• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

R5 or ADL Varmint + AICS?

JCB

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2006
Tennessee
I'm looking to get a 700 in .308 and after having read numerous positive posts about the out of the box accuracy of the R5 I'm leaning in that direction. However, I've been seeing a 700 ADL Varmint at Dick's for about $480 which is roughly half the cost of the R5 though I know the stock on the ADL would have to be replaced. Would I be better off going with the R5 or buying the ADL and dropping it into another stock such as an AICS? I plan to shoot out to 1000 yards.

Re: R5 or ADL Varmint + AICS?

If you are making the switch to the AICS in either case, I'd get the SPS/ADL and have the action blue printed and the gun rebarreled. You won't be buying the fancier stock twice and you'll have a super gun for maybe just a few $$ extra over the plain 5R in an AICS.

ETA, actually, if you go with the non 5R, find an action on here or an older gun on GB with a .473 bolt face. You can probably start at around $400 + the barrel blank + the smith work. Probably end up somewhere between 1000 and 1200 if your smith doesn't try to bend you over. I think my guy charges $125 for a blue print and $125 to finish and install a barrel blank.

Thanks for the feedback. I do like the AICS and thought it would be about the simplest way to get into a detachable box magazine if using the ADL. With the R5 I would consider just adding the new bottom metal to the HS Precision it comes in.

It sounds like the AICS are maybe a little on the heavy side which seems to be the only negative I've heard about them.

Dustin said it all. I actually have a 5r in a AICS and now I am building a 260 what I should have don in the first place. I am keeping the 5r just because it does shoot very well but money could have been better spent with a full build.

Dustin

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I think I'll go the ADL route and work towards a custom build.