• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quick question, Savage 308 to 223

Swift

Chief Bagel Technician
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Cleveland, OH
My Savage has been my backup match rifle but new additions have bumped it to a trainer. Do I need a 223 firing pin or just the bolt head and magazine? Don't wanna be piercing primers. Thanks, guys.

Re: Quick question, Savage 308 to 223

I believe that is going to depend on how old your rifle is...I love Savage, but the company keeps on changing things on their rifles and that is a PITA.

should just be a bolthead and possibly a block that attaches to the side of the bolt (adjusts bolt travel)

Or, fast twist 22-250 with the 80 and 90 grain pills.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">should just be a bolthead and possibly a block that attaches to the side of the bolt (adjusts bolt travel)

Or, fast twist 22-250 with the 80 and 90 grain pills. </div></div>

Is bolt travel an issue? I can't imagine rounds will pop out the ejector port on their way into the chamber.

The ammo cost for a .223 trainer is significantly cheaper than a 22-250. Accuracy is not a priority, nor is reliable feeding so low grade, $5 a box is the ticket.

The savage .223's come from the factory with a block on the side of the bolt (at least my dad's 10FP did).
Not sure how necessary it is. Maybe they put it on the LE rifle for reliability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The savage .223's come from the factory with a block on the side of the bolt (at least my dad's 10FP did).
Not sure how necessary it is. Maybe they put it on the LE rifle for reliability. </div></div>

My stevens rifle has it. I am going to rock a 308 now. Pm me if ur interested in swapping.

The "bolt block" he's referring to is officially called an "extended front bolt baffle", and it reduces the length of bolt throw for 204/223 rounds. This isn't necessary if feeding from a blind mag, but is helpful.

If you run DBM and AICS 223 magazines from a SHORT ACTION, the extended front bolt baffle won't let the bolt go far enough back to pick up a round from the magazine...so you use a non-extended (308) front bolt baffle in that instance.

If you are converting a LONG ACTION Savage to 223, then things are a wee bit more complicated but certainly no big deal.

As for the firing pin...I dunno, but its possible. When I converted my 110 in .270 Win to a 223 with an old long action .378 bolt head I started seeing pierced primers on moderate to hot reloads, never on factory loads. I switched to CCI-450s and haven't seen the problem again.

Cypriss, PM sent about the bolt

The(short) action sits in an XLR so it's gonna run the AICS poly mags. They still make those, right?