• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rainier Ultramatch MOD2 Barrel Testing - 6.5cm, 224V, 223 Wylde, 300 BLK

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania
    I know a lot of you have seen my various posts showing how accurate my Rainier Ultramatch 223 Wylde and 300 BLK (Shilen) barrels are. I've received requests from a bunch of the members asking me to test Rainier's new Ultramatch MOD2 barrels. Well wait no longer, Rainier went above and beyond and sent me 4 Ultramatch barrels in all the calibers I have been asked to test, Superlative Arms AGB gas blocks for all the barrels, gas tubes, and their new Nitrided 308 High Pressure BCG!!

I am really looking forward to testing these barrels to see how they compare to the original Ultramatch's. Rainier's Ultramatch MOD2 barrels are using high quality blanks and all the gunsmith work is top notch.

I have 1 product to review before I start testing these which I hope to be next week. With what feels like 6 months of straight rain here in the northeast, things have gotten a little backed up. I will be starting with the 224 Valkyrie first and have 250pcs of new Starline brass, Hornady 88 ELD-M and 75 ELD-M and 80 Amax that I will be using for the testing. I dont have any 90gr stuff but might pick some up and test later down the line since I cant test every bullet out there.

Here's some teaser pics. Stay tuned....

HUGE THANK YOU to Mike @RainierArms @Chicane556 for sending all this stuff over!!

Rainier 308 High Pressure BCG

Rainier Ultramatch MOD2 10.5" 300 BLK 1:7.5

Rainier Ultramatch MOD2 22" 1:7.5 224V

Rainier Ultramatch MOD2 20" 1:7.5 223 WYLDE

Rainier Ultramatch MOD2 22" 1:8 6.5 CM

Last edited:
    Velly, velly nice.

Do you know who's barrel they are using now? I had heard that it was Rock Creek button, but have not seen that positively confirmed yet.

Thanks.

MM

Great company, I have one of their 300 Blackout Match barrels and it shoots better than me.

I own Two 16in Intermediate 223 MOD2 barrels and 22in 6.5CM +2 Rifle barrel.

AMAZING!

16inch is 1/4 MOA at 200 yards with 75gr HPBT Hornady and XBR and 22in 6.5CM just as accurate if I do my job behind the rifle.

Absolute Tack Drivers!

20180826_004139_1.jpg~original

20180827_105652_1.jpg~original

Man that MOD2 20” 223 Wylde is exactly what I need for my build. I was looking for a rock Creek Barrel and had spoken with them but they do not make a 18”-20” barrel just 16” and referred me to Seekins Precision, but that barrel you posted looks amazing. Tagged for accuracy report.

Reactions: Chicane556
    Bout time @padom - BTW did you ever atleast get any 100% confirmation one way or the other whether they're button or cut rifled?
    Also, advantages to TiN barrel extensions? I mean it definitely looks cool... been seeing a lot of TiN coated stuff lately, seems the hot new thing for tricked out Glocks especially. Certainly it doesn't provide the type of benefits that melonite does..???

Bout time @padom - BTW did you ever atleast get any 100% confirmation one way or the other whether they're button or cut rifled?
    Also, advantages to TiN barrel extensions? I mean it definitely looks cool... been seeing a lot of TiN coated stuff lately, seems the hot new thing for tricked out Glocks especially. Certainly it doesn't provide the type of benefits that melonite does..???

High quality button

The advantage, IDK this is my first time testing a TiN extension. It actually has better benefits than nitride. 3x harder than Hard chrome, harder than carbide, excellent lubricity, high temp tolerant,

Are you going to run factory loads as well as handloads for each barrel. I am sure you will be in depth- I am just curious how each will perform with a variety of ammo. I have some rifles that are finiky then shoot 1/2" groups with one load. Then others shoot anything in less than an 1" even cheap ass 55 gr. Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this- we will all appreciate it for sure!

Are you going to run factory loads as well as handloads for each barrel. I am sure you will be in depth- I am just curious how each will perform with a variety of ammo. I have some rifles that are finiky then shoot 1/2" groups with one load. Then others shoot anything in less than an 1" even cheap ass 55 gr. Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this- we will all appreciate it for sure!

I have a pretty extensive database of bullet/powder combos that work in all the calibers/barrels I've tested so that's where I start with load development when testing barrels. Example, Ill do OCW with 77smk and 73 ELD between 23 and 24g 8208 in .2 increments. I'll then do a seating depth test. I always find a node between 23.4-23.6 and a seating depth that shoots clover leafs in all the good 223 AR barrels I've tested. The few that didnt, never shot any bullet/powder good. The exception will be 224V since this is my first Valkyrie barrel and have zero data. I decided that will be the last barrel I test since it will take the longest to find the right bullet/powder combos for ultimate accuracy.

When a barrel wont shoot any of the bullet/powder combos I know shoot lights out in all the other barrels I've tested for a given caliber after doing OCW and seating depth tests I start to look at the barrel.

I don't shoot factory ammo. When I test barrels I am finding its accuracy potential, not how accurate a given ammo shoots. If someone wants to send me factory ammo I have no problems throwing it into the test but I wont be buying factory ammo to test.

Last edited:
    The exception will be 224V since this is my first Valkyrie barrel and have zero data. I decided that will be the last barrel I test since it will take the longest to find the right bullet/powder combos for ultimate accuracy.

I will be very interested in the results with this barrel. It seems like it has an odd twist for this cartridge.

I have zero experience with Valkyrie but I see 6.5-7 twist is what most are using so I'm very interested in how this barrel does.

Me as well. I bought a BA 7 twist before doing much research only to find out people were switching to 6.5 twist. Wondering about this 7.5.....

You're full of SHIT!!!

.71 5 shot group at 200 yards. Bipod and Rear bag. Repeatable when I do my job. .... well I guess little more than 1/4 inch.

Try it yourself. This barrel is real deal and it shoots! Here is what worked for me in both RA Barrels.

----
    LC16 Brass is Trimmed, Chamfered and De burred to 1.750. Neck tension set at .0027 for Hornady 75gr HPBT. No Crimp

23.3gr of XBR 8203 under Hornady 75gr HPBT w/c going at 2571fps with SD of 8fps (23.2-23.4 was showing very nice groups)

Primer is Rem 7 1/2 seated at 0.004 below flush.
    ----

both of my 3gun rifles setup with RA MOD2 Ultramatch 16in Intermediate Gas, Superlative Block, JP LMOS and SCS with Hipertouch 24c.

I absolutely love XBR 8203 powder. I also found a node for under 1/2 moa with Hornady 55gr FMJ too. (.8-.9 at 200yds)

I’m out of the loop, beyond the TiN coating on the barrel extension how are these different from the original Rainier Ultramatch barrels?

I wish they had SPR contours so I could use one on my MK12 build. I may just go with one on the 300 BO I was doing after- depending on how it fairs.

All four barrels are installed on their test guns and ready to go. Specs are as follows:

10.5" Rainier Ultramatch 300blk

BCM MOD4 Thermofit Upper Receiver
    AeroPrecision SBR Gen2 Lower Receiver
    Toolcraft Nitrided BCG
    BCM Large Latch Charging Handle
    ALG 8" Keymod Handguard
    Rainier Arms/Superlative Arms .800: Adjustable Gas Block
    Pistol Length Gas Tube
    Rugged 3 Port 5/8-24 QD Brake
    BAD Ambi Safety
    Geissele SD3G Trigger
    Spikes Heavy Buffer
    JP Buffer Spring
    Magpul CTR Stock
    Hogue Grip

20" Rainier Ultramatch 223 Wydle

MEGA SBU Billet Heavy Upper Receiver
    MEGA Billet Ambi Lower Receiver
    Rubber City Nitrided BCG
    Strike Industries Large Latch Charging Handle
    YHM TJ Competition Series 15" Handguard
    Rainier Arms/Superlative Arms .800" Adjustable Gas Block
    Rifle Length Gas Tube
    Rugged 2 Port 1/2-28 QD Brake
    BAD Ambi Safety
    Geissele SD-E Trigger
    ERGO Tactical Deluxe Grip
    JP SCS Gen2
    Magpul PRS Gen2

22" Rainier Ultramatch 224 Valkyrie

MEGA Billet Nickel Boron Upper Receiver
    MEGA Billet Ambi Nickel Boron Lower Receiver
    Toolcraft Nitrided Bolt Carrier
    JP Chromium Nitride 224V Bolt
    Seekins SP3R V3 MLOK 15" Handguard
    Superlative Arms .875" Adjustable Gas Block
    +2 Length Gas Tube
    BAD Ambi Safety
    Geissele SD-E Trigger
    JP SCS Gen2
    Magpul PRS Gen3

22" Rainier Ultramatch 6.5 Creedmoor

MEGA Billet Upper Receiver
    MEGA Billet Ambi Lower Receiver
    Rainier Arms High Pressure 308 BCG
    JP 17.25" MK III Free Float Modular DPMS/LR308 Handguard
    Superlative Arms .875" Adjustable Gas Block
    +2 Length Gas Tube
    BAD Ambi Safety
    Geissele SD-E Trigger
    JP SCS Heavy Gen2
    Magpul PRS Gen3

I got to the range today to review another product and brought the Ultramatch 223 Wylde with me since I have some test rounds loaded up already for my 20" Kreiger. Just wanted to get 50rds or so through it before starting load development. I was very pleased with how it shot with the 77smk loads, especially with no load development. The 77smk loads shot in the .5's @ 100yds 5 shot groups. The 77cc loads shot submoa. This barrel looks like its going to be a shooter. Looking forward to testing further. The 77cc loads are run on my Dillon XL650 in bulk with XBR and 3xLC for 2 and 3 gun matches.

Shot with a Athlon Argos BTR 6-24 FFP MIL today just to get some rounds down the barrel. When I actually start testing it will be done with a Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 FFP MIL that I just received today.

Last edited:
    @padom you are welcome. Good or bad cant wait to see your final thoughts.

I know a lot of you have seen my various posts showing how accurate my Rainier Ultramatch 223 Wylde and 300 BLK (Shilen) barrels are. I've received requests from a bunch of the members asking me to test Rainier's new Ultramatch MOD2 barrels. Well wait no longer, Rainier went above and beyond and sent me 4 Ultramatch barrels in all the calibers I have been asked to test, Superlative Arms AGB gas blocks for all the barrels, gas tubes, and their new Nitrided 308 High Pressure BCG!!

I am really looking forward to testing these barrels to see how they compare to the original Ultramatch's. Rainier's Ultramatch MOD2 barrels are using high quality blanks and all the gunsmith work is top notch.

I have 1 product to review before I start testing these which I hope to be next week. With what feels like 6 months of straight rain here in the northeast, things have gotten a little backed up. I will be starting with the 224 Valkyrie first and have 250pcs of new Starline brass, Hornady 88 ELD-M and 75 ELD-M and 80 Amax that I will be using for the testing. I dont have any 90gr stuff but might pick some up and test later down the line since I cant test every bullet out there.

Here's some teaser pics. Stay tuned....

HUGE THANK YOU to Mike @RainierArms @Chicane556 for sending all this stuff over!!

Rainier 308 High Pressure BCG

Rainier Ultramatch MOD2 10.5" 300 BLK 1:7.5

Rainier Ultramatch MOD2 22" 1:7.5 224V

Rainier Ultramatch MOD2 20" 1:7.5 223 WYLDE

Rainier Ultramatch MOD2 22" 1:8 6.5 CM

Reactions: padom
    I’m out of the loop, beyond the TiN coating on the barrel extension how are these different from the original Rainier Ultramatch barrels?

They are no longer using Shilen blanks, but they won’t publicly disclose whose blanks they are using now.

Crap, just got a 6.5CM ultramatch +2 for my DPMS gen2. It does not have the TiN barrel extension. Was hoping for a shilen.
    Waiting on a scope so it will be a bit before I do a ladder test.

Crap, just got a 6.5CM ultramatch +2 for my DPMS gen2. It does not have the TiN barrel extension. Was hoping for a shilen.
    Waiting on a scope so it will be a bit before I do a ladder test.

You wont be disappointed with the blanks they are using on their Ultramatch's now!

You got an Ultramatch recently without a TiN extension? Sure it's not a Match? Their Ultramatch Mod2 with TiN extensions have been out for at least a year or more. Shilen Ultramatch's have been gone that long as well.

I just looked at my receipt and it said ultramatch. It is for a DPMS Gen 2 so I wonder if there is not a big demand for them

So I went sniffing around on rainier’s websight and the DPMS Gen 2 UM+2 on the sight looks just like what I got.
    I did look at a new .223 wylde UM mod2 and that has TiN extension.
    Idk, must be left overs. I am going to need a new barrel, I should pick this .223 wylde UM mod2 up also.

@Shadow knows you did get a new ultramatch. The Gen 2 Dpms barrels have a Nickel boron extension. We are phasing them out due to lack of interest and other things. They are great shooters but a certain outdoor group makes it hard to support their platforms.

I just looked at my receipt and it said ultramatch. It is for a DPMS Gen 2 so I wonder if there is not a big demand for them

@Shadow knows you did get a new ultramatch. The Gen 2 Dpms barrels have a Nickel boron extension. We are phasing them out due to lack of interest and other things. They are great shooters but a certain outdoor group makes it hard to support their platforms.
    Thanks for the intel. Yes that group is a PITA, I have however called their tech support and they were very helpful in getting me part numbers to build another upper for this barrel.
    Honestly I was never impressed with the rifle in 308 and am trying to get this thing a new life with this new barrel. I regret buying it 3 years ago but selling an AR is pointless right now IMHO.

Tag for the reviews. Great stuff! I've got a UM Mod2 224V 1-7.5T 26" that has performed great with 69SMK, 69TMK, 75BTHP, 80 Berger's and 88ELD.

I don't think it will have any stability issues with 88 ELD at higher velocities. However the 90SMK was okay but not great. Hovered around 1 MOA from 100-400 yards.

Super excited to see the 6.5CM review also.

High quality button

The advantage, IDK this is my first time testing a TiN extension. It actually has better benefits than nitride. 3x harder than Hard chrome, harder than carbide, excellent lubricity, high temp tolerant,
    Any clue who does the chambering/machine work on em? Super good value for the price, going off how their previous Shilen versions shot!
    The TiN coating sounds like some interesting stuff...anyone know if we'll eventually see it applied to total barrels like nitride?

Won't name names but our barrel guy has been doing them almost since day one.

We have done some all TiN barrels and they shoot well. The issue we find with any coating is that the barrels never settles in and shoot their best.

Any clue who does the chambering/machine work on em? Super good value for the price, going off how their previous Shilen versions shot!
    The TiN coating sounds like some interesting stuff...anyone know if we'll eventually see it applied to total barrels like nitride?

Reactions: deersniper
    So Rainier Arms wants to offer the Snipers Hide community 10% off the Rainier Arms website. Please enter coupon code "sh10" to get 10% off your order.

Big thank you to the guys at Rainier Arms for sending this over.
    Hmm..
    No bueno.

So I was able to get out and start testing the first barrel this week. I was very happy with the initial results.

20" Rainier Ultramatch .223 Wylde - Rifle Gas

77smk never disappoint. This barrel loves them. I also tested Hornady's 73 ELD-M as well which shot good. Both of these bullets shot great in my previous 20" Rainier Ultramatch (Shilen) barrel so its nice to see they shoot just as good in this new MOD2 barrel. All shooting was done at 100yds over the LabRadar with the new Athlon Ares ETR.

Next up I will do a seating depth test with loads selected from each target.