• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quick Weight

MarkLeupold

On board the .25 train
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
My rifle, as it sits, is about 10.25 pounds unloaded. Is there a quick and cheap way to add weight to the rifle without altering it significantly? I want to mellow out the recoil impulse before I go shoot my first PRS match in a few weeks without having to pay the money and take the time to get it braked.

Specs:
Remington 700 SPS, 308 Win, 24 inch sporter barrel
Bell and Carlson M40 stock
Stiller DBM
Seekins 20 MOA base
34mm ARC rings
Steiner T5xi 3-15x50 SCR

Just go shoot and have fun at the match. Don't do anything drastic to your gun. If you get into the sport and pursue it further you're likely to change everything anyway.

Just go shoot and have fun at the match. Don't do anything drastic to your gun. If you get into the sport and pursue it further you're likely to change everything anyway.

Well, I've already got my name on a Nucleus, so yes, I will change everything, lol. I decided to try the 155 gr bullets, worked up a load and got them in a node at about 2810 fps, the recoil is just snappier than I would like. I wouldn't call myself recoil sensitive, because I've got video of me from the other day not even blinking through it, but I can definitely feel it in my shoulder after about 10 rounds, especially from the prone. I don't want to get to the match, shoot more ammo through the rifle in a day than I ever have before and then end up shying away from it at the end of the day. I've worked long and hard to rid myself of any type of flinch and I do not want to go back down that road again...

That stock should already have a 1” pad right? If not add a slip on or profit one real quick. The biggest issue is the sporter barrel but there’s nothing to be done about that in short time. Taking off the current pad and filling the butt with lead or somethings about all you can do. Not sure if the current pad is a glue on or screw on but one is definitely easier to manage.

I sorta agree that you shouldn't change anything. You might be surprised how much less you will notice recoil when under the clock.

If you really want to add weight, the suggestion above to pop off the butt pad and add lead shot into the hollow portion of the butt is the easiest and best. Did it with a .338 LM. Mixed the lead shot into some epoxy and filled it full. Added about 2 lbs.,which in my case balanced the barrel heavy rifle out much better. In your case it may make your rifle stock heavy.

That stock should already have a 1” pad right? If not add a slip on or profit one real quick. The biggest issue is the sporter barrel but there’s nothing to be done about that in short time. Taking off the current pad and filling the butt with lead or somethings about all you can do. Not sure if the current pad is a glue on or screw on but one is definitely easier to manage.

Yep, 1" pad. I think it's glued on. I've heard sticking it in the deep freezer overnight makes it pop right off.

I sorta agree that you shouldn't change anything. You might be surprised how much less you will notice recoil when under the clock.

If you really want to add weight, the suggestion above to pop off the butt pad and add lead shot into the hollow portion of the butt is the easiest and best. Did it with a .338 LM. Mixed the lead shot into some epoxy and filled it full. Added about 2 lbs.,which in my case balanced the barrel heavy rifle out much better. In your case it may make your rifle stock heavy.

Probably would make it super stock heavy. Right now the balance point is on the very forward edge of the magwell, about 3/4" behind the front action screw.

I'll probably not end up messing with it. Too many things I'd have to get used to too quickly that come with re-balancing it. Maybe I'll mess with the idea again when the new action and barrel are in if it's too front heavy.