• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes R700 scope base?

uncledog57

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2011
Morro Bay, Ca
I have rings attached to the action. I want to change to a rail that will house a Vortex Viper PST next month when the $ comes together. I need a suggestion for what company for the rail and rings? Also is there anything special about mounting? Does the rail just screw down to the base? I'm shooting 100 to 400 yards.
Thank you guys so much! I am learning so much on the hide!

Re: R700 scope base?

I would personally recommend Seekins Precision, very high quality and made buy a good guy in the USA. Badger is a great chouce as well, you cant go wrong either way.

If you are on a tight budget, Warne would be another way to go, they make a good tactical base (0 or 20 MOA) and rings.

Kirk R

Allot of people reccomend EGW for the budget minded, I run a weaver 20moa, its not the best I spose, I bedded it to the receiver and it sits straight and flat aside from the slight downward rake, which is what i look for. Others can advise on higher end. Either way make sure and mount it stress free, its not always as simple as just screwing it down to the receiver, there should be some info on here somewhere about it. Search.

If your wondering where to buy, there are a bunch of vendors that frequent this site with good prices and good fast delivery.

I bought from SWFA many times and they are GTG. There are others others which I would trust as well based on what others have said.

As far as a rail mount, EGW and Badger get my +1's.

I went the cheap route and bought some standard rings and a two piece base for them. Turns out cheap turns expensive real fast as the rings had a failure and damaged the scope on their way out. Luckily everything got fixed, but now I'm sticking with the best and Seekins is right up there.

Take my advice and DO NOT skimp on rings or the base. Also invest in a mounting kit like the one from Wheeler or take everything to a smith to properly mount everything.

i have been using a warne 20 moa base and nightforce ultralight rings......been very happy with both for the price. Tps bases have been good to me too. Wish NF made a 34mm ring.

Thanks very much guys! I have used EGW on a 10/22 build before and had luck with them. I see Vortex also makes rings? Any thought about that since I will be using their scope?
Also thanks for the idea of the install kit I had no idea?

This is what happens when you go cheap both on the rings/base and the mounting kit.

img20110815131721.jpg

img20110815132355.jpg

Don't go cheap on the rings and base. In all the research I did when I was looking for mine I keep running into the thought that I was about to buy what I think is a pretty expensive good scope. And there I was trying to save money on the very things used to keep that glass mounted securely. It just doesn't make a lot of sense too me. You wouldn't build a drag car and put on the cheapest rubber would you?

J

buy once cry once.
Theres alot of crap to sort through you wanna spend anywhere in the ballpark of about 1/3 to 1/2 the scopes value on a medium to attach optics to your rifle

That's why ill not do the 2 piece scope mounts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtv3062</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's why ill not do the 2 piece scope mounts </div></div>
Thats' a rather silly statement. Theres' absolutely nothing wrong with two-piece bases, as long as they're properly mounted and aligned. In fact, I know a certain Master Gunsmith who - while he has machined lots of one-piece bases under contract for others, chooses to only equip his rifles with two-piece bases.

The guy I'm referring to has been building rifles for 26 years, holds a full patent on his suppressor design, has more than 600 agencies and other types of teams using his rifles & suppressors worldwide, and - oh yeah, his rifles are proven and extremely accurate with scopes mounted on two-piece bases too.

X-Ray51BT28RSProfileFF18x6.jpg

Keith

Im not saying 2 piece mounts are bad, I just don't have the tools to properly mount them and I don't plan to.

I'd also advise against such rules of thumb as spending 1/3 to 1/2 of the scope's value. Just get good equipment. Badger, Nightforce, Seekins, Warne, etc. My Nightforce setup was under $250, if I remember right.

I spent about $240 on the Seekins rings and base and another $125 for the mounting kit that will all probably last for life.

You aren't just buying something here, you are investing. You are investing in the protection and proper alignment of your scope. Don't try to save a couple hundred and compromise the chances of the scope losing alignment or even being damaged like mine.

Learn from our mistakes so you don't have to make them yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ashih313</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what happens when you go cheap both on the rings/base and the mounting kit.

img20110815131721.jpg

img20110815132355.jpg
</div></div>

Looks more like the rings needed aligned, lapped, and properly torqued.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks more like the rings needed aligned, lapped, and properly torqued.
</div></div>

Hence the mounting kit.
smile.gif

If you're getting the Viper PST go with Vortex's Precision Match rings (Made by Seekins Precision). I have their low set on my Remington 700 with an EGW 20 MOA HD base, and it has plenty of clearance. Flawless set up imo.

While we're on the subject. What do you guys think of Burris Xtreme rings?

I've heard mixed reviews on the Burris X-Treme rings while I have no personal experience. My philosophy is invest in your investments. If your scope is around $1k, then don't risk screwing it all up with a cheap pair of rings.

Well I order a EGW base and then changed my mind and canceled it. Ordered a Seekins from SWFA and they didn't tell me they were on back order till I inquired as to their whereabouts? Then last but not least I ordered a Badger from Midway and It is on it's way.
I think I have changed my mind about the Viper PST and may hold out and save for a Nightforce. The more I think about it the more I want one! It will just take some serious saving! In the end I think it will be worth it? I'll see if I can hold out? Lol!

<span style="font-weight: bold">Seekins Precision.</span>