• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rails in fiberglass stocks

nksmfamjp

Handloader
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Central OH
I’ve been looking at adding an ARCA, mlok or picatinney rail to a fiberglass stock. Most bolt on relying on a t nut or big washer on a bolt to hold onto the stock. They seem to generally cut through the shell, leaving your system holding onto foam/fill. Is this solid? What to the longevity of these installs? My stock is a Bell and Carlson , if it matters.

Well first off, yes they mount directly onto the stock with a set of locking style T-nuts counter sunk into the barrel channel. The fill is actually not foam on a McMillan or Manners, cant speak for the Bell and Carlson, but its an epoxy based glass filler that hardens into a solid component of the stock when its originally done. It becomes integral enough that once its cured they mill the inlets and barrel channels right through it without a problem. I highly doubt the T-nuts or fiberglass fore-end would fail if the arca rail is installed properly. If anything, the bolted on rail will probably add stiffness to the fiberglass fore end. Thats my .02cents unless others want to chime in.

-Reagan

Last edited:
I was thinking of doing a similar thing to my Bell & Carlsons in front of the mag well. I have a couple of Arca plates coming and seeing as they have a full length bedding block you could just drill through the stock and bedding block then tap the block?
I could be wrong though

My bell and Carlson has been wearing an area 419 12 inch universal rail for about 5 months. Works good no flex, no play. Actually stiffened up the fore end. Secured with two additional t nuts. The barrel channel had already been hogged out for a Krieger heavy varmint. I’m not sure exactly what the fill inside the shell is but it looks like a dense foam. I believe the butt is hollow though.
I’ve been meaning to back fill the t nuts. Can’t see it so haven’t really gotten around to it.

F4A6F691-43FA-4C10-912E-F608FE5486F9.jpeg
7B376830-889D-43F4-9962-5C05AB008E47.jpeg

My bell and Carlson has been wearing an area 419 12 inch universal rail for about 5 months. Works good no flex, no play. Actually stiffened up the fore end. Secured with two additional t nuts. The barrel channel had already been hogged out for a Krieger heavy varmint. I’m not sure exactly what the fill inside the shell is but it looks like a dense foam. I believe the butt is hollow though.
I’ve been meaning to back fill the t nuts. Can’t see it so haven’t really gotten around to it.

View attachment 7332025View attachment 7332026
You have details on everything you did drill bit size etc??? I’m about to do this but would like to know how you did yours for reference I’d really appreciate it.

You have details on everything you did drill bit size etc??? I’m about to do this but would like to know how you did yours for reference I’d really appreciate it.

Look at Area419 info page below for a bunch of videos on how to install the rails and also the T Nuts. Very easy.

Reactions: supercorndogs
I’ve also done Henderson rails and Atlus Pic rails on multiple stocks using T-nuts, including a B&C, looked like @High Desert duck’s stock until I filled in the holes with JB Weld, sanded them flush and painted it all.

@TrancendentDynamics The 10-32 T-nuts that are pretty standard run about 0.256” (female thread OD) and 0.730” (large toothed disc OD) in diameter, so a 3/4” Forstner bit and a 1/4” drill bit are perfect. I built a little drill press jig out of some 2x8, bolts/nuts/washers, and some wood anchors I had lying around; the jig locks into the drill press platform with some nuts/bolts and has some rubber pads on the insides of the two 2x8 sections to clamp down on the stock and hold it still and level. Much easier than trying to prop/shim the stock to the right height and level using stacks of books and paper, like I did with my first two stocks. It was really frustrating. Get the stock level and positioned, drill a centered and level 1/4” hole all the way through from the top down, then without moving the stock switch to the Forstner bit and drill part of the way down. You’ll have to measure stuff to figure out how far to go, but you can take the stock out to measure if needed once you get a good start on the Forstner cut, since it’ll tend to re-center once it’s about 1/4” deep or so.

Reactions: High Desert duck
It's not that hard to install T nuts. No special tools needed. When I got into arca I installed multiples in 4 different stocks. A hand drill and a couple bits and it's done in short time. T nuts aren't landing on mars so perfect angles and depths aren't really needed. You can do it close enough by hand and you won't see the difference once the rail is installed. The trick I found was using the 3/4" paddle bit when the tip of the drill bit sticks out the bottom of stock it's deep enough.

I like to use Fostner bits. They work better for flush cup installation. They leave you with a flat hole. Paddle bits work too, and I have never had T nut I used a paddle bit on pull through either.

1619179602756.png

Reactions: fxdrider
I had considered bedding the rail but after mounting it was rock solid without it. I’ve run it hard this way over 18 months and 4000+ rounds. Still super solid with no maintenance.
I am a little bit of a slacker and still have not back filled the t-nuts, despite 2 barrel changes.
I pretty much did what @KnowNothing256 did but I used a drill press and drilled from the bottom first with the 1/8 inch bit to ensure I was centered for the back of the 419 rail holes. His way is definitely more elegant but I have to work within my skill set.

Fill in the 3/4 holes that the t-nuts sit in with epoxy. Just to make the barrel channel uniform.

I thought you might have meant that but it does nothing for performance or use. Just about looks for those rare times someone looks under you barrel LOL I have never even thought about filling those in as it’s a non issue but if you want to then it’s your stock and time.

I thought you might have meant that but it does nothing for performance or use. Just about looks for those rare times someone looks under you barrel LOL I have never even thought about filling those in as it’s a non issue but if you want to then it’s your stock and time.
Lol. that’s kinda why I haven’t. Every time I take the action out of the stock I think “I should make that pretty” and then I put the action back in and go shoot it.

• Haha
Reactions: fxdrider and Rob01