• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

R700-.223 trainer build issues (light primer strikes)

Sam19kilo

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 4, 2019
    WY
    So lately I have been getting a light primer strike on my .223 trainer. When I have the Timney HIt installed, it seems to light strike more often (1/10rds). When I have the Calvin elite it does it a little bit more rare. Luckily I have upgraded to TT diamonds but have no been able to test it yet. Is this a sear engagement issue or something in my firing pin spring? Primers? Sear Engagement?
    Current load: (80ELDs, 88ELDs, and 90SMKs all shoot this same load)
    LC brass w/ BR2 primers
    24.1gr H4895
    Seated 2.540”

I am hoping upgrading my trainer with the TT diamond is a fix but wanted to check here also.

First thing I would check is to see if you’re shoulder on your brass has been set back too far creating excessive headspace.

Reactions: Sam19kilo
    I'm assuming you are using BR4 primers. I have a similar issue ocassionally while using a timney 510 and a Calvin elite and both factory firing pin spring and a PTG pin assembly. It's worse with the PTG spring. The issue seems to come and go.

The BR4 and 450 primers are thick and hard.

Reactions: Sam19kilo
    First thing I would check is to see if you’re shoulder on your brass has been set back too far creating excessive headspace.
    So I thought this was the issue, but they all have gone through the same sizing die twice now with no adjustments. It’s a basic ass rcbs sizing die. I haven’t pulled the bullets yet in the rounds that didn’t fire so I can measure that later today

I'm assuming you are using BR4 primers. I have a similar issue ocassionally while using a timney 510 and a Calvin elite and both factory firing pin spring and a PTG pin assembly. It's worse with the PTG spring. The issue seems to come and go.

The BR4 and 450 primers are thick and hard.
    Yea it’s BR4, which ever is the SRP. So changing the spring didn’t do shit for you?
    And your right the issue for me comes and goes. Shot a whole match with no issues, now I’ve noticed the issues come and go when I’m out practicing and I have been hesitant to run my trainer at local matches because of it

Spring didn't do anything for me. Mine was originally one of the "j-lock" actions. I've had the problem with new brass, and fired brass that was only neck sized with the bullet jammed in the lands.

Anything like this?

This kind of solves it for me. I’m running out tomororw to test this new Diamond and see if I have any issues. If it does, it eliminates a trigger issue at least and can focus on sizing dies, firing pin spring etc and work my way down the list