• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RA Ultramatch cleaning?

WxWatcher

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Norman, OK
So I've read a general conscientious on here that (over) cleaning can do more harm than good. RA/Shilen says that when cleaning a bore guide is highly recommended, as is a cleaning rod that allows the rod to rotate independent of the handle so that it doesn't jump lands/groves to harm the rifling. I have an Otis MSR/AR cleaning system as I'm pretty fond of the cable systems and saving space vs an actual rod. The cable obviously has some give in it but can't rotate freely like a good rod. Do you think that using the Otis system is fine in an RA barrel, or do I need/should invest in another system?

Or is something like patches and nylon brushes are ok with the Otis, but use a rotating rod for bronze brushes?

I'm not wild about the Otis kits personally as I have never found them to work exceptionally well (ok for a quick field cleaning when you may not have access to or room to carry anything else, but FAR from ideal for cleaning a precision rig properly/thoroughly).

I much prefer a quality coated cleaning rod (1pc...Dewey makes some damn nice ones as a rule, but there are MANY options on the market), a good bore guide (JP for ARs works well...see here: JP - Gunsmithing and Maintenance ), quality jags such as the Dewey/Parker Hale style jags (see here: parker hale jag at Brownells ) with good quality 100&% cotton flannel patches (again...everyone has their preferences as to brand, etc., but good patches aren't tough to find in bulk of 1k or so for ~$20 or less). Much like views on barrel break-in, cleaning has a veritable shit-ton of options/opinions/etc., and everyone has their own "best practices" to get the job done. YMMV!

For my RAUM barrel, I'm using a Gunslick Bore Guide, Tipton one piece rod, and a Parker Hale jag. When you clean, make sure to push the rod straight to avoid having it bend and contact the bore. I would avoid the Otis kit for general cleaning and allocate it more for field cleaning (ie. you get a bunch of mud in your barrel).

Keep in mind, cleaning a precision barrel is not really a common occurrence among most of us. It's not needed very often. I've only cleaned my Ultramatch barrel a few times so far.

Can you rebutton the rifling in your barrel while cleaning it, I don't think so. When you barrel was made the cutters were ether pushed or pulled, if you push on a long rod trying to push something it may or will flex or bend, if you use that same rod to pull with it will not bend or flex, but it may stretch & break.

The pull through patch or rod has a better chance of staying center in the bore than one being pushed through the bore. Think about this if you push a chisel it cuts, if you pull that chisel it will do nothing.