• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quigley Sharps 45-90

cal50

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
Old school still shoots good!

My Pedersoli Quigley sharps in 45-90. I am still working up a load and went to the range and popped off some cast Postell bullets (530 grain) on top of 78 grains of Goex "F" powder. I had a one hole group going until I started pulling my shots after getting big headed looking through mu scope (100 yards). After I messed that up I blasted my last 5 shots and called it a day. The sun was way to bright and the target was dancing and looked like a blob.

A quick clean up with Balistol and back in the rack.

Quigley.jpg

flyier.jpg

blastingoff.jpg

Re: Quigley Sharps 45-90

nice shooting.....got an adapter for that 30rd mag???

LOL!

Range bag stuff.

I admit I have gone to the range and forgot my mag, the right ammo, tools, pasters, targets, staple gun, etc,

Nice rifle indeed, good shooting. My Pedersoli is one of my favorite guns. By the way, where is your cross sticks?
wink.gif

Now that's what I call fun!

There nothing like shooting the old BP Cartridges. I'll take a good 45/90 or 45/120 over a .308 any day of the week. Waaaay more fun to shoot.

Do you plan to shoot any long range matches with the 45-90? I shot 800, 900 and 1000 for a few years. I used 45-90 and 45-100, it was quite a change from shooting the Palma matches with the M14. Dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CPT-DAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you plan to shoot any long range matches with the 45-90? I shot 800, 900 and 1000 for a few years. I used 45-90 and 45-100, it was quite a change from shooting the Palma matches with the M14. Dan </div></div>

Shooting long range is on my bucket list and I will make it to a long range shoot sometime. I just got my Baldwin rear (long range) sight and in the process of mounting it up correctly.

I know the Sharps calibers are not ballistic barn burners on paper. Its a hoot to pour and lube your own bullets and load some rounds and make good groups at a football field distance.
The only "down" side is black powder prices have climbed as well.
Time to order a case of Goex....

The Baldwin sights are fantastic (I have them on my sharps), you will enjoy them. Not sure where you live but if you just want to have FUN try to be in eastern Montana on Fathers Day for the Quigley memorial day rifle match. it is not a high pressure match, has tons of friendly people and is a total blast! I have shot it twice and hope to introduce my 10yr old daughter to it next year.

i am envious of anyone with a sharps rifle. i played with one in a shop out here the other day. It had an old school scope on it. you know the type... as long as the rifle and the mount is where the adjustments are made. put a smile on my face...

I've got a Shiloh No.2 sporter with a bunch of upgrades that was a dream come true for me. It's in 45-70 and I'm considering going 45-90 with it. My just plinking load is 13grains of Trailboss under a 405 grains Lasercast FP, little recoil and very accurate. For getting serious I load 535 Creedmoor bullets over 70 gains of Swiss 2F, shoots incredible! Love these old rifles!

My rifle (serial# 008) was made by a shop called Wells Rifle Shop that no longer makes rifles. My load is a 560 grain Paul Jones creedmore over 87 grains of Swiss 2F. Yes it does kick some but really more of a push that a kick. Most I have shot in 4 days is 350 rounds (practice + match). Steven

I've got a Win-Miroku Highwall 45-70 that I've been getting ready for deer hunting this yr. Getting a big bore straight walled case to shoot well was a new experience for me. Right now I think I've got a load worked out for 300HPs, I'm playing with paper patched cast 350s. That will make you nutty.

I shoot paper patched 405 gr in my 45-70 Marlin for deer. Found that if I rubbed in some Lee liquid Alox, and dry moly powder after the Lee dried, it would waterproof the loads and keep the paper patch from ripping when I load and unload the Marlin. Shoots 1 1/2" at 100 with a compressed load of 53 gr IMR3130, Elmer Keith's elk load, around 1850 fps. Kills at both ends on my Marlin, knocks deer down like The Fist of God, if you hit them in the shoulder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xs hedspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Kills at both ends on my Marlin, knocks deer down like The Fist of God, if you hit them in the shoulder. </div></div>

I'm trying to get away from the kill at the front, maim at the back thing that's why I'm working with 300/350 class bullets, that and I've found that if I launch them at about 1800 with a 100 yard zero my come up is almost exactly .5 mils/25yds to 200 yards. I shoot it with a Swro z3 with a BRX reticle so I've got aiming points at each interval. It's a nice setup.

Even with the rainbow trajectory it still has over 1000 ft*lbs at 250.

that is some nice shooting and a sweet rifle, almost bought one of those

I just ordered a Shiloh #1 sporter in 45-110......

I know what my Christmas gift to myself is this year!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a Win-Miroku Highwall 45-70 that I've been getting ready for deer hunting this yr. Getting a big bore straight walled case to shoot well was a new experience for me. Right now I think I've got a load worked out for 300HPs, I'm playing with paper patched cast 350s. That will make you nutty.</div></div>

I have a Browning Miroku Highwall .45-70. I used it years ago to take a bison. I used a 405 grain lead bullet over blackpowder, with a cardboard wad under the bullet. The load shot poorly until I changed to SPG lube. Then it shot extremely well. The guide on my hunt was not happy with my rifle/ammunition combo. He told me that others with .340 Weatherby Mags had had a difficult time dropping the bulls. I told him I would not shoot beyond 200 yards, and eventually I got a shot off at a bull about 120 yards away. The bullet slapped hard, a big puff of dust rose off his hide, he froze for a second, then dropped to his knees and rolled over on his side. The guide was speechless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered a Shiloh #1 sporter in 45-110......

I know what my Christmas gift to myself is this year! </div></div>
Would love a 110! Is it one they have on the shelf or ar you looking at 2014 for a delivery? My next one is going to be a mouse gun for my daughter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oldrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered a Shiloh #1 sporter in 45-110......

I know what my Christmas gift to myself is this year! </div></div>
Would love a 110! Is it one they have on the shelf or ar you looking at 2014 for a delivery? My next one is going to be a mouse gun for my daughter.
</div></div>

Ordered from Bill Goodman. Its list price + $200 and a 4 month delivery window. He has several in the pipeline and you pick your options and get the gun you want.

http://fwd4.me/16yD

Mine is the #1 Sporter in 45-110 with heavy hex barrel, Hartford collar, steel butt plate and no rear sight cut in the barrel.

Cabelas has Norma basic brass on sale (marked 45-120) that's perfect once trimmed for the 45-110 for around a $1 a case which is CHEAP. If all goes well I will have it before the snow drops in Ohio.

Yeah I had forgotten about Goodman. I get my brass land stuff from Buffalo Arms. They normally have formed brass pretty cheap. Have you picked out a mold yet? I am shooting a Paul Jones Creedmore at 560gr. Steven

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oldrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I had forgotten about Goodman. I get my brass land stuff from Buffalo Arms. They normally have formed brass pretty cheap. Have you picked out a mold yet? I am shooting a Paul Jones Creedmore at 560gr. Steven </div></div>

Lyman Postell bullet currently. I might spring for a different mold if I cant get the Postell to work to my liking.

At 530'ish grains per bullet it sucks up the lead supply fast. Now I wish I would have saved all the lead I gave away a while ago.

Yeah my wife looked at me real strange (well more than normal) when I brought home 1500lbs of 30-1 mix.

The creedmores are nice rifles! I am currently looking at a Winchester version in 38-40 for my 9yr old daughter. Steven

I have a Pedersoli Sharps in 45/70 . Has anyone tried a spire point bullet, issues with overall length? Just thinking about long range.