• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GuerrillaTactical

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2008
Ft Collins
I'm looking for a civilian radio that has a 5 pin military connector to run all of the standard attachments and head/handsets to to train comm procedures. Range(don't need HF) and price should be practical. Any suggestions?

Re: Radios

OK, first off, there really is no "standard" military connector for military radios. There are tons of different connectors. What radio are you talking about specifically? PRC 148? If so, there is a civillian version of the PRC 148 called the PRC 25, or something, but it would be a very expensive option. Actually, there is a company that is now making replica PRC 148's that actually work, they have like 12 channels, and look really good. They are about $100 each. Go to ebay and do a search for PRC 148 and they will come up.

As far as civilian radios that take military headsets, I have never seen one. Most guys make adapters which are very easy to do. I have the pin-outs for most military handsets and headsets and can turn you on to some homebrew adapters.

It would be helpful to list what radios and handsets/headsets you are talikng about specifically.I assume you're talking about a PRC 148 with an H-250/u, but that's just a guess.

Feel free to PM me if you want.

Jimmy2Times,

I appreciate your input on this subject...

What kind of range are these going to have?

Is this the best unit for the price?

Also, not to hijack, but is there a good throat mic out there that actually works?
The ones I have seen need their own battery.
Are there any that do not?

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jimmy2Times,

I appreciate your input on this subject...

What kind of range are these going to have?

Is this the best unit for the price?

Also, not to hijack, but is there a good throat mic out there that actually works?
The ones I have seen need their own battery.
Are there any that do not?

Thanks! </div></div>

Yes, those are the exact radios I was talking about. that is the going price for them. With a 1.5 Watt output, I would expect them to perform just like a FRS radio.

As far as throat mikes, I have no experience with them. Radios are just another hobby for me, never used them for ATAS purposes.

Our local depertment uses Motorola agency type handhelds (Saber..?) with a tonelike scrambler code. But when they go to the range they use the standard commercial Motorola "Talkabout" handhelds.

Just to keep things clear. I haven't been connected with the local departments for 10 years. And radio is another hobby of mine as well.

Thanks for the info guys!

Personally I am looking for something I can get deep into the Adirondacks with, in nasty, wet, extremely cold weather, with changes in elevation, and communicate hands free over many miles.
I have used Motorola talkabouts in the past and been disappointed in their lack of range.

We can continue this discussion in a separate thread.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Sorry to get this side-tracked G-TAC.
Does anyone have any other radio suggestions that will fit his 5-pin connectors?</span>

Well, I would say that connector would have to a standard because one handset fits them all (119, 119F, 117, 148 maritime and land, 150, and 152) That seems pretty standard to me.

What I had in mind was a motorola type radio, or ham radio that would take the standard military handset. If you could walk me on to an adapter that would be great.

i've done some research into this topic... because i want to run peltor comtacs with my yaesu vx7r. peltor doesnt make a PTT cable for this radio. to have a custom PTT cable built, it costs more than the radio did.

i've seen nato wired comtac headsets on ebay go for about 200$ with boom mic... thought about going this route, but couldnt really find any civ. radio to hook into the nato wired head set.
i'll look into the radio posted above.

i basically settled on the idea of getting a set of peltor comtacs w/ motorola ptt and getting a couple ht1000 motorolas programmed for 2m off of ebay.

as for a good radio for mountains... all handhelds non HF handy talkies are going to be line of sight only, absent a repeater. its basically impossible to get any good range, absent your tech license as well.