• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quietest 22-LR round

HOGGHEAD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Rivesville, WV
I am looking for the most quiet 22 LR round. So far in my search I have come up with the CCI CB-Long as the most quiet. I have also shot the Super-Colibri in my rifle. And it is definitely the most quiet. However with the 20 grain shorter bullet the overall cartrdige length is too short and it will not feed in my rifle. Everytime I work the bolt the Super-Colibri comes out of the magazine and goes sideways before the tip enters the chamber, so it is too short for me to use.

Does anyone know of any ammuniton that has Super-Colibri velocity or noise level, yet is longer in length like the standard sub-sonic or regular 22-LR ammo??

Has anyone shot the new Winchester CB ammo?? It is suppose to be 770 fps which is 60 fps faster than the CCI, and 30 fps faster than the Remington C-Bee at 740 fps?? So I am assuming since it is a little faster that it would be louder?? Thanks, Tom.

Re: Quietest 22-LR round

Have you tried those 60gr subsonics?

Could also try to get your hands on some CB Shorts- haven't seen them in years, but they are VERY, VERY short and have almost no sound at all. Of course if the Long's wont feed, I doubt these will!

The CB Long is your best bet for feeding in a bolt. They are super quiet if your barrel is long enough, say 20 inches. If you need something more quiet than a CB Long get a slingshot or a blowgun.

The CB longs were only slightly louder than my pellet gun out of a 20" barrel- pretty good accuracy out to 40 or so yards. This was the farthest that I've shot them. If you can get a barrel in the 22-24" range, these things must be damn near silent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you tried those 60gr subsonics?

Could also try to get your hands on some CB Shorts- haven't seen them in years, but they are VERY, VERY short and have almost no sound at all. Of course if the Long's wont feed, I doubt these will! </div></div>

Yes I tried the 60 grain Aguila sub-sonic's. They are louder than the Remington Sub-Sonic, or about the same. But definitley louder than the CCI-CB Long.

I am sure the short's will not feed. Heck the Aquila Super-Colibri which is a long case is too short to feed. So I know the short would not feed.

I would like to see a mfr. make a full sized 22 LR with a 40 grain bullet at about 700 fps. That would be a dandy. Plus it would also be one fantastic critter getter for those tree rats!! Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find scrolling through the Midway catalog to be very helpful. The rimfire ammo is all in order by caliber and a muzzle velocity listed right next to it! </div></div>

That is actually a pretty good idea. And I did that a couple of evenings ago. An even better idea is to scan through the "Cheaper than dirt" selection of 22 ammunition. They have considerably more options than Midway. Plus their prices are a good bit less. Tom.

CB longs are the best for the buck

Have shot hundreds of squirrels and they are great (golf course varmint control)

RWS makes a 25/22 caliber air rifle that shoot a pellet at about 750 to 800 feet per second. The 22 is around 1000 fps Beeman also makes one. Both are at least as good as a cb cap and pretty darn quiet cause they are sub sonic and powderless Problem is they are expensive. They shoot hard though. Right through a tin can and never move it at 25 feet

Probably won't cycle your bolt and you would have to manually load them, but CB caps are really quiet .

posted this in the ".22 rimfire section sticky" found up top on the rimfire section about using CB shorts in a LR chamber looking for a quieter round, some of the youtube links give a comparison:

"if it says .22 lr, only use 22 lr. unless it says it'll take shorts, don't use them.

there's a carbon ring that develops when .22s are fired, and with the shorts that ring develops further into the chamber and is the dickens to get out. when you put a .22 lr in it, it could cause problems. i don't know how the older rifles got away with .22 lr, .22 long, and .22 shorts through the same rifle.

CCI makes a CB long - basically a .22 short charge, but in the lr length case. they are pretty quiet. aguila also makes a 60 gr SSS (sub sonic sniper) round that is basically the same thing, but with a heavier bullet. your rifle probably doesn't have enough twist to spit those heavier and longer aguilas out accurately past 30 yards, you may be better off with the CCI CB longs. there are also aguila super colibi ammo, which are also very quiet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=638772#productTabReviews

check out noise against standard velocity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgozoLAXwhc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X7Td2JMLhc&feature=related

aguila super colibri

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djogbd01qJo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM0BsHW13AM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7MPram4qvk&feature=related

aguila SSS
try not to listen to the guy, listen for the round going off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz6eLNbl4ew&feature=related

Get a .22 suppressor and shoot CCI subsonics. They will be more accurate than any of the CB's and if you're after squirrels they have a great soft hollow point.

You have to shoot many, many CBs in a LR chamber to harm it...a little bronze brush with solvent will clean it in a heart beat. If you want quiet...get an old Winchester 67 SS. You can't hear the CB's more than a few feet away...and feral cats hear it at 40 feet.

I don't think I can help you much in the 22 LR department. Those CCI CB longs are the best I've used.

Like somebody else mentioned, for a shot when you're not concerned about cycling- i.e. in a 22 revolver or a bolt action - those 22 CB SHORT sub-sonics are so quiet your next door neighbor doesn't know that little "crack" sound is even gunfire.

Yes, I've shot the new Winchester CB Target ammo. I have 541T that Brian Voelker put together for me. It has an extra tight chamber and a 1-17 twist. It shoots the Winchester CB's by far the best of all the CB's-- so good I bought 9 bricks of ammo. At 30 yds it will shoot under 1/2" and sometimes much better. It's the most fun I've had in years and is Holy Terror on squirrels.

The cb longs are quiet but may not have the velocity u r looking for. In my 40 x trainer the wolf match extra is surprisingly quiet. I am anal about ear protection after doing damage and while it may not be what u r looking for I can shoot out of that gun all day no ears no problem. May not be the same in all others though

The Winchester Super X subsonic runs flawlessly in everything I've got and seems to be about the same as CCI cb when it comes to sound.

I've heard that freezing .22 ammo will make it quieter. shove it in the freezer for a month and let it thaw and shoot. I've never tried it, but can't hurt to try it. no idea how/why this would do anything, except condensation inside the case killing the powder charge maybe.

Takes a good may shorts to build a carbon ring that will cause ejection problems with lr or longs.. A good powder solvent on a patch and push it into the bore so it rests on the ring. Leave it set a while and a brush will take it right out. I have a little sw kit gun I shoot shorts out of from time to time and that always works when lr's get sticky.
Truth is not much of anything is made anymore to shoot just shorts

The CCI CB long are great out of my Remington 541-x it has, I think a 27 inch barrel, feeds fine through the magazine and easily drops squirrels at 20 yards