• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

R5 Accuracy

CVO

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
Tampa Florida
I have a R5 Remmy that I have noticed the accuracy falls off after about thirty rounds at the range. After a cleaning it comes back, it that normal?

Re: R5 Accuracy

Different rifles have different preferences. My 5R usually takes about 10-15 rounds before it starts running well after a cleaning.

May not be the rifle, but rather you. Don't know how accomplished of a shooter you are, so no offense intended, but some people develop a bit of a flinch after shooting for a while. Again, have no idea of your abilities, just thinking outside the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">May not be the rifle, but rather you. Don't know how accomplished of a shooter you are, so no offense intended, but some people develop a bit of a flinch after shooting for a while. Again, have no idea of your abilities, just thinking outside the box. </div></div>

This has happened to me many times. Especially after about 50 rounds or so.

How many rounds do you have through the R5? Remington bbls can sometimes be a bit rough. As you shoot you will lap in the bore and you should maintain accuracy for more shots. The .30 cal Remingtons that I have usually took 200 to 250 rounds to really settle in.

To answer your question no that's not normal. I put well over 100 down the pipe before even considering cleaning. Even at that round count accuracy does not fall off.

20 to 30 rounds is normal. Hotter you load the more copper you lay down in the barrel. More powder you use in most cases adds to carbon fouling. Keep it clean and that R5 will love you forever.

I have about 150 rounds threw the gun, I have noticed the accuracy drop off the last two times at the range after about thirty rounds. Saturday I will let the gun cool down and clean it the range, then I will have my answer

First... What's an R5??? Just messin' with ya! I have at least 200 rounds thru my 5R since the last cleaning... NO Appreciable difference in accuracy!!! I'm shooting Lake City M118 from the 60's! Might be fatigue or flinch. What position are you shooting from? How fast are you shooting? Doesn't sound like the rifle's fault to me.

It boils down to Remington Hammer forged barrels can be a just a tad bit rough!! It may clear up, and it may not. Depends on how rough your barrel is. I have a stock rem 700vs in 243 that honestly shoots light out, but what a copper hore!! Does it take several patches to clean your barrel to be completely free of copper? I would assume so? Shoot the barrel out and have a custom put on her and hopefully your problems will be gone. Lee

i have a cz550 with i believe the same h-s stock.im having the same problem.my smith recommended bedding the action.i know he bedded his r-5 action and recrowned the barrel after about 2000 rounds and has little problem in a day of shooting.

CVO

How does it shoot after you clean it? If you are getting good groups until the bore starts to foul then it sounds like a rough bore that may or may not improve as you shoot it. The R5 has a very good rep and I would not worry, it should get better as you get a higher round count.

John

How quickly are you shooting? If shooting to rapidly you just be heating the barrel up too much.

If you have not replaced the RECOIL pad, do so.......
You will be amazed at how much better you will shoot, esp after 30rds+.