• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rain Gear: Russell vs Sitka

dyoung

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2009
CA
I tried to search for info on the hide and could not find info so I thought I would post what I found out.

I just got some Russell Outdoor Cyclone rain gear (jacket and pants).
The good news:
1. Russell has the inner pockets lined with waterproof material....Sitka is mesh which means if your zipper lets water in or you leave it open you will get wet.
2. The front zipper on the jacket and the long zipper on the pants have a small internal storm flap.
3. Internally seams are taped
4. looks well designed

The bad news:
1. The pocket zippers do not have a storm flap and are not waterproof.
2. The pockets on the pants are in a weird spot...not like a normal pair of pants. (not a deal breaker).

How do I know this?
I opened the zipper on one of the jacket pockets a filled it with water and shut the zipper...made a water balloon. The inner liner seemed to hold the water but had a few minor leaks (slow pinpoint leaks in a few places). The zipper however failed miserably. It leaked big time. When I looked close you can see "gaps" on the top when the zipper is closed....and the "teeth" of the zipper.

OK not a fair test since water will be coming from the outside not from the inside of the pocket..but I can see how water could fill up the pocket in a heavy downpour especially if the zipper is not closed.

So the second test I did on the other pocket. I took a dry paper towel and put it in the pocket and zipped it shut...then ran water over the closed zipper. The paper towel got soaked.

Conclusion: Although it is much better than the Sitka rain gear ...the design is not yet perfect. I will probably keep it and try it in the field. But if my life depends on keeping dry I will bring my rubber stuff (yes you sweat in them).

Has anyone else had similar experience with the Cyclone? Is there something better out there?

Re: Rain Gear: Russell vs Sitka

check put OTTE Gear from NY. Ive got the jacket and pants and theyve served me well all winter, and its been seriously wet here.

Thanks I'll check it out...but does their gear address the weaknesses in the zipper and pocket liner of other jackets?

only pockets are on the sleeves......all zips are totally weather proof, never had the pockets suffer from water ingress.

Arc Teryx. Check out their LEAF (Law Enforcement and Armed Forces) line. Pricey but one of the best there is out there. Snivel gear is one of the places I am willing to pay top dollar. I despise being miserable in the elements.

http://leaf.arcteryx.com/?EN

thanks guys...went to both websites and both do not have waterproof zippers...maybe for the price I should keep the Russell Cyclone and give it a try in the field.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dyoung</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks guys...went to both websites and both do not have waterproof zippers...maybe for the price I should keep the Russell Cyclone and give it a try in the field. </div></div>
Look at the Otte gear - it has the zippers you want......and if you can handle the Cadpat pattern like I can, it's a decent price for the quality you get. Don't get me wrong - the full price is worth the quality as well, but I'm just not that rich. The stuff I have is first rate and works better than anything else I've used so far.

Define better? Are you wanting a flap over the pocket or waterproof zippers? They all leak in the field, some more than others, too many variables when the garment is on the body with movement in bad weather.

I for one will not have coated nylon pockets, I always want mesh for the very reason stated that any water will drain and not pool up but more important I want chimney effect to control the body climate. Old school was to add drain holes in the coated nylon pockets but is not real effective. Mesh in my opinion and usage is the better pocket design. For weight and better fit WP type zippers.

Good luck

Ive also got the CADPAT OTTE Gear, colours great for me, and its cheap on the site as there clearing out CADPAT, good value.

The zips ARE waterproof type. Good gear and a great service from OTTE.

I went to the OTTE site and it says " All zippers YKK water resistant". No better than the Russell

I tend to agree with 45.308...they all leak in the field after a while...the only thing that seemed to work on a long hunt in Alaska during rain is Helly Hansen...thats what the guides were wearing....yes you sweat if you are hiking hard. But I sweat in Goretex too.

I do have a wading jacket by Simms with a true waterproof zipper like on a dry suit! But not ideal for hunting.