modify mine to run a full Area 419 weighted arca rail.
5) No proper bag rider.

And for those that think that AI bolt throws are "buttery" - try a dialled in custom action sometime. I've handled a lot of AI's, and they are nothing to write home about in that category.
I don’t know man…. I have a few defiance actions, impact actions, lone peak actions, and surgeon actions, the AI I sold had probably 5k rnds plus on it and it felt the best compared to all my other actions. It really was buttery smooth.
No issues with mags, the 450bm loads I shoot like to have issues feeding every once in a while but for the most part no issues. DT’s like to be run rough, run it like ya mean it.

I've got about 500 rounds from 223/6xc/300wm/330lm out of mine so far. Never had a problem with mag feeding. They're harder to load than an AI mag and sometimes while loading I'll get a round try to nose dive. So far it's been a fantastic rifle.

I was at the range yesterday to break in my .338LM barrel. Was shooting factory S&B 250gr and Lapua 300gr ammo. First 10 rounds of S&B were scattery; had me worrying, and then it tightened right up. After the first 10 rounds I popped 6 5-round groups from 1/2 - 3/4MOA. It only took the first 10 rounds before it stopped speeding up and I got right at the advertised velocity for each kind of 338 ammo. Swapped to my .223 barrel and dialed to my .223 zero, dead on and put 20 rounds in a half inch wide group. With 1 exception, of the barrels I have, they all have zeros within .4mil of each other. The 223 barrel's zero is about a mil lower than the others.

4) If you want to properly balance on a bipod you have to get the RRS adapter which has been discontinued a long time ago. Although I did modify mine to run a full Area 419 weighted arca rail.
5) No proper bag rider.
The M2 chassis has a full length arca-lock rail on the bottom and a full length picatinny rail on the top. Using the UTG (I know) over-bore bipod it's a real honey from prone. Top mounted bipod makes gravity a player in removing cant. The rifle kind of self sets to vertical.

No bag rider is a fact though the rear monopod and the little area behind it seems to work quite well in that respect. It's not as long as I like a bag rider to be but I kind of like the monopod. The fine adjust and rapid adjust and the wide foot on it seem to work really well. I used to hate monopods on principle, this one changed my mind.

Reactions: GoingTheDistance
zero issues with mag feeding, I've never sanded any lips or tweaked mags etc .
223/6.5/308/300wm/338NM