Railroad Strike Imminent

Jefe's Dope

Red Forman
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • Dec 20, 2017
    My buddy who works for the RR said it's gonna happen. But expects congress to force them back.

• Sad
    Reactions: BridgerMT

Hobo Hilton

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 4, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    This situation has been brewing for a long time. Train crews have been stretched thin. When they reach the max number of hours they can work they they are transported off the train and it just sits until the next crew is available.
    The cure is better wages, working conditions, medical benefits and pension........ Not rocket science.
    The Government forcing them to work will not go over well.

Link is from December 09, 2021

Reactions: 338dude

AngryKoala

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Mar 30, 2020
    This situation has been brewing for a long time. Train crews have been stretched thin. When they reach the max number of hours they can work they they are transported off the train and it just sits until the next crew is available.
    The cure is better wages, working conditions, medical benefits and pension........ Not rocket science.

Article states 100k ("tops") in compensation (is that straight salary?). How much should a railworker be paid because that doesn't seem very low?

Last edited:

ggmanning

Bird Dog
    Minuteman
  • Apr 23, 2010
    Rural South
    I don't know a lot of people that make 100K..........you can't live in a city very well at that much but you can certainly do pretty well on 100K a year in rural America. Hell I know a bunch of folks that don't have a combined 100k income and do fine. I don't have enough knowledge to comment on railway wages but in my business I pay what it takes to keep good workers working.....a simple but effective strategy

chevy_man

Old Salt
    Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2019
    I don't know a lot of people that make 100K..........you can't live in a city very well at that much but you can certainly do pretty well on 100K a year in rural America. Hell I know a bunch of folks that don't have a combined 100k income and do fine. I don't have enough knowledge to comment on railway wages but in my business I pay what it takes to keep good workers working.....a simple but effective strategy

I live in the middle of nowhere.

Cost of living here is high, wife and I bring in around 100k. It doesn't go all that far.

Mortgage, taxes, fuel, taxes, cars, taxes...

Kids. I love them but damn are they expensive.

I wouldn't have the ability to take the kids out to experience activities like shooting if I had a large mortgage. I paid less than 200k for my house. One of my coworkers just bought a townhouse for over $500k as it was the cheapest thing he could find. His mortgage is over $30k/year. He's house poor and his wife makes over 100k herself.

Rural Midwest or southern is way different than rural northern or northwestern.
    I know a lot of people that don't make $50k, but they also can't afford to do anything but go to work and eat and sleep. Leaving town is a stressful event to budget fuel even.

AngryKoala

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Mar 30, 2020
    I make half that and have a wife and 3 kids, own my home in a nice neighborhood and 2 decent vehicles. We can’t live like royalty but we do decent and have a savings

I have a wife and two kids and we are fine as well. We also don't live in the city which would be difficult on that salary.

Hobo Hilton

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 4, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I did not "Fact check" link.
    Long ago, when I moved into the work force, people going to work for the city, county and state were drawing a lower wage than those of us going to work in private industry... Again, just a one man survey.
    Today the situation has inverted. So, factor all that in.
    Would a young person rather go to work at a Government job or a railroad job?
    When a railroad job offers more "perks" for the new hire then people will go to work for the railroad and all other jobs in the private / industrial / commercial industries.
    Pay the government workers less, stop the "Free Money" printing presses and put America back to work.
    Got to get past the stolen elections first.

kindabitey

See, nobody cares
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017

I don't think getting retirees to come back to work at any RR isn't going to be as easy as they think. You can go to any rail yard in the country, pick any random person, and they can tell you years/ months/ weeks/ days/ hours until retirement. They can't wait to get out.
    FWIW, I was a Carman with NSRR from '88- '99

Reactions: Hobo Hilton

NoDopes

Old Salt
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Dec 6, 2020
    North Texas
    Personal_Household_Income_U.png

Only 17% of Americans earn over 100K

Don't forget though, a lot of those government jobs have early, cushy pensions for life.

DuneBoer

Apocalypse Now!
    Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2012
    State of Jefferson
    I don't think getting retirees to come back to work at any RR isn't going to be as easy as they think. You can go to any rail yard in the country, pick any random person, and they can tell you years/ months/ weeks/ days/ hours until retirement. They can't wait to get out.
    FWIW, I was a Carman with NSRR from '88- '99
    Sounds like when you talk to cops...Counting the days to retire.

Hobo Hilton

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 4, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Isn't this essentially unskilled labor? Not rocket science at any rate. Is it now based on 'need'?
    It takes skilled people to keep this equipment operating. Just one more industry that is being stifled by Government regulations.

Reactions: Earnhardt

Earnhardt

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jul 8, 2018
    Isn't this essentially unskilled labor? Not rocket science at any rate. Is it now based on 'need'?
    This is a joke, right?
    You do realize it is 2022, correct?
    It is no longer the late 1800's where Chinese immigrants are laying tracks, and driving spikes...

This is all about maintenance and operations....

Have you paid any attention to the multi-million dollar machinery they are operating lately?

Whether it is an engineer or track maintenance...

I'm pretty sure we can do without white collar workers for a while

Rail workers, we can not do without...

And no, I'm not a rail worker. I'm in the construction trades

Earnhardt

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jul 8, 2018
    And you're lecturing others about whether they should have an opinion about what rail workers make or should make?

LOL
    But having several friends who are, gives me a little insight…

JMGlasgow

Old Salt
    Minuteman
  • Apr 13, 2012
    Cheyenne, WY
    I live in Cheyenne, a very large UP railroad hub. It isn't skilled labor to work on a railroad. The machines they use are no more complicated than any other piece of heavy equipment. You also don't have to be a genius to get a CDL and drive the railroad trucks.

346ci

FJB
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Mar 26, 2010
    NC
    We have a busy track near work, watching that crew/machines replace the rr ties was amazing. I'd do that all day long for $100k.

Reactions: 338dude

AngryKoala

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Mar 30, 2020
    We have a busy track near work, watching that crew/machines replace the rr ties was amazing. I'd do that all day long for $100k.

Apparently that is considered chump change. Maybe I should tell my boss I'm striking Monday....lol

• Haha
    Reactions: 346ci

EddieNFL

SMSgt
    Minuteman
    Jan 11, 2006
    Florida
    Who here can pass DOT Physical, HASMAT cert, TWIC background check, Capable of handling oil, explosives, passengers and could be away from home for extended periods?
    Attend a RR orientation and go to work?

Good to go on almost everything. No HASMAT, but I could certify HAZMAT for air. People? I'm out.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton

hkmp5s

Private
    Minuteman
    Aug 11, 2006
    houston
    Good news everybody, the class 1's are hiring. You're going to work about 65 hours a week on call mostly at night and have a Monday and maybe a Thursday off. Weekends you work, kid's birthday guess what, your working. Holidays, what the fuck is a holiday? You have 2 to 3 hours to show up when called to work, no sick leave. They're constantly trying to fire you. All for about$75,000 to $90,000 a year. You'll make good money and get to see someone else raise your kids. Everyone is invited to hire out, come on down.

Bigfatcock

Old Salt
    Minuteman
    Jan 12, 2019
    Good news everybody, the class 1's are hiring. You're going to work about 65 hours a week on call mostly at night and have a Monday and maybe a Thursday off. Weekends you work, kid's birthday guess what, your working. Holidays, what the fuck is a holiday? You have 2 to 3 hours to show up when called to work, no sick leave. They're constantly trying to fire you. All for about$75,000 to $90,000 a year. You'll make good money and get to see someone else raise your kids. Everyone is invited to hire out, come on down.
    Boo hoo hoo. PFC’s do that shit for $25,000 per year. Plus they clean the shitters, get bitched at non stop, and could possibly die.