• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quick Load

John Glidewell

Rag Hole Precision
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2018
Reno, NV
How many folks are running QL? If you are running QL what do you look for? Do you look at barrel time, powder fill to %burn? I know there is a lot of info in QL and I have had mixed results, but barrel time seems to work fairly well but not always. Just wondering if there are any other things to look at. I know in the end the rifle says what it likes and QL is just a tool. Thanks for any insight.

I use it regularly to get first indications of where to go with a load ladder when testing new rifles, bullets, and powders. I mostly look at estimated velocity, case fill, burn percentage, and the load warnings in the load table. I've learned post-firing to match the velocity predicted, to the velocity achieved ... and they usually come pretty close. If they don't ... I dig deeper to figure out "why". Used to start right at the high edge, but now start ladders about 3-4 grains below the first warning level, and load up from there. Also learned to be happy with a nice flat velocity node, even if I haven't started to see pressure signs. Bottom line ... I've spent way more on way less useful tools. I use it, and like it. Not everybody does. Like you said ... it's one of many tools to use (or not).

I use it and like it a lot.

Optimal Barrel time gets a good starting point. I too have learned to start with the second node down. That has saved me from unpleasant surprises when I have found significantly higher velocities at the lower node than expected.

You do need to input case capacity, COAL, barrel length, and adjust the powder burn rate based on actual velocities to get meaningful results.

I also use it to find more suitable powders at a given barrel time. That led me to Reloder 26 early on.

My only complaint is the Users’ Manual is worse than useless If you can find it.

Buy with confidence.

Hands down the best investment I ever made in reloading over the years. It saves so much time by allowing you to test different component combos and other parameters, which ultimately saves me time and $$$.

Reactions: John Glidewell
My only complaint is the Users’ Manual is worse than useless If you can find it.

Non-native English speaker programmer writing his own documentation in English is a recipe for a useless manual in English.

There's some handy advice on how to get the most out of QL in this article:

Reactions: John Glidewell