• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes quick detach mounts

thejim2

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2012
new york, USA
I know this has been covered, but I searched for about 2 hours and couldn't find the thread...

I am looking to mount a 30mm tube scope to a AR10 using a quick detach scope mount/base. Just checking to see what other people are using and what products they have had good or bad experiences with.

Thanks, Jim

Re: quick detach mounts

Why a "quick detach"? The only real people that I've come across that take optics on and off with any regularity have been magazine writers and guys that do a lot of demos with different optics. Even then, a regular mount when torqued to the same amount will return just as close to zero as any of the QD mounts.

In my experience with the LaRue's, after I clamp down a LaRue mount to get it tight on the gun, it takes just as long to get it undone as it is to pop off two or three bolts with a small tool and I save my fingers. Besides that, I can't remember the last time I took a LaRue mounted Aimpoint off any of my rifles to necessitate the QD feature.

-Sean

I recently broke a pair and never again...nuffsaid

I guess my question for you is do you real need QD mounts? A lot of folks could probably live with out the QD feature. Are you planing on taking your optic on and off a lot, are you switching between rifles? I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just consider if it's really something you want.

Now I've only had experiences with two different QD mounts. My first was with A.R.M.S. their #22 rings to be precise. I had two sets on rifles at work and one set on my personal rifle. Out of the three I had one fail, the role pin that secures the actual ring to the mount worked its self lose allowing the optic to "wiggle" from side to side when mounted on the rail. Not a terribly good design if your livelihood depends on your rifle holding a zero. I did end up selling my personal set, not even so much because I didn't trust them as it worked fine. I just realized I didn't need them.

After that I kind of swore of QD mounts for my work guns, I just didn't want to trust them. A few years later I won LaRue OBR mount (LT111) and I decided to give it a try. Honestly I wouldn't have shelled out $260+ before I tried it but now I'm a believer and for me it's worth every buck. Currently my personal Leupold 6.5-20x50 Mark 4 ER/T lives inside of this mount and I daily switch this optic between 4 different work guns with calibers between 5.56, 7.62,.300WM and .50BMG depending on what my needs are. I've swapped this optic literally hundreds of times and it always returns to the same zero.

Hope that helps you out a bit. I like LaRue and if was actually going to spend my money I go with them in heartbeat. But that said look around a bit too. A lot of other Dudes have had good luck with other manufactures as well.

American Defense Mounts are very well made and are pretty well regarded on this site for being top notch. And if your military and i think LEO as well they might give a discount.

Heath

Only QD mounts I have are from ARMS (night vision stuff), but I also hear great things about bobro. Seems like a great way to own one high-end optic vs multiple lower end ones.

I use Larue for QD mounts, on my AR's I do swap my optics around quite a bit.

I use Larue for QD mounts, on my AR's I do swap my optics around quite a bit.

GDI, Bobro, Larue, ADM are what i use, in order of what I like best for QD.

If you want true return to zero then GDI mounts... nuffsaid. I have both LaRue and GDI mounts both for rifle optics and red dots. I am getting ride of the LaRue's and standardizing using GDI. In fact, I still have two LaRue SPR mounts "never been used/ still in plastic" that I will never use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rives</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">In fact, I have two...for sale if your interested.</span> </div></div>

Rives, you're gonna get yourself banned for trying to sell before having accumulated 100 posts; just a friendly heads-up.

To the OP, I've had good luck with the American Defense QD mounts but decided to upgrade to the GDI when they had the promotion earlier this year.

I won't use a Larue mount and not just because of Mark Larue but also if you do some research, you'll find where shooters have reported how it has a tendency to work loose over time and has also been known to scar the rail.

Another QD option you might wanna take a look at is the Alamo Four Star.
http://www.alamofourstar.com/index.php?p...rt&Itemid=2

If you aren't dead-set on a QD mount then, <span style="font-style: italic">in my opinion</span>, a Spuhr mount or rings would be the best option.

http://shop.milehighshooting.com/Spuhr-Mounts_c7.htm

I meant it in a sarcastic way. Either way, I have corrected the post in light of the rules which I was not aware of, although that's not a proper excuse.

I have several sets of ARMS . They work as advertised. No complaints.

The american defence mounts have worked great for me. They return to 0 and are built to take a beating

I have 2 bobro mounts one is a 1" the other is a new 35mm model. Both work great and I would buy more. I also swap optics regularly. Always return to zero.

thanks to everyone for the input, I really appreciate it. I am looking for the quick detach mount so I can switch between the regular scope in a QD mount to a NV scope.

Thanks, Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew314</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 2 bobro mounts one is a 1" the other is a new 35mm model. Both work great and I would buy more. I also swap optics regularly. Always return to zero. </div></div>

Where did you find a 35mm Bobro? Is it a dual lever like their new 34mm?

I have a 30mm Bobro, very pleased with it.

Yeah it's dual lever I just called bobro and they had 35mm rings available they upgraded my shipping for free also. Great company to deal with.

I have LaRue, Bobro, and ADM mounts in use. All are good.

I'm considering replacing the current mount on my SCAR17 with the newish and more beefy <span style="font-weight: bold">ADM Delta mount</span> due to the extra forces incurred from that rifle (.308/7.62). It's longer and won't fit some scopes, such as the USO SN4, btw.