• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rail options for covering +2 rifle gas system

fanninland

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2017
NE Texas
I have a 20" Craddock 224V +2 gas inbound and looking for a rail that will cover the gb. Leaning towards the Geissele Mk18 or Noveske 16.8" NSR. Damn... hard to cough up that much cash right now. Couple questions...

1) any known clearance issues with either of these rails and .875 gb? (probably will be either a SLR or Sup Arms)
2) it was casually mentioned in another thread on the G Mk18 to "pick one up when they go on sale", almost like this happens somewhat regularly. Hmmm.....when might that be?

Also, if anyone has other extended rifle gas rail options I'm all ears. Thanks ya'll.

Thanks, I will check the Odin out. I run their 12” rails on several SBR’s (matches up perfect with a can on a 12.5” barrel) but didn’t think about them for this application.

Alrighty will check those out as well.
Any y’all know what minimum length is needed to cover rifle +2 gas system?

I’m pretty sure rifle length is 13”. So +2 and anything longer then 15”-15.5” should cover the gas block.

Reactions: fanninland
JP makes an extend rail as well. I have the MK18 on my DMR rifle and love it. It comes with a gas block as well.
CAAC4073-1153-4C21-A544-2715730E196D.jpeg

I’m pretty sure rifle length is 13”. So +2 and anything longer then 15”-15.5” should cover the gas block.
White oak armory states minimum 15 inch to cover there .875 GB. Just got my 24 inch 224 +2 from them.

Just got a new 17 inch strike industries free float rail, definitely will cover the GB

Thanks for the replies. Barrel arrived and yes hlee is correct, looks like it will take a 16” rail tocover gb.

I emailed Geissele about .875 gb clearance on a Mk18- they wouldn’t say for sure but said probably not as that rail is one of their slimmer ones. There was a comment in a review that said it wouldn’t, so I’d tend to agree with drwood96 that it’d be too right.

BTW the MK18 just came back in stock on Geissele website a couple days ago if anyone’s been looking for one .....

Any good/bad experiences with these rails?

SLR IonLite 16”
V Seven Enlightened 16.5”
JP Mk3 17.5”

Prefer minimal flex/burly barrel nut attachment over ultra light weight/highly machined.

[QUOTE="TACC, post: 8502047, member: 132257"

Just got a new 17 inch strike industries free float rail, definitely will cover the GB
[/QUOTE]

would appreciate your impressions and a pic when ya get it mounted.....

Any good/bad experiences with these rails?

SLR IonLite 16”
V Seven Enlightened 16.5”
JP Mk3 17.5”

Prefer minimal flex/burly barrel nut attachment over ultra light weight/highly machined.

I run the JP MK3's on all my AR's. They are extremely solid.

I was looking at a Sergeant of Arms rail the other day (has integrated RRS/Arca like the Mk18) and it comes in 17".

I have two Geissele MK18 rails and I guarantee a .875 GB is not gonna fit. My .750 JP adjustable block wouldn't fit without just barely touching the rail...had to swap it for an AGB with a slimmer profile.

SLR rails are also a slim profile (1.3" ID on most). I would avoid them for a .875 block.

I haven't messed with any JP rails (don't prefer the look) but everyone says they're very solid.

That Sgt of Arms rail looks like a good choice too, especially if you're into Arca-Swiss attachments.

Midwest Industries also makes a rail with a big ID...here's the 18" version: https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/product-p/mi-sp18m-blk.htm

contact rainier arms. i had the same issue a while back on length and clearance for a +2 block, and while all the other shops said they didn't know, or maybe/maybe not, the guy at rainier went back in the shop, mocked one up and gave me a real answer.

I find that a little bit of the gas block sticking out isn't all that bad, especially if it's an adjustable block. Makes it easier to adjust. Look at rhe MK12 and SR25. The whole gas block is exposed on both of those examples.

If you’re having issues with the rail contacting the gas block there are two good solutions: stiffer rail, shorter rail so the gas block is outside of it. I do pin them though.

Over the years I've ran into so many tight or contacting GB/rail combos I've stopped trying to get adjustable GB's under the rail for guns, especially now when so many handguards are built to be lightweight and not super stiff. For me if I can squeeze the end of the handguard holding the barrel and it hits the GB, it's a no go. I simply run a short enough handguard now to just expose the GB. The new White Oak handguard, is specifically designed to stop at the rear of the GB at 12.6 and 14.6", it's super stiff, and the price is 1/2 what others are. The downside is you have to spend another $40 on their tool.

It actually amazes me given all the problems people have since adjustable GB's have come out that companies are not making handguards with the last 1-2" open on the top so you would never have to worry about GB contact, it would have easy adjustments, but you're still protecting it.

Geissele MK18 will cover it, but no way will that size GB in superlative fit, can’t speak to the SLR but I would guess probably not. I tried to run a .750 Superlative with a MK18 and it contacted, I ended up just using the Geissele gas block and it’s been working seemingly fine so I doubt I’ll mess with it.

Heres a pic of a 224V I build with Craddock 22” +2 gas with Superlative .875” GB and Seekins SP3R rail. The back 1/4ish of the GB was inside the handguard and the majority hung out. I liked theway it turned out because there wasn’t exposed gas tube.

That looks great, in a 70’s hot rod kinda way. I used to not be much of a fan of the partially exposed gas block but definitely coming around on it.

Thanks everyone for all the info - very helpful.

Gonna check out the SoA 17.5” It should have plenty of clearance for the .875 gb But the kicker is the built in ARCA, which is what drew me to the G Mk18 in the first place as I recently got an Anvil30. A little concerned about the handguard diameter needed for that BAR barrel nut - a friend had an Aero M4E1 enhanced upper with that setup and its quite rotund compared to my 11” NSR’s. But since the intended application differs for this build from my other AR’s maybe it’ll be a non-issue - we shall see.

I was unaware of SoA until this thread even though my nephew lives right up the street from them in Fort Worth. I couldn’t find a whole lot of info on this handguard other than a few fairly positive postings here on SH. I’ll report back when it’s up & running. Thanks again y’all.

I've been looking at the Precision Reflex forearms for a pseudo-MK12 build. They have extended versions that are 14" long (14.75" actual) and 15" long (15.75" actual) that should juuust cover your block. They're a little heavy by today's standards, and kind of pricey, but rock-solid.

IMG_3250.JPG

15" Aero hand guard on a +2 gas 224 predator