• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Quick 'n Dirty review of the Zeiss PRF LRF

LibertyOptics

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2004
Kalispell Montana
www.libertyoptics.com
Hiders,

Had one of the new Zeiss 8x26 PRF's out this weekend, had a chance to work with it and show to a few visitors. My impressions:

A nice-sized, handy unit. Fits in the palm of (my) hand. Only two buttons make it simple to operate. Came in the box programmed for meters; switching to yards was easy to do. Very nice clear glass makes it easier to use (it's a Zeiss). The reticle is nice and bright, narrow enough for good precision aiming. Max 4 second reading time but it usually did it in 1 sec or so....

Performance?

In bright sunny conditions, I was able to lase brush to 895 yards pretty easily. I managed a reading of 1248 yards at a residence across the river. Another reading of 1125 yards on another building was very quick! All of my readings were handlheld; I'm a bit jittery and presume having the LRF on a rest improves distance ability.

Not finding a suitable target longer than the 1248 yards, I went for a walk and found a nice vantage point and tried to see how far it would go. Right after sunset I nailed what appeared to be a hay storage shed at 1433 yards....nice.

I've no doubt with a steady rest and perfect conditions the Victory PRF is 1500 yard capable...maybe further? While maybe not at Swarovski's level, it's cheaper and lighter and seems more capable than the Leica CRF...I like it, and our "testers" at the shop were impressed too.

Just FYI....

Scott

Re: Quick 'n Dirty review of the Zeiss PRF LRF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks scott, Ive been hoping to hear a review about the zeiss. </div></div>

Yeah, I haven't seen much so I'd thought I'd get this party started LOL.

I'll get out with the truck and use a rest and see how far we can push it this week...

May I make a request? Try ranging some deer and see how far you can get a reliable return, if possible...

10-4, deer are not in short supply here and if I strike out we have tons of livestock, including llamas!

Yes, it has a scan mode and a Ballistic Information System program capability.

Zeiss did a nice job with the website on the PRF. It also made the Outdoor Life Editor's Choice (not that it matteres to anyone HERE...
wink.gif

http://www.zeiss.com/sports

Outdoor Life page

Hmm, guess I'm glad I waited to get the Leica then.

I'm very pleased with mine, had it since November '08. I haven't had an opportunity to range deer over 700.... yet. Taking it to the prairie dog town this coming weekend and will post more after I get back. Jason

Wow, talk about quick shipping. Thanks Scott!

Haven't gotten the chance to try it out past a few hundred yards yet, but so far I like it better than the Leica's and Swarro's I've used (the Swarro reticle it just too big for me).

Congratulations on the Zeiss Ratbert. How does it compare to the Nikon we used at the class recently? It certainly can't be any better.
wink.gif

Because I don't want to have to upgrade. Damn it!
laugh.gif

As far as the glass is concerned the Nikon would be better compared with the Bushnell Pinseeker I use for golf.
laugh.gif

You junior glass whore snob.
grin.gif

But so am I. I got to check your new Zeiss LRF out. I already got an order in with Scott for the new mil tactical spotter by Bushy. I don't want to have to get the Zeiss LRF as well.

I need some one to buy my Pentax 65ED spotter and Nikon Monarch 1200 LRF. Scott you take trades?
wink.gif

Is the readout in black or red like the Leica? I could use a new LRF but I have to be able to see it at night.

It appears that it is a red self-illuminating LED display. I like the circular cross-hair retical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M21 Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It appears that it is a red self-illuminating LED display. I like the circular cross-hair retical.</div></div>

Eye, that is so. Worked great on the golf course today. Kinda overkill for measuring sub-250yd distances, but I had no problem hitting the flag.

Given how good the glass is and how much magnification there is, I wish they'd made the focusing lever a bit more integral to the system. The diopter adjustment works well enough for focusing on objects at longer range but it clearly wasn't intended to be used as a major alternative to binos.

I really wish they'd turn these out as (relatively) low cost LRF mini-bino's. I would quite happily pay $1000 to have these as bino's with the exact same glass/objective-size.

You can have the same LRF in binos - but not for 1000USD...

Look for the Zeiss Victory RF 8x45 T* and 10x45 T*. I have the former and it's superb. But for the price, it's to be expected. I guess the "only" advantage it brings for the price is that you have one item less to keep track of compared to carrying one LRF and binos.

Well, I was thinking of them being still 8x26; not 8x45 or some such. Just add a second lens to the same basic form factor.

This is simply the best rangefinder I have used. The display is clear and easy to read. Zeiss has achieved a more precise reading at longer distances by using the tightest laser beam of all the rangefinding instruments. This allows less misreads in fog, rain, snow, and through foliage.

The BIS system is easy to match up your ballistics with. Zeiss has close to 1500 factory loads programmed on their website.
2ai1uae.png

33di5g2.png

If you will look at the specs, the Zeiss PLRF has one of the largest beams, unlike the 10x45 RF's. They have one of the smallest. The beam divergence on the PLRF's measure 4x2 milrads where as the beam divergence on the RF's measure .5 x 1.5 milrads. I have the RF's and have tested the PLRF's side by side. The small beam size on the RF's definitely has an advantage over the PLRF's trying to range small targets where you have bigger targets just in front and to the side of what you are trying to range.

I have been using the Zeiss PRF for about a week now and I have to say I'm very impressed with it. Known distances at the range out to 620 yds are spot on. I ranged a single tree across the valley to the golf course several times at 1423 yds.

The 8x glass is very sharp edge to edge with a wide field of view. I too would prefer that these were binos and can't understand why the Zeiss Victory RF 8x45 T* cost $2900 in comparison. Oh well. The red illuminated reticule seems to be the right size for accurate rangefinding and it locks on a range incredibly fast. The LRF itself is very compact and lightweight with a high quality, durable look and feel to it. Highly recommended.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911.it</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been using the Zeiss PRF for about a week now and I have to say I'm very impressed with it. Known distances at the range out to 620 yds are spot on. I ranged a single tree across the valley to the golf course several times at 1423 yds.

The 8x glass is very sharp edge to edge with a wide field of view. I too would prefer that these were binos and can't understand why the Zeiss Victory RF 8x45 T* cost $2900 in comparison. Oh well. The red illuminated reticule seems to be the right size for accurate rangefinding and it locks on a range incredibly fast. The LRF itself is very compact and lightweight with a high quality, durable look and feel to it. Highly recommended. </div></div>

Thanks for your comments and review! We've both hit 1400 yards+ with it, I've yet to use it on a rest.

I think Zeiss has a real winner here. A "just right" product.

Take care,

Scott

Any updates on how well it ranges deer sized animals...per the earlier post?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any updates on how well it ranges deer sized animals...per the earlier post? </div></div>

Yes please, inquiring minds wish to know!

Looks like a real nice LRF! Any chance any of the ballistic ranging profiles happen to display in mils?

What is the price of that piece of equipement?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a real nice LRF! Any chance any of the ballistic ranging profiles happen to display in mils? </div></div>

Good question. There is a metric and inches (moa) option in the range, but not sure of the display in the BIS.

MAP price on the Zeiss LRF is $699

Deer sized objects are a snap, but I've only attempted on up to 300 yards.

Scott

I've hit deer and elk out to 850 so far with it. I sent an email off about the mils question. I'll let you know what I find out.

The current model is the only one that they are going to release for now. In the metric setting, it will give you distance in meters and holdover in centimeters.