• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quick release scopemount and changing eye relief.

gunsnjeeps

Retired Swab Jockey
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
Norfolk, Va
Has anyone tried using a quick release scope mount to change their eye relief for different shooting positions? For example, moving the scope back further on the rifle rifle for off hand shooting or forward in prone.

My experience with cantilever mounts on AR's has been good repeatability when removing a mounted scope and moving it a notch or two on a rail, or taking one off and putting it back in the same place but they have been regular mounts and measured torque.

I did that once when I positioned the mount to far forward. It required a small adjust meant of E and W. Mount was a 34mm AMD Recon S.

I saw a .3 shift in elevation and .0 in windage adjustment when I moved back one notch.... Larue Tactical 34mm QD mount.

What scope are you using that you are even considering such an endeavor?

The worst scope I've had for a sensitive eyebox was my Vortex HST and I never noticed that much difference between stances/shooting positions.

Trying to use a cheap (Vortex Sonora 4-12x) scope on an AR-10 and can't find a sweet spot for offhand and prone. Right now it's in place for prone and to far forward for off hand.

I'd think it'd be cheaper to buy another scope than a mount that's repeatable enough to switch around that frequently.

Unless you have your rifle set up completely different i wouldn't expect the eye relief to change that dramatically.
Is there some rifle setup changes you can make that'd help with repeatability?

Reactions: gunsnjeeps
I have a NF 2.5-10x24 on my AR, which is a finicky bitch at 10x. I have also played with Return to Zero on a few mounts. Best solution is to adjust your stock, or switch to an adjustable stock.

It will take some practice but I have my stock set for prone and then move it one position forward and just choke up on the rifle for offhand. Ideal? No...but a helluva lot easier to train for than fucking around with moving the optic and risking a bad install tossing shots wild.

Edit to add: I am a big proponent of QD mounts and barrels. The fact is removing the barrel or optic always involves some risk of unexpected change that may or not be within your accuracy standards. Always best to leave them be if another variable can be adjusted.

Last edited:
I'd think it'd be cheaper to buy another scope than a mount that's repeatable enough to switch around that frequently.

Unless you have your rifle set up completely different i wouldn't expect the eye relief to change that dramatically.
Is there some rifle setup changes you can make that'd help with repeatability?
The scope was convenient to mount on a surprise rifle purchase. I ran into it for a price to low to pass up and couldn't buy parts for what I paid for the rifle. I'll be putting a better scope on the new upper I'm building.

I have a NF 2.5-10x24 on my AR, which is a finicky bitch at 10x. I have also played with Return to Zero on a few mounts. Best solution is to adjust your stock, or switch to an adjustable stock.

It will take some practice but I have my stock set for prone and then move it one position forward and just choke up on the rifle for offhand. Ideal? No...but a helluva lot easier to train for than fucking around with moving the optic and risking a bad install tossing shots wild.

Edit to add: I am a big proponent of QD mounts and barrels. The fact is removing the barrel or optic always involves some risk of unexpected change that may or not be within your accuracy standards. Always best to leave them be if another variable can be adjusted.
After I answered beetroot I thought of an adjustable stock. When I build the 6.5 CM upper that will primarily be shot prone with a better scope. I thought about rebarreling but I can keep the .308 upper and build a second upper. If I ordered a Bartlein 6.5 blank today I'd have about a year wait. Maybe by the time I have the rest of the barrel money it won't be as long a wait.

I'm going to see if there is a good all around position for this scope for now. It was a $150 scope and mount when I bought it, the mount is $89 to 99. The scope is about as expected, ok for 100 yards, but I'd rather have a Strike Eagle.