• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

QuickLoad and H1000

fusiachi

PFC Snuffy
Minuteman
May 12, 2008
South of Expected
Has anyone else found that QL results for H1000 significantly under-predict actual performance? I've occasionally had to tune other powder files for lot-to-lot variations and primer changes but this is different. I've confirmed that it's not due to a data entry error.

I have no experience with H1000, but I have seen higher pressures with several powders than QuickLOAD predicts.

I now start on a lower node, chronograph the velocity and adjust the burn rate of the powder so QuickLOAD's prediction matches the actual velocity. Only then do I move to a higher node.

The QuickLOAD user manual is useless, but it does warn that powder burn rates can vary 10% or more. I have yet to find a powder that produced higher velocity than QuickLOAD predicts. There does seem to be a bias in the wrong direction.

H2O capacity of a fired case has a similar effect.

Having said that, I do find QuickLOAD to be a useful tool. It is, however, very much a black box where the output is very much a function of the input.

Good luck.

QL predictions will vary depending on how close to the lands you seat the bullet.

I'm struggling with large variances between QL and results from the range. I'm finding my crono muzzle velocities up to 200fps higher than what QL predicts. Specifically I loaded 6.5CM, 136gn Lapua Scenar L, 34.5gn of RL17, 20 in barrel. QL predicted a MV of 2806, acutal MV averaged 2950 for 5 rounds. The bullets were coated with HBN, so I kind of expected lower than predicted MV. Any thoughts? common issues that need tweaking with QL?

It’s not an issue. Powder burning rates vary from lot to lot. Barrel speed potential varies from barrel to barrel. How close to the lands you seat your bullet arrests start pressure. QL allows you to tune variables to your situation.

So what variable would you modify? I assume I’d change a variable until the predicted MV matched what I got at the range, then other loads with the same components should be accurate?

So what variable would you modify? I assume I’d change a variable until the predicted MV matched what I got at the range, then other loads with the same components should be accurate?
As mentioned, burn rate, listed on QL as Ba.
Also check temp and overbore depending on cartridge. Over ore is on the top left hand inputs at the bottom.