• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

R700 .223 to .308

houghtontaylor

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2022
Michigan
Hello all, I currently have a .223 R700 adl with a varmint profile barrel. I want to convert it to .308. I understand the bolt face is the wrong size for .308. Am I better off selling it and buying a barreled action or converting it. I am going for a rough m40a3/5 clone. Thoughts, comments, concerns, advice?

Hello all, I currently have a .223 R700 adl with a varmint profile barrel. I want to convert it to .308. I understand the bolt face is the wrong size for .308. Am I better off selling it and buying a barreled action or converting it. I am going for a rough m40a3/5 clone. Thoughts, comments, concerns, advice?
How does the 223 shoot?

be aware - your offer of trade may just well breach the terms and conditions of this forum. sale/wanted/trade are restricted to the PX section, which is "paid for" access.

Attachments

• 1822499F-D838-4F50-9B15-75C8A2C2B1F8.png
    1822499F-D838-4F50-9B15-75C8A2C2B1F8.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
Reactions: Hkmiller

Better off selling it and buying something else

Reactions: st1650
Find a short action bolt and build your own switch-barrel. Now you can shoot multiple cartridges and you don’t have to go through the atf’s bullshit

Save yourself the hassle.

I did similar (but the other way) and lucked into a nice 700 bolt with the .223 bolt face, gifted by a friend. 😁

Had that not happened, woulda went Bighorn and just got prefits.

But, local smith is a top end guy and his barrels are lasers.

Either get that thing hammering with 53gr hornady’s or sell it.

Get 7 twist 223ai barrel nut prefit from NSS.
Run 88s. It'll smoke any 308, be cheaper and more fun to shoot, and kill anything you point it at.

After shooting a fast twist bolt action 223 with a good bullet, you'll never want to shoot a 308, trust me.

Last edited:
Find a short action bolt and build your own switch-barrel. Now you can shoot multiple cartridges and you don’t have to go through the atf’s bullshit
I never knew that was an option. So let’s say I get a switch lug, drop it in to my .223 R700, I could use any caliber that matches that bolt face? I would just buy a r700 prefit in the caliber that fits?

Reactions: The D
Run 88s. It'll smoke any 308, be cheaper and more fun to shoot, and kill anything you point it at.

After shooting a fast twist bolt action 223 with a good bullet, you'll never want to shoot a 308, trust me.
A 24 or 26" straight 223, with a 75 or 80 grain ELD, etc will do really well even with a slight velocity disadvantage. I love 223AI but some don't reload or care to deal with fireforming.

I have a similar problem and came to the conclusion to sell them and buy an Origin action or two.

Reactions: The D
I never knew that was an option. So let’s say I get a switch lug, drop it in to my .223 R700, I could use any caliber that matches that bolt face? I would just buy a r700 prefit in the caliber that fits?
Yes. The combinations are endless, especially if you have a long action

If you want a shouldered barrel like from the factory you’d need to send the action and both bolts to a gunsmith. The ‘smith would keep all your new measurements on file and just cut a new barrel when you ask, then you’d need the tools to swap barrels. Another advantage to sending everything to a ‘smith would be to have a thicker recoil lug pinned to the action. Otherwise it will require a few more tools to get everything aligned properly

You could most likely get away without sending everything to a ‘smith if you don’t mind the aesthetics of a savage style barrel nut. The term for this is “remage”. It would be a good idea to take some measurements from both bolts and compare them though

I have a similar problem and came to the conclusion to sell them and buy an Origin action or two.
If you’re starting from scratch the custom action route is a better value, especially if you’re concerned about resale value. And it’s even more worth it to go this route if you inherit a rifle.

In my case, I’ve had my rifle for several years so it’s cheap enough to justify buying a spare bolt and building a remage setup. And, my father has a 7RM 700 that it makes even more sense to do this to. This rifle was purchased many years ago for probably $150.

And just to be clear I'm suggesting a ~$350 investment.