• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing R700 Magazine Box Not Retaining Rounds

Former0302

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2008
Baltimore County
Home bedded my rifle, to include the floor plate.

Upon reassembly and function check, the follower doesn't retain my rounds anymore (e.g. I can't get my rounds to stay seated in the magazine). They don't "catch" in the magazine and push back up into the path of the bolt.

Rifle is a stock R700 PSS in .223 skim bedded with Devcon in the HS precision stock it came in.

I did not disassemble the follower from the spring.

Thoughts before I start over with the bedding job? Possible residual release agent left on my receiver?

Thanks in advance.

Re: R700 Magazine Box Not Retaining Rounds

Well, I replaced the magazine box assembly, which after googling magazine spacer I believe should have a spacer included in the assembly.

But, I'll check when I get home

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former0302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I replaced the magazine box assembly, which after googling magazine spacer I believe should have a spacer included in the assembly. </div></div>

Sounds like you have the wrong width of magazine box.
There are many different widths available and they are cartridge family specific.
If you change the width of the box, that changes how the rounds stagger within the stack.
If you change the stagger, the rounds will either pop out the top, or will not want to pop up past the lips and feed correctly.

Could be the rear of the trigger guard isn't deep enough in the stock. I've done it before when bedding the floor plate. WHen I went to load a round the angle of the follower was shallower in the rear. The mag spring put pressure from the shoulder to the projectile of the loaded round and they would more or less pop out.