• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Racoon Calling!

Pigman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2011
Katy, TX
A few weeks ago my cousin got a Foxpro Wildfire. Neither of us had ever used a Foxpro before so we didn't know if it was just hype or if it really worked. He told me the first night he used it he called in 3 or 4 yotes and a few days later he called in 2 more. Then about a week after that he texted me and said he turned on "racoon in distress" and called in 3 coons. I believed he called in the coyotes, but the racoons I wasn't sure about. He invited me to go with him and his step-brother to his step-dad's lease Thursday night so I went with them and I'm glad I did!

My cousin and I were sitting in the stand and right after dark my cousin turned on the "coon in distress" call on the Foxpro. I had his Savage .17 HMR ready for coons and he had his Remington 700 .300 win mag ready for anything else. We had the call on for about 3 minutes when we shined the light behind us and sure enough; a coon at the base of a tree and another coon in the tree. I got the .17 out the window and took out the coon on the ground. I handed the gun to my cousin who had a clearer shot at the other one, and he dropped that one. We went and claimed our kills and continued to walk through the woods for another 10 minutes and killed another 2 coons out of a tree before his step-brother came to pick us up. We went back to the truck to get the red spotlight and proceeded to make a quick loop around the property to kill a few more coons before we went to dinner. We had been riding around for 5 minutes when we spotted 4 coons in a tree and we took them out. By the time we got ready to go to dinner we had gotten the count to 10 coons but we weren't done yet.

We got back from dinner and got ready to go. I was driving and had my cousin's .50 Beowulf in my lap, my cousin was in the passenger seat with the spotlight, and his step-brother was riding in the bed with his S&W AR15 resting on the roof. Now the fun began. We headed over to a pond and saw 2 coons in a tree on the other side. We didn't feel like killing them and then having to walk over there to find them, so we decided to make them come to us. My cousin set the Foxpro on the hood, turned on "coon in distress" and within seconds we could hear one of them coming down the tree. We wait a couple minutes, shined the light, and he was running towards us through the shallow end of the pond 30 yards away. He ran a little more, I yelled at him, and when he stopped my step-cousin took him out. We kept doing this all over the property and even had one coon come to the call from a tree at least 120 yards away. He got within 40 feet of us and my step-cousin killed him. My cousin videoed that one so I'll try to see if I can upload it on here. We ended up getting a total of 19 in about 4 hours. If you have a Foxpro you need to try the "coon in distress" call. I was skeptical at first but I am now a believer.

coons_zps9c00c58e.jpg

Re: Racoon Calling!

Coons respond super well to calls, and mostly charge in pretty recklessly.

Good shootin!

Pretty good nights hunt. A friend of mine like to use the crow call on his foxpro, says if he's in the right spot they just come flocking in.

I've called them in during the day using the coon distress that comes on a Foxpro CS 24...The coons come charging!

How far are you setting up from den trees? Are you having better luck any certain time of day?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's too bad spotlighting laws here are so restrictive here its not worth doing. Especially if your wanting to hunt with friends.</div></div>

Yeah every state is different. I was bummed when I found out I couldnt spotlight in SD. Also dont like that you cant use a dog to find your deer. As shitty as CA is, these are 2 things we CAN do here and I would miss them if I move to SD

We do, alotta times when we do it they are hauling ass coming in or right on top of you when you turn the light on. We use 3" lead 2s and 3s and it puts em down pretty quick. We almost exclusively call with a shotgun and anyway and use the .22 mag only for backup or the hungup coyote we sometimes call in.

We used a .50 Beowulf with iron sights, .17 HMR w/ 2.5-10x scope, and 5.56 AR w/ 3-9x scope. Next time though we're using the .17 and a S&W M&P-22 with a red dot for the in your face shots. We'll definitely have to try calling them in during the day next time. Hopefully we can get some good daytime videos.

Farmboy,
When we call den trees we go to backside of the hole and place caller about ten yards from base of tree. We call from first light till about noon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's too bad spotlighting laws here are so restrictive here its not worth doing. Especially if your wanting to hunt with friends.</div></div>

Yeah every state is different. I was bummed when I found out I couldnt spotlight in SD. Also dont like that you cant use a dog to find your deer. As shitty as CA is, these are 2 things we CAN do here and I would miss them if I move to SD </div></div>

You can spotlight in SD...maybe not for non-resident. Odd, since hunting brings about 25% of the state's entire revenue i.e. outta state hunters. I know pheasant hunting is over a third of my hometown's annual income.

Spotlighting is legal on foot...with a landowner and one guest...using either a .22 rimfire or shotgun.

And even then...expect to have GFP trespass on your land if they find ya. Just to make sure your not breaking the law and to kindly inform what laws you didn't break.

Just sucks since spotlighting just large expanses of open ground usually means a truck is needed. And no landowner that actually owns large tracks or even small tracks of land is gonna be out late at night. They got farm shit to do...so your alone or breaking the law.

And hunting anything with NVG's...your land or not is completely illegal. But of course that doesn't stop GFP...go figure.

Most landowners only allow family or paying clients (which is fine...its their land after all) to hunt. So even in SD, hunting for the resident "common man" is getting pretty much too expensive.</div></div>

I read this on the GFP website and didnt look into it any further.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 11pt">Coyotes</span>
Season: open year-round
Limit: Unrestricted shooting hours and limit
Shooting Hours: Unrestricted - coyotes may be hunted at night, but <span style="color: #FF0000">no artificial lights of any kind are permitted </span>
No restriction on caliber of rifles and/or handguns </span>