• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft radio communication question (military)

match-grade

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2006
Knoxville, TN
I was talking to a ham buddy of mine about a piece of comm we used. It was a small device that you would type into and then hold it up to the mic and it would send a short burst of the alpha/numeric message. Sort of like text message i guess.

Anyway. Its been a long time since I had my hands on one and cannot for the life of me remember the name of it.

Anyone?

Re: radio communication question (military)

You can use your computer's sound card to do the same thing. http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html

Type your message, it codes it into whatever mode you specify (CW, PSK31, MT63, etc.), play it over your radio, and a computer with the software on the other end translates it.

I was just playing around with this a few days ago with some other local amateur radio operators, and it worked great. We had the greatest success with MT63-2000 as it has a very low error rate.

Not sure what it was in the military you were using however, sorry!

It wasn't the GRA-71 by any chance??? Burst Transmission via morse code...We had them in the 1970's apparently coupled to our PRC-316 radios, but that was a bit before my time....

Thanks guys. Still have not come up with the name of it yet though. I have been away from stuff like this for a long time, and am looking to really get back in to ham again.

Lownwolf, my use of it was very limited as well. Maybe half a dozen times.

What I used was in the late 90's and I think I am misremembering how it worked.

IIRC it was a terminal system that connected to the PRC-119. I think I was believing it was a burst system because you typed out the whole message, then keyed the transmit.

It was a big blocky thing with a red LED display panel and a green canvas glare shield.

Damn that's bugging me. I am sure I have a manual to one around here somewhere.

are you thinking about a KL-43c. This was like a small computer keyboard the sent messages. It the only thing I can think of that we used that done that.

I remember a little black keyboard box that hooked into a SINCGARS that our commo guys used, but I think it was more for entering encryption codes rather than sending burst messages.

that is a kl-43 it was a small black box with keys on it like a keyboard that you typed your message.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pevrs114</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember a little black keyboard box that hooked into a SINCGARS that our commo guys used, but I think it was more for entering encryption codes rather than sending burst messages.</div></div>

ANCD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pevrs114</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember a little black keyboard box that hooked into a SINCGARS that our commo guys used, but I think it was more for entering encryption codes rather than sending burst messages.</div></div>

ANCD </div></div>

Yup that's what I was thinking of, couldn't remember the name. Thanks!

CYZ-10_DTDs.jpg

Make sure that bad boy is tied down, if you value your life...

We just call it the cyz-10 (crazy 10).
Its being phased out for the new SKL (simple key loader)
Basically a palm pilot with crypto on steroids.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pevrs114</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pevrs114</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember a little black keyboard box that hooked into a SINCGARS that our commo guys used, but I think it was more for entering encryption codes rather than sending burst messages.</div></div>

ANCD </div></div>

Yup that's what I was thinking of, couldn't remember the name. Thanks!

CYZ-10_DTDs.jpg
</div></div>

I remember those, but what I am thinking of had a red, lit LED display and even came pre-loaded with formatted messages for fire missions and other stuff.

Damn my suck-ass memory. I used to love comm stuff. Well, except for carrying extra batteries. We always had to choose between batteries and chow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sure that bad boy is tied down, if you value your life... </div></div>

I remember when our Unit first got encryption devices for the vehicle radios and all us signallers had to be positive security vetted before we could go on the course and use the devise..We were all having a laugh about how "James Bond" it was until mine came back with a question mark as I had failed to mention a relative on my wifes side who had married an East German!
blush.gif
blush.gif

As Luke suggests, once the devices were fitted and operational, they were treated in the same manner as a firearm ie the encyption "brick" had to be signed for and never left unattended ect..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It wasn't the GRA-71 by any chance??? Burst Transmission via morse code...We had them in the 1970's apparently coupled to our PRC-316 radios, but that was a bit before my time.... </div></div>

OMG That's funny - I used to fix those..and TRQ/32's, GLQ/3b's, PRC77's, RT/524 systems.

You name it I fixed it, was specially good wiht the TNH 11's and 20's tho, recorders were my specialty.

And I'm only 44 LOL, I was 18 at the time, 2 years of school at Ft Devens for fixing that stuff!!!

I had an old AN/R390 (Tube, .5-32mhz) receiver in my house for a loooooong time....

Then I got stuck in the ArcticLight Infantry LOL

Bet you wished you had one of these - except at 20 below when they stick together..

rc292b.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It wasn't the GRA-71 by any chance??? Burst Transmission via morse code...We had them in the 1970's apparently coupled to our PRC-316 radios, but that was a bit before my time.... </div></div>

OMG That's funny - I used to fix those..and TRQ/32's, GLQ/3b's, PRC77's, RT/524 systems.

You name it I fixed it, was specially good wiht the TNH 11's and 20's tho, recorders were my specialty.

And I'm only 44 LOL, I was 18 at the time, 2 years of school at Ft Devens for fixing that stuff!!!

I had an old AN/R390 (Tube, .5-32mhz) receiver in my house for a loooooong time....

Then I got stuck in the ArcticLight Infantry LOL

Bet you wished you had one of these - except at 20 below when they stick together..

rc292b.jpg
</div></div>

I don't think we were issued those; in fact I'm not sure just how much radio kit was common between American and British Forces.

The Clansman PRC320 was my main forte.

http://www.mod-sales.com/auction/vehicle/home/23509/CLANSMAN_PRC320.htm#

Unlike the fairly idiot proof VHF sets, this was HF, and took a degree of skill to use, especially when you started building your own dipoles ect..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Arctic.... This stuff might look familiar to you then ... although this pic isn't in the rack...

R-390A + CV-591 + LS-206 = SIGINT X2 (SSB) Listening Station

390sta.jpg

Or maybe this vintage ? Watkins Johnson 8718A/MFP... HF SIGINT set from a P3 Orion station.

WJ8718AMFP.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember those, but what I am thinking of had a red, lit LED display...</div></div>

That's the one I remember too. Used it in STA a bit back in the early 90's. Can't recall the damn name though!

There is a lot of info available online. LW, you plugged in.

Discussions of how you used ky and kyv and kek's and such starts to worry people unless you are talking to each other privately vice the world wide web. Just sayin'

Some butt pirate right now is closing down his gas station and logging on to determine if there is some good fact he can gather. Tomorrow, he works on his final paper for his class at UNC. Maybe he drives his vehicle through the student gathering area, but, more likely he:

gets an A and applies for Scholarship money available to foreigners and gets it. Some of the money he sets aside for the cause.