• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rail mounted bubble level

Lagnus.Polomn

Registered from Finland
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2018
Hello, new member here and my first post. I hope the pictures come trough.

I made this under scope, rail mounted bubble level. The reason for this is that I don't like the scope mounted levels and the common rail mounted stuff sticks to the side and snags on stuff (or this is my experience with them). This one is under the scope in the field of view and has little bit of phosphor behind the level for low light situations.
IMG_20200428_171811.jpgIMG_20200428_171722.jpgIMG_20200428_171632.jpgglow.jpg
I made it out of marine epoxy and old bubble level. I formed a square mold with straw sticking trough it over picatinny and filled it with epoxy, which was followed by shaping and sanding. To get the bubble level straight was easy task cause the hole left by straw was bigger than the level itself. I wedged it straight with toothpicks and glued in place.

Right now its friction held but has hold its place trough couple of range trips. Tough I'm little bit paranoid loosing it and thinking about drilling and pin attaching it trough picantinny slots.

Reactions: 338dude and Tono
can you show your mold set up? I have plenty of composite materials and would love to make this....

Don't have any pictures of the mold but I made this quick drawing how I made it.
I used electric tape to give relief for the picantinny rail. Tough I got it stuck and needed to hammer it out. Man Epoxy can be strong stuff, even in this sort of application. Didn't use the rail of action to form the mold. There were bubbles on few spots but was not hard to apply more epoxy for even coat.
IMG_20200503_220118.jpgdaw2.png

I Hope this helps.

Reactions: 338dude