• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rain Gear suggestions?

johnnycat

Average on my best day
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2011
U.S.A.
What would be the best warm weather rain gear?

I need something to keep me dry - but it needs to be lightweight and breathable. I need warm-weather suggestions - something for the Southeast in the summer.

Thanks in advance...

eVent > Gore, look for eVent based gear if breathability is important (as it should be... ;)).

Frogg Toggs are very popular here in FL. Not sure about their durability since I don't have any of my own. I know lots of people use therm for motorcycle riding and fishing though.

... - something for the Southeast in the summer...

I tried the hype and have found nothing truly waterproof that breathes. None of the fair-performing rain gear have performed long enough to be worth the expenditure. All too soon they're expensive windbreakers and poor ones at that.

I'm experimenting with spray bottle 303 on some garments.

The only rain set I still use is an older set of HH Impertech. At least it's a bit quieter, non-glossy, back vented and a camo solid color vs. most silicone/PU gear. Tho the stupid front pockets will hold water and leak. If it's cold out I'll beeak out the HH maritime or Rivers West.

I don't like the visual signature of the LEAF jackets, nor the price, so the search continues...

I have a ECWCS Gen 3 gore-tex jacket and it's great. Super light, breathable, waterproof with good chest vents and cheap to boot!

So are trailer homes ;)

I am kidding, but I think their best breathability in their $160 jacket is only 10,000 MVTR. the cheap stiff $29 a set they are to forget about. As someone who trail runs, you can get sweat out most rain gear and get weter from the inside than you often can from a downpour.

Cheap DWR etc. runs about 10,000 MTVR in both water resistance and breathability. Of course there is a bit more to consider such as pit zips, design, weight and size if it is primarily packed.

KUIU Ultra NX and 2x the breathability rating of 40,000g/m2/24hr MVTR the same 20,000g/m2/24hr water resistance as GoreTex or Event in similar products. The NX is only 8.9 oz, packs tiny and the pants are similar. The NX sits in my pack, but if I know I am traveling in rougher terrain and wearing rain gear is going to be a necessity, then I switch to the Yukon. [video]http://www.kuiu.com/hunting-rain-gear/[/video]

That said I also have Event and Gore products. Of jackets Zpack Event is one of the nicest designs for packing/backpacking the newest generation of material 60,000 g/m^2/24hr vapor transfer per the test method Joe used. [video]http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml[/video]

I love my kuiu chugach rain gear. I bought a solid set to wear at work whenever it rains as well.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

I'll second this second, if what you want is a jacket to last you forever. LEAF Alpha or Alpha LT is a solid tactical rain jacket choice. I prefer the fit and weight of the LT, but if you want the bicep pockets you only have one choice.

The non-LEAF Alpha stuff is pretty different though. If going for the civilian line stuff, I'd pick the Beta line. Alpha line is more climbing based and I dislike the pocket layout for more traditional use.

No waterproof breathable is truly breathable so if you're going to go with a membrane jacket, make sure it has pitzips. If you're looking for something to wear during brief or intermittent periods of rain then I'd consider looking at a windshell with a good DWR coating. Won't be waterproof, but it should take a while to wet out and will dry quickly.

Well...I went with the Arc'teryx LEAF even though it was a boatload of money. However, it kept me dry in torrential rain the weekend so I consider it money well spent. I hope it lasts a little while now!

Honestly, i really like cabelas brand rain gear. They dont break the bank, and you can even opt for goretex if you want to spend the money. I have no complaints for mine, and even wear it as a light jacket on those days that are too hot for a hoodie, but cool enough for something more than a tshirt. Hope this helps.

Have you heard of BEYOND Apparel? A few years ago, I volunteered to test their 7 layer system. In short, it was as very, very badass. It's expensive but works incredibly well. It'll keep you warm & dry. It also wears well. It's durable as well as comfortable. I wore this gear (layers 2,3,5, & 6) down to -25* F w/ no issues.

The only downside is cost. This stuff rocks! Good luck.

Arcteryx leaf. I know it's expensive. Starts with one item then after wearing it u realize what u have been missing out on. U see guys at matches miserable in the cold wet rain and ur dry, warm and happy.

Getting ready for a match this weekend, knowing that it'll be rainy all day. What's that one piece of equipment not to forget(rain gear excluded)?

Getting ready for a match this weekend, knowing that it'll be rainy all day. What's that one piece of equipment not to forget(rain gear excluded)?

Some kind of cover for you scope and action. I like the one from Triad. Might be late for this weekend. It helps if its raining all day and you are waiting for a stage or otherwise not on the rifle.

I would also suggest the gen 3 ecwcs gortex rain gear. It's high quality, packable, cheap, and last but not least tactical as fuuuuk multicam. I come across it fairly often on boards you can pick it up for a fraction of the price of all the tacticool brands. Ar15.com has a section dedicated to mil-spec clothing. I paid like 30 bucks a piece for my top and bottom. Initially when I bought rain gear for matches I picked up frog toggs, huge mistake. It might have lasted one stage.

As far as running optics in the rain, I would just make sure you have some solid scope caps. Personally I like tenebraex. I always thought it was kinda pointless running a condom your taking off every stage, your optic gets wet anyways. If you want to cover your glass and your not in a hurricane, I always have a few shemagh's in my pack. You can wrap your optic so you can just keep it on, when you go to shoot just manipulate the fabric to expose the turrets.

Or just run your equipment like it was designed and make sure to treat it after the match...

Last edited:
I use military gore tex (ECWCS Gen 3??) rain gear, can be had in surplus stores fairly inexpensive compared to other stuff. It has held up through many rides on my quad & hasn't ripped while blazing trails through the woods.

As expensive as it is sometimes you do get what you pay for and I'd go with Arc'Teryx. Either the Alpha LT Leaf or the regular Alpha or Beta LT depending on the length you want and pocket positions on the jacket.