• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

QuickLoad Question

kgreylgrey

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2008
Arizona
Just purchased QuickLoad 3.5 and I'm trying to get it configured to match real world results. I've read the info on http://www.the-long-family.com/optimal%20barrel%20time.htm and I'm using actual measured values for my 'Grains H2O', 'Case Length', 'Cartridge Length' and 'Barrel Length' values.

I'm trying to match real world chrono'd velocity (average of 10 different chron sessions on different days) and what I believe to be a safe pressure by varying the 'Burn rate Factor Ba' and 'Bullet Weight'. However, I'm having a problem qetting QL to indicate a safe pressure when I match my chrono'd velocity.

The load is 6.5 x 47 Lapua, 140 gr Berger, Wolf primer, 37.0 gr RL-15, Cartridge Length 2.784, Case Length 1.840, Barrel Length 26.0 (Bartlein) , measured H2O 48.95, target velocity 2778. In the real world, the bullet is jammed .007 and the load shows no ejector marks/smear and no difficult bolt lift.

My problem and question is - what value do you use for the 'Shot Start (Initiation) Pressure' field? QL defaults to 3625, but says to add 7200 (making it 10825) to the value if the bullet is seated to touching the lands.

When I use the 10825 value and adjust burn rate/bullet weight to match the chrono'd velocity, QL is indicating an over pressure load.

I also noted that QL uses the 'Shot Start (Initiation) Pressure' for all powders whenever you do one of the powder comparison reports, so getting this value set correctly is important.

On a related note, relative to the QL specified safe pressure, approximately how much additional pressure would be required to produce ejector marks or stiff bolt lift? 1%, 2%, 5%, ?%

Thanks for your time.

Re: QuickLoad Question

Thanks Ares!

Don't know how I missed that info, but it pretty much answers my question about QL settings.

Re: QuickLoad Question

Nope. I just bought it on 3/6/09 and it says V.3.5 at the top of each window.