• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

R700 308 Jump/Jam/OAL Question..Help me out.

M_16_4_REAL

RubiconJK
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2012
Seattle
took a few measurements on a new 700 trying to get a starting length for jump/jam using a hornady oal gauge and i got a little surprise. i thought i was doing something wrong till i went back to the old tried and true rod stop measurement method and got the same measurements i got with the hornady gauge.
here's the rod method i used finding starting OAL

using hornady's 168 and 178 grain amax's i got measurements of:

178 - 2.955 oal 2.237 ogive

168 - 2.940 oal 2.236 ogive

both just touching the lands

now i realize that remmy's have always run long in the throat department but .155 thou long? is this correct? am i doing something wrong or is it just the way it is? please let me know if you've come across similar issues or if you have any suggestions.

Re: R700 308 Jump/Jam/OAL Question..Help me out.

Yea...my ltr has it too...a deep throat...lol...178 bthp it think were like 2.9 something touchin..

The last Remmy barrel I had, couldn't even close to get a 190 Sierra to touch the rifling. Seated out as long as I could get it, they were still jumping about .070". Dang thing was a Hammer with them though. Thought I'd be smart and had the barrel set back. It never did shoot quite as good after that.

well after talking to some other reloaders with r700's it seems to be a common issue. ill just have to make the best of it. good to know I'm not going crazy and i can still read a dial.