• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

R700 .308 build

huntinherrington

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2012
Start,LA
I've been lurking around for awhile but never registered. I've decided to start my build. Trued 700 action, 26" shillen barrel, Jewell trigger, Mc Millian A-5. Haven't decided on a scope yet. Looked at night force scopes today and really liked them. I will be mostly shooting 500 to 800 yards.

Re: R700 .308 build

Any suggestions on a good scope? I've been reading for days but still can't decide. Leaning towards NF 5.5-22x56 MOAR reticle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huntinherrington</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any suggestions on a good scope? I've been reading for days but still can't decide. Leaning towards NF 5.5-22x56 MOAR reticle </div></div>

Thats a great scope, you wont be dissapointed. I love mine.

8-32x56 has less travel and is thus a less versatile scope. Also, you're going to be limited in that the reticle works on 22x anyway.

I would look into the 5.5-22x50. I'd also go with an MLR reticle and mRad knobs. You'll find more people use mRads, so it will simplify spotting. Also, with the 22x version of the MLR, you can back it down to 11x and each half mil dash on the reticle becomes one mil rather than .5. This is handy for days with lots of mirage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huntinherrington</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't decide between the 5.5-22x56 or the 8-32x56 </div></div>

You won't need a 8-32x when mounting it on a R700. And it will be a mistake if you are huniting with it.

I have a R700 and I am using a PG 5-15x and it works perfectly for just about any application I can think of.

Good luck,
-Moon

Go with the 5.5-22x56. You get a hell of a lot more clicks.

Well changed a few things. Got a HS Precision 700P take off stock and getting a leupold mk4. Can't wait for it to get done!!