• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quick question on long range .22 shooting

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I have an Anschutz Match 64. I just installed a 20moa base from Rinfire Technologies. I got my Vari-X III 6.5-20x40 1" tube EFR back from Leupold and mounted it using some Leupold medium height QRW quick release rings.
I know the 1" tube limits the available elevation adjustment. I bought a 20moa base as my rifle's poi was very low using rings mounted directly to the dovetail rail with 2 different scopes. The 20moa base should compensate for some of the problem but I won't have the full 20moa elevation boost I would if the rail was flat- it has a slight rise at the front.

My question is- without doing a lot of math, will this setup, using good high velocity ammo, reach out to 200 yards? Or should I save my time and ammo and stick to 50-100 yards?

Jim

Re: Quick question on long range .22 shooting

I would suspect you'll be fine. I have a CZ 452 with the Rimfire 20 MOA rail, and a cheap Simmons 8-32 scope currently mounted on it. I'm using holdovers so far, not having confirmed the repeatability of adjustment changes, but when zeroed at 50 yards I have no trouble out to 200. The round, on the other hand, is really at the mercy of these canyon winds by that point.

Thanks. I just wanted a rough guess. This scope should have very repeatable adjustments, and the target knobs are easy to use.

Jim

I shoot Eley HV in my 10-22 and from a 50 yd. zero it takes @20 moa to zero at 200 yds. Standard target velocity ammo will need @ 24-27 moa. I would suggest trying Burris Signature rings with the offset inserts. You can get much more elevation and also compensate for windage if need be to center the travel in your scope. I use them on all my rimfire rifles. Shooting longer ranges with .22s is addicting.
West

I have some very accurate standard velocity ammo- some old Olin (Winchester) from the DCM and some old Remington. Both are very accurate at 50 yards. Now that I have the Leupold back I will see how good this rifle is.
I will try at 200 with this setup before I start changing rings.

Jim

I have shot with / against West in Pala. He has one hell of a 10/22 and is an outstanding shooter to boot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">50-0
75-3 moa
100 - 6 1/2 moa
125 - 11 moa
135 - 12 moa
150 - 14 moa
200 - 25 moa.

buy these rings with the insert kit.
You don't need high velocity ammo.
Buy some Wolf or SK.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=416175 </div></div>

I started this thread on RimFire Central. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279660

I just mounted a second set on a CZ Varmint and used the +-20 inserts on a HotRod9mm rail. I haven't shot it yet but am eager to try them out.

Still waiting to hear from Burris.

Keith

I have a anschutz with 20 Moa mounted with a night force 3.5x15 with npr1 reticle
shot with standard velocity ammo average of 1080 on the chrono
sighted on 50 yards needed 7 moa to reach 100 yard and used the 19 bar in the reticle to reach 200 yards and each bar covers 1 inches at 100 yards
and if with a simple cross hair I would need 19 Moa of elevation....
so sighted in at
50 yards
100 yards 7 moa up
200 yards 19 moa up.....
so if your scope has 26 moa when sighted in at 50 yards you are ok.....
in short just like KS above....

Looking forward to it West. The Saugus matches are outstanding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West H. Jones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Mark, I'm going to try to make next month's 22 match at Saugus
West </div></div>

also try it with standard velocity or match type ammo. although you'll have more drop, it's more predictable in the wind, and some good match / target ammo is more consistant round to round. with your setup, you should be good at 200 yards and even further while zeroing at 50. keep a data card and you should be able to shoot 50, 100, 150, 200, etc.
2367.jpg

2368.jpg