• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

R700 .223 accurizing for F-Class TR

Boxerglocker

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2012
Lynnwood, WA
I own a .223 Remington 700 SPS tactical 20 inch 1-9 twist, it’s a stock action and barrel on a B&C tactical medalist stock with a Timney trigger. The rest of the set-up is irrelevant to my question so I won’t bother describing the whole rig. I will say that in my humble opinion this gun being essentially off the shelf and upgraded by an amateur namely me is a exceptional shooter. I developed loads for the rifle from 50g Vmax to 55g Noslers to70 Berger VLD that will shoot 1 MOA or better out to 600 yards. A few loads well under half MOA at closer ranges including my varmint 50g load which my personal best is .187 MOA for 5 shots at 100 yards. Just as a point of reference to my ability, I recently scored a 198-11x during a 20 round string at a local 500 yard prone match (5 inch, 10 ring).

My main use for this gun is F Class / TR 500-600 yards and I would like to give this rifle a little more accuracy and consistency with heavier bullets up to 75s. I have Benchmark barrels local and was thinking when the time comes to have them do the work, blueprint the action and install a 1-8 twist, 22 to 24 inch heavy contour or bull barrel. What would you guys recommend?

Sounds to me like the gun is a shooter as is, I wouldn't fix what ain't broke. I wouldn't expect much better with what you have.

Sounds to me like the gun is a shooter as is, I wouldn't fix what ain't broke. I wouldn't expect much better with what you have.

+1

I have a semi custom Savage F-class in 6 BR and it doesn't shoot any better than what your describing. I would keep shooting what you got till the barrel goes south and then re-barrel with a 30", 8 twist (assuming this rifle will be a dedicated F-class shooter). If you will be using it for an all-round rifle, go 26". The extra velocity will be a big advantage in F-class.

Yeah, I'm just playing with the idea for right now... until funds and the need (shooting the barrel out) comes along. I would like to get so extra velocity out of my loads and go to a faster twist. The suggestion of a 1-8 twist, 26 inch sounds right.

I would go ahead and get a 7 twist. You could shoot 80's if you want. I have a 26" 7 twist .223 that will go to 1K with 80's. But it is more suited to the 600 yard line. Wind is brutal past 600.
Rob

I would upgrade the barrel, as well. I'm sure it shoots great now, but you can stretch it further far more competitively with heavier/longer bullets. This means at least a 1:8 twist to shoot the 80gr Berger VLD's or similar.

I'm not sure how much weight you have to play with, but a longer barrel in a 1:7 or 1:8 will help you get the heavy rounds going faster. That said, what you have now sounds pretty good. But if it's limiting you, then its time to upgrade.

I would upgrade the barrel, as well. I'm sure it shoots great now, but you can stretch it further far more competitively with heavier/longer bullets. This means at least a 1:8 twist to shoot the 80gr Berger VLD's or similar.
I'm not sure how much weight you have to play with, but a longer barrel in a 1:7 or 1:8 will help you get the heavy rounds going faster. That said, what you have now sounds pretty good. But if it's limiting you, then its time to upgrade.

I wouldn't say right now the rifle is limiting my personal skillset. However, it is limiting my ability to handload heavier bullets. I've tried loading some 75s and 70 VLDs, can get them to work, but with the reloading component situation right now. It would be nice to have a barrel twist that was just a little more consistent with heavier bullets.
I know that going to a faster twist of just 1:8 will help get 75's and 80 VLDS consitent, especially if I can lengthen the barrel out to 26 inches to give me a little more velocity. Currently the rifle completely outfitted weights 13.8 pounds, so I do have some extra room to play within the F Class TR limit of 18 pounds.
Yeah, 1:8 26 inch is the way to go. I don't think 1:7 is necesary and I would really like to be able to still shoot my proven 50g Vmax varmint load.