• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rainier Arms Ultramatch 16" vs Wilson Combat Recon?

_Will_

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2022
WA
Looking at both offerings for my 16" Recon build. Both barrels I'm looking are the 16" fluted match version as I'd like to cut down on weight. All things considered both of these barrels profiles look identical, along with the quality. The exception being WC is chambered in 556 vs the RA Ultramatch in 223 Wydle and weighs 4 oz less than the WC. If you were in the market which would you choose? My goal is a barrel that isn't going to be a heavy profile like a varmint or bull barrel, but can offer similar accuracy while being mobile while weighing less. I plan on using handloads for these barrels.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/BARREL...S-GLASS-BEAD-1-8/productinfo/TR-556RCIG16FT8/

vs

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-ultramatch-mod2-223-wylde-int-barrel-16/

...both of these barrels profiles look identical...
From the pictures the RA seems to be less tapered between the barrel nut and the gas port. That probably makes the weight difference. Note the difference in twist rate RA- 1:7.5, WC- 1:8 - take what you want from it. As for the accuracy or QC I have no idea, I am happy with my RA ultra.

I do agree, fuck their willingness to cooperate, accidental archive fire was in order.

Reactions: _Will_
From the pictures the RA seems to be less tapered between the barrel nut and the gas port. That probably makes the weight difference. Note the difference in twist rate RA- 1:7.5, WC- 1:8 - take what you want from it. As for the accuracy or QC I have no idea, I am happy with my RA ultra.

I do agree, fuck their willingness to cooperate, accidental archive fire was in order.

How does your RA Ultramatch handle heat being a tad bit lighter profile? Any noticeable degradation if you used it for a course of fire?

I see no heat drift over the course of 60 rounds shoot in roughly an hour. Shooting 200 yards with factory ammo since I do not reload yet. The below is 62gr Frontier, shot towards the end of the session. Leaving two fliers aside this would be fantastic.

Edit: I have an older 18", solid, not fluted.

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-03-25 17_43_36.688510.jpg

I have a Wilson 16" fluted recon and I am very happy with it. Accuracy is very good and it is gassed well. And the intermediate gas length is a nice bonus.

How does the barrel feel weight wise?
It feels good, balances well and pretty light. I have a light, bipod, suppressor and lpvo hanging on it now so it's not really light anymore but before it was pretty nimble

It feels good, balances well and pretty light. I have a light, bipod, suppressor and lpvo hanging on it now so it's not really light anymore but before it was pretty nimble
Curious about the gas tube length, as I was looking at a Wilson carbine. Does the longer gas tube help dampen the shot or smooth out the recoil?

Curious about the gas tube length, as I was looking at a Wilson carbine. Does the longer gas tube help dampen the shot or smooth out the recoil?
Short answer yes. There are other factors that go into it as well, but I feel it is noticeable compared to my midlength guns. Definitely the softest shooting carbine I have. For a 16" barrel it would be my preferred gas length.

Reactions: 748rpilot
lol no

nothing more ignorant than people actually believing the gas system from carbine to midlength provides softer shooter. Crane proved as much as it's so miniscule that it's barely registrable. Your buffer and spring will have far more impact on your felt recoil

JHC this board is more and more like arfcom

nothing more ignorant than people actually believing the gas system from carbine to midlength provides softer shooter
So you've not personally tested it? I have, many times. Carbine to mid gas keeping all other components the same is a night and day difference. Measurable too if you care to take slow motion video in front of a grid or some other testing procedure.
I don't know or care what Crane came up with, this has been done and objectively proven to make a difference.

Pressure at the gas port of different length gas system:

pressure-time.gif

Some gas tube lengths for reference::

Carbine 9-3/4"
Mid-Length 11-3/4"
Knight's Armament SR-15 Mod 1. Mid-Length 13"
Geissele Mid-Length+ ~13" (factory rifle or complete upper only)
Wilson Combat Match Grade Intermediate 13 1/4"
Intermediate 13-5/8" (AKA Noveske legacy)
Rifle 15-1/8"

times 1 million
add Troy, DD, and now KAC to that list! fk all these pos companies

Wilson is good, CA is great of course the Bartlein, Lothar

I'd go medium 16" CA
What did kac do? Fyi: my limited experience with rainier arms was horrible, but the person i spoke to about it seemed genuinely upset that it happened. I wont likely do business with them again though.

The Recon is Such an awesome rifle. I LOVE my Recon SR Tactical with Whisper can. Now I need to get one in .308.