• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

R700 in 300WM

Jakel9291

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2022
USA
So I’m very new to building a bolt action rifle.
I’m planning on a 300WM build using a magpul Hunter 700L stock.
I have no clue what works, what bolt diameter works. I’ve read .475 to .540
Money is not the issue and I want to do this right the first time. The rifle will be primarily used as a hunting platform.
Any information helps!
Thank you!

You need a .532 bolt face. If money’s no object why are you using a Remington 700? There’s tons better options out there (impact, defiance, big horn, stiller, etc)

You need a .532 bolt face. If money’s no object why are you using a Remington 700? There’s tons better options out there (impact, defiance, big horn, stiller, etc)
Preference really, I could of summed it up a little better. I’m not afraid to spend money on a quality barrel and action

Preference really, I could of summed it up a little better. I’m not afraid to spend money on a quality barrel and action
Id definitely look around/research actions before committing to a R700 as you end up spending roughly the same as a fully blueprinted 700 but get an overall better product going with some of the other ones. Bartlein, Kreiger, Broughton, Lilja, Proof Research are among the many barrel choices.

If hunting id prob do a carbon fiber wrapped barrel for weight savings esp if you will be trekking with it.

Id definitely look around/research actions before committing to a R700 as you end up spending roughly the same as a fully blueprinted 700 but get an overall better product going with some of the other ones. Bartlein, Kreiger, Broughton, Lilja, Proof Research are among the many barrel choices.

If hunting id prob do a carbon fiber wrapped barrel for weight savings esp if you will be trekking with it.
So dumb question, any barrel will match up with any action?

So dumb question, any barrel will match up with any action?
If going with a prefit then yes assuming you acquire the correct prefit for your action and application. If buying a blank, your gunsmith will chamber, crown (or thread the muzzle end) and install it.

With a factory Remington 700 Long Action with the correct bolt face, you’d likely be looking for a Remage style (variable shoulder - barrel nut) setup. Do some Googling on Remage and it will point you in the right direction. I’ve used Remage barrels from Criterion and just bought a 300 Win Mag barrel from McGowen. Awesome setups. X-Caliber and Carbon Six make carbon fiber Remage barrels as well - I have an X-Caliber on my bench waiting to test and a Carbon Six on order, also in 300 Win Mag.

Hope that helps. There’s a lot of information on the site regarding Remage barrel setups. Also, check out the KRG Bravo stock - I think it offers some awesome features and additional rigidity versus the magpul.

With a factory Remington 700 Long Action with the correct bolt face, you’d likely be looking for a Remage style (variable shoulder - barrel nut) setup. Do some Googling on Remage and it will point you in the right direction. I’ve used Remage barrels from Criterion and just bought a 300 Win Mag barrel from McGowen. Awesome setups. X-Caliber and Carbon Six make carbon fiber Remage barrels as well - I have an X-Caliber on my bench waiting to test and a Carbon Six on order, also in 300 Win Mag.

Hope that helps. There’s a lot of information on the site regarding Remage barrel setups. Also, check out the KRG Bravo stock - I think it offers some awesome features and additional rigidity versus the magpul.
Thank you! I’ll take a look!

Hunting rifle, correct?
You could buy a Bighorn Origin, and a prefit, DBM/bottom metal, and the stock...
Or
Factory with the Magpul stock, DBM and heavy barrel for $1K

Or in ADL, buy your own bottom metal/DBM, and stock separately.

Shouldn't be any issue with the factory rifles shooting minute of angle or better- you can certainly spend more $$ in the pursuit of better accuracy, but the factory offering(s) also fit what you're looking for.

I want to do this right the first time.
Then don't use a 700 action. Use a good custom action. The Bighorn Origin will be $1000 but it comes true so no fixing Remington issues, comes with a pinned recoil lug and 20 moa base which are add ons to a 700. Then the biggest pro to a custom over the 700 is you buy a shouldered prefit and screw it on at home. No barrel nuts.

Want to do it right? Don't start with a 700.

Want to do it right? Don't start with a 700.

I respectfully disagree. I have a SA Origin for my match rifle, a SA R700 as a backup/hunting rifle, and a LA R700. The Origin is certainly more refined - offers the ability for shouldered prefits, changing bolt faces, and is a lot smoother than a factory action. I shoot all three actions regularly- the Remingtons aren’t blueprinted or worked on at all from factory configuration and they shoot Sub MOA, consistent with caliber standards. My 6BR Remage shot just as well as my 6BR shouldered barrel on the Origin.

I’ll likely buy an Impact for my next action - doesn’t mean the Origin is bad. The Remington 700 action is still a solid platform.

That being said, I forgot about Mack Bros. I haven’t used it, but their EVO Stainless actions are very interesting at that price point.

There's no reason to not go custom in this situation. Like you said, you want to do it right, and getting an Origin or similar custom action is an easy button for a rifle that'll last you forever.

Slap on a sporter barrel or carbon barrel, a Triggertech or Bix n Andy trigger, and any stock/chassis made for R700 footprint and you're good to go.

It's just that easy.

Reactions: Feesh
I respectfully disagree. I have a SA Origin for my match rifle, a SA R700 as a backup/hunting rifle, and a LA R700. The Origin is certainly more refined - offers the ability for shouldered prefits, changing bolt faces, and is a lot smoother than a factory action. I shoot all three actions regularly- the Remingtons aren’t blueprinted or worked on at all from factory configuration and they shoot Sub MOA, consistent with caliber standards. My 6BR Remage shot just as well as my 6BR shouldered barrel on the Origin.

I’ll likely buy an Impact for my next action - doesn’t mean the Origin is bad. The Remington 700 action is still a solid platform.
You can disagree if you like but doesn’t make it not true. Been doing this 30 years and still have my original 700 action which has been worked over and on its 9th barrel but doesn’t make it a better choice than an origin. For what he wants he should pass the 700 and start with a solid platform.