• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns R870 Side Saddles

USMC22

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
New Hampshire
Hey guys,

Looking at side saddle options for use with a Wilson Combat Professional (NFA R870). I didn’t have a side saddle built with the gun having heard nothing but horror stories. I’m looking at taking a Sig Sauer course and a side saddle is required. My top picks, Vang Comp Detachable Card System and Esstac 6 Round Cards are not in stock anywhere. Anyone got some good info for me on which way to go?

I used a Mesa SideSaddle that I also modified to optimize cartridge retention. Years ago I started out with the 18" Wilson Scatterguns Technologies 870 and quickly decided the weight of the filled extended magazine tube combined with the bulky surefire forend was not only heavy to support it really was sluggish getting the weight to move / stop on target transitions. Modified it to 14" with a 4 shell sidesaddle and 2 shell Asgaard forward shell holder (which are really handy for fast single loading or change cartridge choices); providing a total of 12 rounds (5+1), sidesaddle=4, forward holder=2) available on the gun.

A common problem with rigid side saddles is either too much retention friction slowing down extraction efforts or too little friction allowing them to fall out upon recoil. Mesa uses a rubber tube that fits within a channel , exposing the tube at each cartridge holder to provide the friction; problem is when cartridges are retained there for a short period of time, the tube compliantly compresses with the consequence of less retention force.

Maybe the best sidesaddle is made by Asgaard Defense that I use on a 14" Benelli M4 Entry; instead of rubber / silicone friction points they used ball bearings which of course did not suffer prolonged retention problems.

I also find that 4 cartridge sidesaddles usually sufficient for most course of fires.
I am surprised to hear Sig course requires a sidesaddle.

DSC_0140 copy.JPG
Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 10.48.52 AM.png
IMG_5325 copy.JPG
Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 10.49.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 10.50.34 AM.png
IMG_5737.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: USMC22
I've had side saddles on 3 of my 870s for years, but I can't tell you the manufacturer. However, I got into an argument with a gun range proprietor about one. Most side saddle cover up the serial number on the 870. He didn't allow me to shoot my shotgun because he said there was some law about the 870 and side saddles. He said the serial number must be visible by law. To this day, I've never been able to find this law.

I've had side saddles on 3 of my 870s for years, but I can't tell you the manufacturer. However, I got into an argument with a gun range proprietor about one. Most side saddle cover up the serial number on the 870. He didn't allow me to shoot my shotgun because he said there was some law about the 870 and side saddles. He said the serial number must be visible by law. To this day, I've never been able to find this law.
A serial number cannot be modified, defaced or absent from a firearm in which you are not the manufacturer of and if you sell it a serial number would need to be added. I have a NFA shotgun (short barrel) so having a side saddle that leaves the serial number visible is just a convenience thing if the ATF / LEO wanted to check it. Sounds like the oxygen thief you were trying to o have a conversation with was a real winner.

A serial number cannot be modified, defaced or absent from a firearm in which you are not the manufacturer of and if you sell it a serial number would need to be added. I have a NFA shotgun (short barrel) so having a side saddle that leaves the serial number visible is just a convenience thing if the ATF / LEO wanted to check it. Sounds like the oxygen thief you were trying to o have a conversation with was a real winner.

Yeah, he's known for being a king among kings. At least in his mind.

Most thoughtful sidesaddle designs have a relief cut to expose the serial #. Inexpensive ones, not so much.

The Range Officer mentioned above, is ignorant for prohibiting use of a shotgun with any device covering the serial number, and should be made to
produce said law.

There is no such law in the land; there might be private range rule though with little to argue about there except stupidity of such nonsense.

Riddle-him- this: I guess shooting an M&P with a rail light that covers the Serial No. would be prohibited as well?

Only BATFE agents have the authority to "make available to see your ATF registration", it does not state you must produce it right there in then, in fact you could send by fax / email later in the day to the agents regional office. Such a registration is not like a driver's license that is required to be produced roadside. The BATFE registration is more like a IRS 1040 tax form to be produced as necessary, certainly no one carries theirs about with them. I do however keep a photo of all BATFE stamps on iPhone to show a BATFE agent, so legal theory does not ruin my day, just in case.

IMG_5738.jpg

IMG_7142 copy.JPG
IMG_0006 copy.JPG
Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 4.23.31 PM.png

Last edited:
I don't have any special links for the side saddle. I did see this one that has adjustable tensioning.
Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 12.13.32 PM.png