• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Quick Detach Rings Recommendations

skeeter355

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
Have a Bushnell HDMR 3.5x21 34mm that I would like to be able to switch between rifles. What quick detach rings would you recommend. Looking for quality that would need minimal to no lapping and would return to zero.

Thanks, Skeeter

First post here, glad to be a member finally. I own 3 (4th on the way) Larue QD mounts, 2 lt104 in both 35mm and 34mm, and 1 lt111 in 30mm. I have been extremely happy with them and they return zero every time. The success and repeat-ability of the system depends on if you setup the lever system correctly. Watch larue's videos and you will see what I mean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBI3YOnNj7Y&list=UULspzHzaGg1htQdRWgPKG_Q&index=14

I actually just ordered an HDMR with an H59 last week and I chose the lt104 for that one as well.

It is my opinion that the Bobro is a better mount than the Larue in that the lever is easier to attach and detach, is self adjusting for different rails, and offers greater gripping force. However, the 34mm Bobro is a whopping $325 and an LT 158 is only $210.

I should mention that I use an LT 158 as my precision rifle mount because, switching scopes out as much as I do for reviews and swapping scopes out between rifles for my own use, quick detach makes a lot of sense. Also, and probably more importantly, I had the mount on hand when I bought the scope. However, I have found that in order to get the Larue tight enough to eliminate all movement and really hold zero requires that I tighten the lock nut after mounting with the wrench. Obviously, this negates the quick release functionality as it then requires the wrench to loosen the mount before it can be removed. Nevertheless, the extra tension seems to be necessary if you want to remove any movement in the system. I have been holding off on replacing this Larue for some time because the scope it is mounted with is also on the chopping block. When I replace this mount and scope, the mount for the new scope will most likely be the Bobro 34mm dual lever. It will be faster for me to switch from rifle to rifle and I think that its gripping force is superior.

I guess my summary of all this is that I find but the Larue and Bobro serviceable as a precision rifle mount in most situations. To get the Larue to hold perfectly I have found you have to use a tool but without the tool it holds well enough to not be noticed as a week point with most shooters and rifles. The Bobro has, so far, performed perfectly for me. I have also tried the ADM which I found to be lacking. I have not tried the GDI.

Last edited:
Larue mounts = shit. For quick detach mounts take a look at GDI Engineering, SPUHR, and American Defense. I've used the American Defense AD Recon with good results and currently own the GDI. Many here swear by SPUHR but I've not had the opportunity to use one.

I wouldn't use any QD on a precision rifle. A good set of rings and a torque wrench is all that is needed. Easy to move scope around and you know it will be solidly attached to the rifle.

Also AR style mounts will place the scope pretty high off the rifle, assuming it's a bolt gun.

Anybody tried the Warne QD steel rings? How'd they perform after remounting (return to zero)?

I use a step below that. I use Warne QD Aluminum rings on my precision rifle and a couple AR's. They return to <1 MOA on all my rifles. Someday I may upgrade but for now, they work for me. I'm not easy on my gear, but I'm not throwing it off of buildings either.

I have a set of the warne qd rings and they are ok. Next set will be the spuhr.
This is the first I have heard complaints about the laRue. But I haven't used the qd setup

I use ADM for Aimpoints, GDI for scopes, and Larue for lights and other crap. Larue used to be the best thing for QD scope mounts but not anymore. I love all Larue's stuff except for the scope mounts. Last time I emailed Spuhr he said he had no plans for a QD mount.

I do what Rob does. Use Badger or similar with a torque wrench and can switch between guns easily, plus I know it is rock solid when on the gun.

Bushnell 3.5x21 50mm with 34mm scope rings on a Remington 700 - Help/Advice

I'd like to get more feedback on everyone's experience with mounting the Bushnell 3.5x21 50mm on 34mm scope rings.

I'm certainly having some trouble so any 'real' advice will be appreciated. First, this is the probably the most expensive scope I have ever bought so i want to get it right and get it mounted as close to perfectly as possible.

The lead slinger is a remington 700 SRS (with suppressor from AAC). I put on the Larue Tactical Picatinny mount which looks great and of course now the height build up begins. I am not changing stocks at this point but if I do I'll go with Accuracy International. Again, i want to use the scope/rifle now.
I then purchased the LT120 from Larue Tactical to mount this beast of a scope. Which looked great but when I get a good check-to-stockwell I would need an eyeball in the top of my forehead (or fivehead) to see through the scope. So entirely to high of a mount for a bolt gun.

I did some measurements and what I really need is something that has a ring heigh somewhere between .270 and .3 in to keep the scope bell off the rifle barrel and still put the scope in line with my eye.

I looked Warne - and I'm still awaiting clarification of which models are picatinny/weaver/QD ect. Some are recommending the 220LM from Warne. Brownells howevers shows this part as a weaver only - very confusing.

So what have you guys seen/done this year with this scope on a bolt gun.

btw Larue was pretty shitty after the fact when I told them it mounted way to high and I bought the $264 mount based on their recommendations via email. Their answer was "well we specialize in AR mounts" That's great so why did you recommend it then? I've got lots of Larue components so I wont say anything else perhaps my customer service experience was a one-off.

DBP, I note this is your first post - welcome aboard.

Are you actually after a QD mount? If so, read Rob's response below and re-think.

I wouldn't use any QD on a precision rifle. A good set of rings and a torque wrench is all that is needed. Easy to move scope around and you know it will be solidly attached to the rifle.

Also AR style mounts will place the scope pretty high off the rifle, assuming it's a bolt gun.

I agree with Rob's assessment. I run the same Bushnell optic on my GAP using Badger 20 MOA rail and 1" Badger rings (306-14). There is clearance for bikini covers, and allows for a good cheek weld using the McM A5 stock. I use Badger rings on four different optics, and can remove and install any of them (using a good torque wrench/driver) without any change in POI.

Bottom line, use QUALITY rings (which there are several manufacturers) and refrain from QD on a precision rifle.

+1. Rob, you make this too easy.

The spuhr are pretty much one of the nicest mounts and most solid made but they don't have a QD model, hopefully that will change in the future!

I do what Rob does. Use Badger or similar with a torque wrench and can switch between guns easily, plus I know it is rock solid when on the gun.

I asked the same question a while back and Rob recommended the same. I followed his advice. These forums are awesome when experienced guys jump in.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

If you really want to stick with LaRue, they do make seperate QD rings as well as their standard one piece mounts..
I guess not having a torque wrench kind of puts standard type rings off the table. (Not sure if you have one or not) I know I'm the only one out of all my shooting buddies that has one. Now that I have one, I use it all the time!

When I take my S&B off my DTA and put it back on in the same grooves, it's dead on zero every time. See no need for QD mounts on a precision rifle. Good luck!