• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors R700 5-R Milspec

45ACP_Marine

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
I have a R700 5-R Milspec in .308 and I was thinking of putting a suppressor on it. While I know the basics, I am no means what I would consider knowledgeable about them. I understand the BATFE regulations and all that, but here are my questions, any and all answers would be greatly appreciated.

1.) Will threading the barrel hurt it or the accuracy of it at all?
2.) Is there a better way to attach the suppressor?
3.) What's the best suppressor for this rifle?
(Goals are accuracy and sound suppression, and I want quality)
4.) How much will said suppressor cost (roughly)?
5.) How much should I expect to spend to thread the barrel (roughly)?

Thanks

Re: R700 5-R Milspec

Even if you use QD you are going to thread it; and if done properly it won't degrade accuracy. Expect to pay $750-$1300. And I won't get in to which one is the best!
grin.gif
About a $100 to thread.

1) No, in fact some rifles become more accurate with the suppresor attached.
2) There really are just two ways, QD and direct thread on.
The particular way you chose may be dictated by how much time you will be
mounting and removing,for hunting or portabillity
3) This is vey subjective and sure to start a shit storm.
4) Just like Turk posted $750-1300
5) Also around $100, price goes up or down depending on if barrel gets shortened
or if a thread protector is desired.

Here are some dedicated sites for silencer disscusion,try just doing some reading before asking outright, it will save your thread from turning into LA FIESTA DE CACA.
Silencertalk
Silencer research
Take the information with a grain, as the kool-aid flows freely.

You may have a gunplumber in your area you trust for threading, if not, my recomodation Tornado Technologies
They may not be able to keep the timeline you want so ask first.

Consider this, threading the barrel will cost you approximately $150 from a reputable smith (GAP, APA, Tornado, etc), if you don't have one close you will be sending off your rifle and that will add another $75 for shipping roughly and the time out of pocket. I would suggest looking at having whatever you want done in one sitting, save on shipping and time out of pocket. Since you will be waiting approximately 4 months on the Form 4, that gives you plenty of time to have your rifle done.

I sent my 5R to GAP, had them thread the barrel and cut it to 22", put a bolt knob on, and Cerakote for me. Took about two months, then all I had to do was pick up my suppressor and was good to go. I chose the AAC Cyclone K due to the ump-teen reviews I read and its a bit shorter which I liked. Also my guy had one in stock, it cost me $900 with the Stamp Tax. With my 22" barrel and the suppressor I am at 29.5" in total barrel length.

My AAC Cyclone K gives me about 2 inches low and 1 inch to the right POI shift at 100 yards. I have chrony it and get about 150 fps extra out of it verse unsurpressed. I also notice my accuracy tighten up at 300 yards and out.