• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quick Release Sako TRG bipod adapter

frankythefly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2010
Colorado
Hey guys I have a Sako TRG and a month ago came up with an Idea to build a quick release Sako TRG spigot rail adapter for the Atlas Bipod. Then I wanted something that I could mount a Dbal on the side, and NVG mount. So my friend and I made an adapter that does it all and is quick release.(To install simply push it in, then push the button to take it out)

This is still in Beta!

I have yet to add the NVG adapter which will go around the barrel and mount to the sides of the adapter.

I am making a gen II which will be closer to the Barrel, have steel release button, and place a slight taper in the part that goes into the TRG. I am also going to cut off about 1/2 inch, and use better rails than the magpul polymers one(these where just for demo)

Anyhow here are the picts, Note that there is no more play in this adapter than that of the Atlas Spigot adapter for the AICS. Also it works very nicely with the W3C chassis from KRG.

trgbipodadapter1.jpg

trgbipodadapter2.jpg

krgbipodadapter1.jpg
krgbipodadapter2.jpg
bipodadapter.jpg

Any suggestions?(Other than the fixes listed above that I already making to the next one)

Re: Quick Release Sako TRG bipod adapter

I suggest you let me test one or two for you. Other than that it looks good. I like how it is removable.

This is very cool. Thanks for sharing.

joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suggest you let me test one or two for you. Other than that it looks good. I like how it is removable. </div></div>
Send me a PM and I will send the next (GEN II) prototype out to you.

Hey you scooped us! haha.

Nice work. That's very similar to one we had done up. Ours kind of got pushed to the back burner with the holidays, Accushot's mount, and whatnot.

A couple tips for this: Do not make it protrude into the barrel channel in the backbone. There's not a ton of clearance there on the TRG or the W3C. Accushot's mount protrudes into the barrel channel which may limit the barrel diameter a guy can run. Also on your NV mount, if you can make it ajustable or again there may be barrel clearance problems or it might sit too high.

Keep up the good work, it's cool to see guys make good functional stuff.
Justin

The GEN II version is almost completed. My friend did a really great job. The Gen II goes into the Chassis a but further which makes it a little more stronger. However the TRG has the stock blocks so we designed a fork style to bypass the stock blocks. I noticed the KRG W3C chassis has the Barrel a little lower than the TRG but this Design leaves plenty of Clearance for both and for straight blank contours. Perhaps maybe even too much. More picts to Follow on Monady

This is funny. Nobody has a TRG adapter I am pushed to make one and I push it back as much and as often as possible then finally do one. Now there is one here and possibly another from Massoud! Where were you guys a year ago?! LOL
smile.gif

Massoud, I believe you can go up to 1.25 barrel OD at the area where our bracket sits in the channel. (That is why we used thin heat treated steel for that section)

frankythefly, that is a lot of work and it looks great. I have a question, when you say; "Note that there is no more play in this adapter than that of the Atlas Spigot adapter for the AICS." are you talking about our AI spigot with the tension knob or our original AI spigot?

Kasey,
Massoud is my screen name, I'm Justin from KRG, we talked quite a bit about this and some other stuff. It's ok, I can't remember past yesterday either hardly, haha.

Looking forward to Gen II pics!
Justin

LOL, that's funny and why I went with "Kasey"!
smile.gif
I seriously thought about adding "KRG" to my post above but then thought that was none of my business!!! Would have been funny though in a weird sort of way...!

Well you know I chased several rabbits trying to get the TRG right, in fact I believe I even encouraged you to do one.... I learned a lot from the AI effort which changed my direction to a fixed platform. Are you still going for a TRG spigot? Your work is flawless, TRG folder is killa kool, so I'm sure it would be GTG.

Anyhow, if time allows please stop by at SHOT, I'll be in 20135 (which is fairly close to Badger) and if your folder has a rail on the under carriage, bring one, I'll buy it and put it on our TRG demo stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is funny. Nobody has a TRG adapter I am pushed to make one and I push it back as much and as often as possible then finally do one. Now there is one here and possibly another from Massoud! Where were you guys a year ago?! LOL
smile.gif

Massoud, I believe you can go up to 1.25 barrel OD at the area where our bracket sits in the channel. (That is why we used thin heat treated steel for that section)

frankythefly, that is a lot of work and it looks great. I have a question, when you say; "Note that there is no more play in this adapter than that of the Atlas Spigot adapter for the AICS." are you talking about our AI spigot with the tension knob or our original AI spigot?

</div></div>

This one does not go near the barrel channel. It also feels about the Same as the Tension AI Spigot adapter meaning no play. However, It may not be the same in all TRGs due to manufacturing differences. With this in mind my friend came up with a clever idea of having a tension type system that is part of the locking lever. This would enable a tight fit in all TRGs. With longer surface area, fork system and the adjustable tension locking lever this seems to be a pretty solid unit.

"However, It may not be the same in all TRGs due to manufacturing differences."

This exactly.

Add that most people have had no experience with the TRG bipod so they think the mating will be tight like the Harris, it's not so then you hear "it is loose" which is why we came up with the tension knob on the AI spigot.

And for the TRG, we did a lever style release prototype then started hearing from AI users they wanted it to be tight and figured TRG owners would want the same. So took Hellbender's advice and dropped the lever and went with a fixed bracket, added a rail and with a lever style mount the front end can be cleaned up quick.

Yours looks real good and it sounds like you guys have resolved the tolerance issue so good on you! Good luck and if I can be of any service, let me know.

I am looking for something exactly like this. I have run into issues with the ITRS and the IOR with 50mm objective. I would like to see updates and a final version SOON.

Yeah your not the only one, will get some pictures and prototypes sent out...pretty soon.

Looking very forward to playing with one of these.

Hey guys, a lot is going on, however I think we are done. Instead of having one model do it all we decided on 3 maybe 4 different ones.
Model A: Will be for Harris Type Bipods looks like above but rounded and is about 2 inches shorter with a sling stud.

Model B: Will look like above but shorter and have a machined Mil-STD-1913/Picatinny rail to get the bipod closer to the barrel and for strength (True One piece design)

Model C: Will look like above and have a night vision cage on top along with rails on the side and bottom.

Model D: Is just the end portion of the adapter but is a retrofit upgrade for the TRG bipod with locking cant, this is for people like me who do not like the looseness of the $500 TRG bipod, but still want to use the TRG Bipod.

We have a unique way(s) to make each adapter fit all the different TRG Chassis and even the new W3C chassis from KRG with no wiggle or play, but yet be able to remove with ease.

Next week should get some picts up.

I'd be interested in buying the Model B, and if you need me test or evaluate the Model D in snow, ice, and cold, let me know.

model B for me please. I have a couple of TRG chasis that would appreciate the QR facility. Just hope you will supply to the UK.

Very interested in model B, would be perfect for my W3 chassis

Looks great!

I have a KRG Whiskey 3 Gen2 folder, and shoot around 1000 rounds a month if you need a tester.

Will the legs of a 6-9 pod stick out past the barrel on a 20" gun?

Looks like Model A will be dropped, if someone really wanted they could just get a rail to sling swivel adapter.

Looks like next week we will began a batch and send out the prototypes hopefully in 7-10 days.

finbox, pm me your address.

Also the machined m1913 rail is going to be close to 2 inches long. Alloy is 7075, with tool steel release/locking lever.

Frank:

Very slick design. The ingenuity of TRG fans is not to be understated. There are some really, really innovative things out there and I am amazed by how many TRG shooters head out to the machine shop and MAKE the things they can't buy.

I did my own adapter for an Atlas about a year ago, but it was a one-off and nowhere near as well-engineered as that.

The design also seems to lend itself to create some very interesting side rail (and even top rail) options. The Sako ITRS system leaves a lot to be desired. I got one to play with and ended up having to extensively modify it to clear the objective bell of my scope. And even then, the side rails don't protrude out from the stock far enough to 'do' anything worthwhile with them. I had wanted to mount a PEQ2... but no chance. I will say that the Sako ITRS does catch vegetation and grass better than a sickle mower.

Anyway, just a thought on a great design. Between your work, Atlas, Spuhr, and the KRG folks, we in the Sako community are in great hands!

Keep up the good work! Cheers, Sirhr

Update, our main CNC programmer comes back from vacation tomorrow. Everything is being built at an ISO 9001 complaint facility utilizing latest in CNC machines. The programming takes the longest to get done. So I am thinking an additional 10 days to completion for the newest prototypes. We all have day jobs and this is just a fun project, but we are extremely motivated to get this done.

This is great, a lot of us have been hoping/asking for something like this for a few years now! Whoever gets a solid design on the market is going to sell a ton of them. Model B sounds like the ticket for me, just something small/short and bare-bones to get a Atlas mounted up.

Looks like B's the winner. Good choice of materials.
I'm in for one.

any prototype pieces or pictures out there other than whats above? any progress?

This project has costed more than I thought it would. Had issues with one of the drawings for the latch assembly which set us back a week. Also trying to source material has been more troublesome than I thought. I can get either really thin stock or really huge stock, so getting what I wanted also set this project 2 weeks back. The good thing is that once all these small issues are resolved it will be smooth sailing. I will find out more on the status tomorrow and let everyone know.

Haha yeah it's not easy getting something to real production, but keep at it. Wait until you try to get your parts anodized. You will find a new reason to hate life, haha.
Justin

Stay after it, I am very interested in this project. Remember if it was easy everybody would do it.

I made one almost identical about a year ago...but yours looks much prettier...

Hopefully end of this week will have some done. I am going to have some cerakote and some anodized to see which one will hold up better. Never had anything anodized to "milspec" so will see how much that will tweak the dimensions. The good thing is that the adapter is made in a way that can be a custom fit for any TRG or KRG W3C, as long as the coating from the cerakote or anodizing isn't to thick.

We figure in around .0007 to .001 buildup per side with Type III anodize (hard anodize). It shouldn't affect your part except maybe at the pivot pin hole.

No idea on Cerakote.
Justin

First Batch is done and all the dimensions tested correct and to spec. My friend is supposed to upload the pictures of the adapter in the "white" unfinished. Looks pretty nice, need to talk to LL about maybe doing some sort of a group buy.

The next step is to test the anodizing and cerakote. Cerakote would be nice as it can be done here locally. the anodizing has to be done in batches and at a place in SLC, Utah.

Here are some progress pictures, again these are unfinished and in the "white". Still need to attach latch assembly and the adjustment, tension screws.
adapterside.jpg

bottomview.jpg

Can be used with the 45 degree back leg position?
I see the price on the TRG bipod going doooowwwn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MB4810AP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can be used with the 45 degree back leg position?
I see the price on the TRG bipod going doooowwwn. </div></div>
It should have no issue with 45 degree back leg position. Once all the hardware is installed will update pictures with the atlas in all the different positions.

Awesome! Nice mill work!

Can I mount a bayonet to it?! LOL

Looks great! I assume the blank faces that extend past the sides of the barrel and for future NV adapters that will form a cage around the barrel in that section?

-Matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt2143</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great! I assume the blank faces that extend past the sides of the barrel and for future NV adapters that will form a cage around the barrel in that section?

-Matt </div></div>

Yep, that is how the Cage will mount, due to the 2 different chassis TRG, and the KRG W3C there will be 2 different NV cages. Not all will come with the mounting holes to begin with, the cages with be a built to order item to start and will depend on what type of NV system is being utilized. If you know that you want the NV cage we will put the mounting holes on the adapter. We can also easily put mounting holes on ones without them in the future. But from the e-mails and PMs only a handful are wanting NV cages hence not putting the mounting holes on all of them.

How do they look coated?
Do you have any ready ?

Just got the new model Altas Bipod, can't wait to test it out on this mount.

Update guys,

I have been in the process of getting a divorce so a lot of my projects have been on the side burner but should be able to start shipping hopefully next week. I will get some pictures up soon with the painted finished product.

Thanks.