• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

R700 Barrel Swap, And…?

Big_Kumar

MMNC(SS)
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2019
NM
I have a Remington 700 ADL chambered in 7mm Rem Mag that I have had for about 20 years. Over time I have slowly upgraded the stock, trigger, etc. but the barrel is still original.

To make a long story short, I just picked up a Proof CF Blank on the EE and will need to find somebody to install it. Since they will have it torn apart, it seems like the right time to have any additional work done as well. Now I am just trying to figure out who I need to send it to and what work I need to have them do.

-Who do you guys recommend for barrel installs?

-Is it worth having the action trued or any other work done while it is getting worked on?

If it helps at all, this is strictly a hunting rifle. I am not trying to compete with it and don’t want to waste money on unnecessary work. The other side is that it is sentimental and I plan on keeping it for another 30+ years.

Any information, recommendations, or feedback would be appreciated.

Reactions: The D
Having a general location of where you reside can help narrow the field.

If you don't mind shipping the rifle, then your location doesn't matter.

Having a general location of where you reside can help narrow the field.

If you don't mind shipping the rifle, then your location doesn't matter.

I am moving to just north of Santa Fe, NM in a couple of weeks. It would be amazing if there was somebody reputable in Santa Fe or Albuquerque, but I only know what Google shows in the area right now.

I am not opposed to shipping the rifle, and I am not worried about lead times right now either as long as it isn’t measured in years.

Checkout @Deep South Tactical, a sponsor here that does great work at reasonable prices. If they are still running the Rem 700 trueing special for Hide members, it’s too cheap not to have done while swapping barrels.

Reactions: Big_Kumar
I have a Remington 700 ADL chambered in 7mm Rem Mag that I have had for about 20 years. Over time I have slowly upgraded the stock, trigger, etc. but the barrel is still original.

To make a long story short, I just picked up a Proof CF Blank on the EE and will need to find somebody to install it. Since they will have it torn apart, it seems like the right time to have any additional work done as well. Now I am just trying to figure out who I need to send it to and what work I need to have them do.

-Who do you guys recommend for barrel installs?

-Is it worth having the action trued or any other work done while it is getting worked on?

If it helps at all, this is strictly a hunting rifle. I am not trying to compete with it and don’t want to waste money on unnecessary work. The other side is that it is sentimental and I plan on keeping it for another 30+ years.

Any information, recommendations, or feedback would be appreciated.
Both Deep South and LRI have great reputations here so you won’t go wrong with them.

Since this is a hunting rifle, any truing work won’t add much accuracy but it will add some. Most of the accuracy gained will come from the new barrel.

But also, since this is a sentimental value rifle, you could get it trued(there is a video of the LRI process that is amazing) and make a switch barrel setup with it. The magnum bolt face opens up several very awesome options which could make this prized action a mainstay for many many years

Maybe consider Phoenix Custom Rifles. They had a short turnaround recently.

Personally I would recommend truing the action. May check your monetary investment in that action+truing compared to a custom action. Sometimes it’s nearly a toss up depending on the custom action you select.

Don’t let these naysayers get you down. Spend all the cash you want on that 700, it’s yours. I’ve got model 7s that should be made of platinum with all the work they have done.

From my experience just skim cut receiver face and lap lugs, otherwise you are going to spend too much on a complete blueprint job, that's 75 - 100 bucks depending who you send it to.

Reactions: Jack's Dad
I really appreciate all the responses so far. The Deep South deal is the kind of thing that I was hoping somebody would mention. Now I just need to see if they are still running that deal.

I hadn’t thought about truing the action and having the recoil lug pinned making it much easier to switch barrels down the road, but that definitely intrigues me as well.

Since this is a sentimental rifle, spend all the $$ you want. That’s only going to make it shoot better and get used more.

I’ll be inheriting the same thing when my dad passes away(hopefully many years down the road) that was actually my grandfather’s. I’ll be doing something similar when I get it. Maybe sooner if I can convince my dad

Don’t let these naysayers get you down. Spend all the cash you want on that 700, it’s yours. I’ve got model 7s that should be made of platinum with all the work they have done.
Don’t get me wrong, I really like my trued Rem 700’s. Both are super smooth. When starting from scratch I go custom. Think I’ve bought my last factory 700 a long time ago.

Nothing wrong with a tuned up 700 receiver.

Send me some details. You going to stick with 7 mag? I could do it for you. All the other shops mentioned are good choices too.

Chase

I have trued and untrued Remingtons as well as custom actions. If I was to do over, I'd go custom actions for a "trued" action and keep the Remingtons factory. My only reason for this is to be able to perform Remage setups on the Remington without needing a 'smith for a barrel install. Once the receiver threads are opened up by truing, you're more likely to being committed to have a 'smith fit a new barrel.

From my experience just skim cut receiver face and lap lugs, otherwise you are going to spend too much on a complete blueprint job, that's 75 - 100 bucks depending who you send it to.
Lapping the lugs is a job to be done after the lugs and lug abutments have been cut square. Rubbing two uneven surfaces together does not make them flat.