• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quick question on Redding body die

bricktop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
State College, PA
Was looking at getting one for 260, but then I though that the 308 one should work for it as well, and for 7mm-08, 243, etc. Is there any reason that the 308 body die would not work for all of the smaller caliber 308-based cartridges? Has anyone else used their 308 body die for this?

Re: Quick question on Redding body die

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bricktop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was looking at getting one for 260, but then I though that the 308 one should work for it as well, and for 7mm-08, 243, etc. Is there any reason that the 308 body die would not work for all of the smaller caliber 308-based cartridges? Has anyone else used their 308 body die for this? </div></div>

Shoulder 'length' difference.

They all share the same 20* shoulder angle, but the actual lengths of those shoulders are 'all' different for the 243, 260, 7/08 and 308.

I would say that you can't use a 308 body die on the others, even though it's the 'parent' case for the former 3 carts.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoulder 'length' difference.

They all share the same 20* shoulder angle, but the actual lengths of those shoulders are 'all' different for the 243, 260, 7/08 and 308.</div></div>

True, although the shoulder length only varies due to the distance needed to reach the caliber, near the base of the neck. All of the cartridges are 1.5598" case to bottom of shoulder (where the brass is moved/rolled-in when bumping the shoulder), and are ~0.4539" dia. at the shoulder-case intersection (The 308 Forster headspace gauges I have work for all of the child cartridges as well). The body die is already opened up at the neck for a 308, so I can't see why a little more opening when using the smaller calibers would hurt. I might just be losing it, though.

Then again, maybe the brass would flow a bit out/up at the opening for the neck, and they make the neck-hole on the 308 one just big enough to fit the biggest fired neck diameters there are. And if a little flows out/up for tight-neck chambers or thin necks, then it's not as noticeable...

Was mainly interested in this just because... They are already pretty cheap at $25, but wanted to think this one through.