• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quick turn around time for a barrel removal?

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
Been trying to get the current (aftermarket) barrel off of my TRG 22 and its simply laughing at me. Getting pissed and getting ready to pay to have it removed, does anyone have any recommendations for a shop that would take it off and send it back in a decent amount of time?

I'm in upstate NY and I would really like to drive to someone in the NY/PA/VT area and have someone spin it off while I waited, but I figure thats a pipe dream.

Damn that sucks, I had a shop here in Oklahoma spin a prefit on my impact while I waited as I didn’t have an action wrench at the time, I know it help you being that far away but maybe you can find someone up that way that could do the same.

Been trying to get the current (aftermarket) barrel off of my TRG 22 and its simply laughing at me. Getting pissed and getting ready to pay to have it removed, does anyone have any recommendations for a shop that would take it off and send it back in a decent amount of time?

I'm in upstate NY and I would really like to drive to someone in the NY/PA/VT area and have someone spin it off while I waited, but I figure thats a pipe dream.
Brother...there has to be a gunsmith close by to you....even in the Communist State of NY. Any gunsmith

You don't need a smith with a well documented reputation for making 1k yard lasers....just someone to make a relief cut and get the fucker off. Anybody who calls themselves a smith should be able to do this easily...no?

My friend... @GBMaryland did the cut himself on a Tikka and got the barrel off....I think he did it with a dremel.

Do you have a suitable action wrench (and no, I have no idea what action wrench would be proper for a TRG 22)

SAC can get the barrel off without issue…

They just did a TRG42 for me, and saved the original barrel. If you want, the original barrel saved as opposed to cut off with a relief cut, heat is usually involved and requires cerakoting coating the receiver.

Otherwise, anyone can do a relief cut right in front of the receiver face in the barrel, and the thing will come right off. (so you’ll probably want to have an action wrench specific to the TRG.

A wheeler #1 action wrench has been known to work, but you’ll need to takeoff the pick rail (if you have one), and you need a very sturdy barrel of vice.

Last edited:
A wheeler #1 action wrench has been known to work, but you’ll need to takeoff the pick rail (if you have one), and you need a very sturdy barrel of vice.
This is where I’m at, but I get to use the SAC Modular vise and not everybody does.

When I ripped off my Howa 1500 factory barrel, I locked the action wrench down into a heavy vise on my tailgate, then put a pipe wrench with a cheater bar on the barrel and snapped it off. Took some doing, but it can definitely be done at home.

Don’t blame you for wanting to outsource it though.

ETA: OP, I always hate it when people answer questions other than the one I asked in the post. Sorry, can’t recommend anyone in your area personally, good luck.

Hart Rifle Barrels in Lafayette NY can likely do it, I almost had them re-barrel my TRG-22 because it was within driving distance of my PA home and I travel through NY several times a year.

Ask in your local groups about a Smith. Wherever you shoot or a local gun store may also have a local guy