• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Quick questions about Production Class?

Gmofftarki

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2017
1. Are the rails and rings of the rifle considered part of the rifle and/or optic when doing the MSRP calculation?
2. Why are Weaver scopes disallowed from Production (Or at least not listed in Appendix 3 on the list of approved scope manufacturers)?

1. Are the rails and rings of the rifle considered part of the rifle and/or optic when doing the MSRP calculation?
2. Why are Weaver scopes disallowed from Production (Or at least not listed in Appendix 3 on the list of approved scope manufacturers)?

According to page 19 of the online version of the 2017 PRS rule book:

1) Bipods, slings, bases, rings, or other mounting devices are not considered modifications and their price doesn't factor in (see their exact language if need be)

2) It appears that they compiled a pretty decent list of common scopes that are acceptable for use and meet the criteria but that doesn't necessarily mean that a Weaver scope wouldn't be allowed. At the top of page 19 is an overview of how Rifle/optic choices are listed. They provide an email where you can submit your equipment question for review and they will either add it to the list of approved items or will tell you it's not allowed. I have no idea if they'd also provide a reason for its disqualification, but if it meets the apparent guidelines and is still not allowed I'd guess they may tell you why.

My question out of pure curiosity for for those of y'all who shoot PRS is: how stringently do they enforce the "modifications" rules for production? I ask simply because I was thinking my old 700 in .308 might have been a fun rifle to start with. I figured it would completely eliminate any pressure on me to perform and simply allow me to shoot for fun. A factory 1:12 Rem barrel, cut down to 18" w an original DMR or old mismatched Mk4 SFP (not that I'd use it) on it seemed to be in the spirit of "production". But reading the rules I'm nowhere close: It's been trued, it's in a Manners T4 with DBM, I don't run a brake but I had the barrel threaded, hell even the oversized bolt knob seems to be a no-go.
It would meet the "tactical" category, but I've got my GAP for that and I'm back into a mental (if not actual) arms race.

Hell, maybe I'll pull out my Service Rifle with the flat top and be a poodle shooter.

I am also wondering if a brake can be added to a factory threaded barrel. I am thinking it is a no, but would like to find out for sure. Thanks.