• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

QuickLOAD - Want to buy, but have questions?

Leaddog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2009
Delaware
I am building up a new rifle and am considering buying QuickLOAD. Questions....

> Does the program have the Berger 185 BTLR Bullet in the database?

> Is the program using G7 Drag Factors?

Also... if you own it... what do you think of it?

Thank you.

Re: QuickLOAD - Want to buy, but have questions?

Mine doesn't but you can enter all custom specifications into the program by measuring the bullet. For the trajectory calculations I use the JBM program which allows the G7 entry. Then fire for effect. JMHO

If you mean the Berger 30418, yes, it's in mine and I have the next-to-most recent data update.

There's two halves to the app, QuickLoad is the internal ballistics half. QuickTarget is the external half. They're currently selling v3.6 and since v3.4 there's been an optional "Unlimited" version of QuickTarget that supports G1, G5 and G7 BCs. Make sure what you're buying has the "Unlimited" version of QuickTarget.

I bought QL because I already had a specific use for it -- OBT. It serves that end very well. But it's not magic, it can only know what you tell it about all the variables in your loads, so what it predicts can't be any more accurate that what you input.

For one thing, every bottle of Varget (or any other powder) ever made is not exactly the same. So it has a provision to let you tweak your powder's properties to adjust for those differences. Except you have to have chronograph data to make the adjustment. So it's not a substitute for a chronograph. If anything, IMHO, it's of very limited use unless you use a chronograph to verify what it's telling you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought QL because I already had a specific use for it -- OBT. It serves that end very well. But it's not magic, it can only know what you tell it about all the variables in your loads, so what it predicts can't be any more accurate that what you input.</div></div>

I couldn't have said it better myself. As Bob McCoy used to say "Garbage in, garbage out."

QL has paid for itself dozens of times over at this point, my load development has changed from OCW, then looking for nodes, then fine tuning to just spending about 20 mins with the OBT calculator and pushing everything through QL that I'm trying to accomplish. Thinking about going back to the old way of doing load development makes me cringe.

Also, my copy is 3.6 Unlimited and it has the Berger you're looking for as well as QuickTarget running G1, G5, and G7's.

I've had Quickload for several months, great program but heed the limitations said by others.