• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quick question about .408 Chey and its wildcats.

Blackhawk95

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2008
Mississippi
Hello guys,

Im thinking about a future project using either a .338 or .375 round based off the .408 Chey-Tac case.

My main question is one of reloading dies. Does the .408 case use a standard press or the .50BMG with the larger dies?

thanks,

Jerid

Re: Quick question about .408 Chey and its wildcats.

I couldn't use my Rockchucker comfortably, so I bought an Ammomaster 2. The .408 dies I got required a bushing, most being 1 1/4"-14 I believe from CH4D. They have some runs where they make them 1 1/4" and others where they do 1", if I recall - depends on how their setup is arranged at the time you order. For example, my Straightline Seater and FL Sizer dies are 1 1/4" but my bushing Neck Sizer is a tad smaller.

You can use a "regular" press like the redding mag press for resizing,etc but when it comes to seating the bullets they won't come out because they are too long unless you unscrew the die some to get it out. So get the 50bmg press and you will have enough room.Get the CH4D stuff Dogtown mentioned.......

Yes but you will probably have to unscrew the die some to get a loaded round out.

Re: Quick question about .408 Chey and its wildcat

I have ran noels bullets out to 4.8" in my rcbs press just fine. Didnt have to change nothing. you unscrew the adapter in the top and your ready to go. The redding big boss is also a good press that can handle these just fine. The 50 bmg press needs a adapter made to size it down from 1.5"-12 to 1.25"-12. And you cannot use a 1" die body it leaves very very little material left after finished.