• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rail and rings for changing scope between rifles. Possilbe?

mefizto

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2014
Greetings all,

I read that with a quality picattiny rail and rings, it is possible to change a scope between rifles without much if any zero adjustment. Unfortunately, I failed to save the reference. Is it really possible?

If so, could you recommend appropriate combination? One rail would be mounted on Remington 700 action, the other on Anschutz 54 action.

Kindest regards,

M

So just to confirm, you’re wanting to know the possibility of using one optic/mount combination - without adjusting zero - on two different rifles, one being a 700 and the other being a .22?

If so, the answer is no. The answer would likely be no even if you had 2 identical rifles.

Adjusting zero or taking off optic and then replacing it on the same rifle? Sure, anything is possible.

Last edited:
Hi just browsing,

thank you for the reply. Yes, your understanding is correct, but maybe I did not express myself correctly. If the optics mounts with a repeatable accuracy on both mounts, I can simply readjust elevation by a constant amount.

Just for my education, is it correct that the answer would be no for two identical rifles because of the different ballistics?

Kindest regards,

M

Two rifles are going to point different directions, if they share the same zero with no adjustment then it’s just dumb luck.

If you mean that the adjustment required to zero between the two is repeatable then yes, that’s possible. The better the gear the truer it is and the less that can change between each installation.

Hi spife7980,

thank you for the reply. Regarding the two rifles, why would they point to different directions? The rails are centered on the action/barrel, so like with the different rifles, I would need to adjust zero due to different ballistics. Or, what am I missing?

Yes, the repeatability of zero adjustment is, what I was asking about. So, what would be the recommended rail/rings combination?

Kindest regards,

M

Hi spife7980,

thank you for the reply. Regarding the two rifles, why would they point to different directions? The rails are centered on the action/barrel, so like with the different rifles, I would need to adjust zero due to different ballistics. Or, what am I missing?

Yes, the repeatability of zero adjustment is, what I was asking about. So, what would be the recommended rail/rings combination?

Kindest regards,

M

Because barrels aren’t actually straight.

Just get a set of rings like ARC rings. They will be as repeatable as you can get.

Reactions: spife7980
Hi Dthomas3523,

thank you for the explanation and ring recommendation. Based on that, I take it that the fail is not as critical.

Kindest regards,

M

Like dt said, the stuff isn’t actually straight in addition to the ballistics/trajectories as you mentioned. Sure it’s really really good but extend that over 100 yards and the minute differences and tolerance stacking adds up to a sizable amount. And that’s multiplied by you the shooter and how you interface with the different rifles themselves. Two people on the same rifle with nothing changed can have different zeros.

The repeatability is there though.

I take my arc m10s off often enough I that believe that with a torque wrench and those rings you’re as good and repeatable as you can get.

It's not just elevation, even by changing ammunition in the same rifle you can send a shot group farther to the left or right. If you had a quality mount, index Mark's on each rifle, and you log your data to change zero back-and-forth between the two weapons. It would be probable but I wouldn't just swap it without firing to reconfirm zero.

With good rings torqued properly each time the zeros should be repeatable.

Example you zero the scope on a .:308. When you move it to a 223 it shoots 1/2” high and 1” right. You could have that written down so when you switch to 223 you just adjust your elevation down 2 clicks and left 4 clicks then you are good to shoot the 223

Hi spife7980,

thank you for confirming that the repeatability will be there. That is the word I should have used, sorry for the imprecise language.

Hi Romeo458,

indeed, my real concern was how repeataeble it would be. For example, if, as deersniper suggested I will keep a log and make the adjustments, will I be close enough to just do minor adjustments, or will I have to repeat the adjustment anew.

Hi deersniper,

the procedure you have outlined is exactly what I am after.

Thank you all for your time, your knowledge and willingness to share it is appreciated.

Kindest regards,

M

Well like Deer said if you get quality rings and you buy a proper torque wrench or a driver made for scope mounting you have a pretty good shot. Whenever I mount something on a pic rail I always push it as far forward as it will go and then tighten it down. This helps with repeatability, and if you're going with mounts like a one piece I highly recommend LaRue.

No matter what don't plan on swapping an optic back-and-forth and being able to cold barrel without confirming zero until you have done it several times, even then if you can check your zero. And log, log, log everything.