• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Raising the comb on a Tacticool? - Pics are up

TimK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2010
Woodland Park, CO
www.timkulincabinetry.com
I just got my Tacticool, and I think I'm going to need a little more height on the comb to get my eye in position behind the scope. The adjustable buttplate thread got me wondering if anyone has done something similar for height. Or, maybe you've done something simpler?

Re: Raising the comb on a Tacticool?

From another thread -
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scarrow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys,

A few guys have been sending me PMs about the adjustable cheek piece. If I had known you'd be interested I would have made a little DIY with pics and instructions.
I did it mostly as practice for my .308 stock, figuring if I messed up, the .22 would be the rifle I would miss the least until I got a new stock.

Anyway..

Googling I found a great write up with a lot of pics on how to do it the easy way. I could not make a better DIY,
so I'll share the link with you guys here.

I pretty much followed his recipe, only I used a cheap little band saw.

A little caveat though: You wont be able to take bolt out with the comb raised on a BV stock. You have to take the piece out.

PM me if you have any questions I can help with.

Cheers
</div></div>

I put one of these on my Tacticool and it is a good fit out of the box -put some 100 grit sandpaper over the comb and work it over a coulpe of dozen times and its near perfect.

Can't go wrong at less than $10 - perfect for a $100 stock.
ATI Universal Cheek Piece

UNI-CK_UCR1900-B.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-SKIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put one of these on my Tacticool and it is a good fit out of the box -put some 100 grit sandpaper over the comb and work it over a coulpe of dozen times and its near perfect.

Can't go wrong at less than $10 - perfect for a $100 stock.
ATI Universal Cheek Piece

UNI-CK_UCR1900-B.jpg
</div></div>

Neat find

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">outstanding article. Anyone got a pic of their tacticool with it done? </div></div>

Ask this question again on Monday...

Still putting everyhthing together - needs bedding, recoil pad extended and Alumahyde paint - I'll post pics when its "done"... again, its not perfect but it cost $10!

001.jpg

006-1.jpg

002.jpg

it actually looks like it belongs too for only $10.00!

i imagine a few spacers (washers, pvc pipe sections, etc.) underneath would add some "adjustability" to get it just right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i imagine a few spacers (washers, pvc pipe sections, etc.) underneath would add some "adjustability" to get it just right.
</div></div>
Sanding it down to match the contour of the stock made it perfect for that scope, which is quite high as it is...

I just finished the mods described in the link up top. Took me about 2 hours. I own a well equipped cabinet shop, but we don't have a scroll saw so I used a coping saw. Tough to get a clean cut. It's not near as clean as the ones in the link, but it's not an eyesore and it's extremely functional.

As soon as the paint is dry and I put the rifle back together, I'll post up some pics of the finished product.

Looks like it turned out very nice.

Great work on it.
JMC

Well, it's official, I now MUST do this as it turned out well for you
grin.gif

Great work, full functionality report soon I hope
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finished product. The set screws are too long, but I'll fix that tomorrow.

CIMG3655.jpg

CIMG3654.jpg
</div></div>

hahahaha....did she not like your stock work ? looks good to me.

Nice work phideax. I planned to do a similar upgrade to my tacticool. What size nut inserts did you use? Where did you get them? Did you compress and glue them in or only glue them? Did you drill through the top of the stock prior to cutting the guide holes? If not how did you line up the rods and guide holes and still have an intimate fit of top and bottom? Sorry about all the questions. Some of the answers were not apparent on the tutorial link.

Nice work there. I'm using a Triad stock bag with some extra foam under it. It works very well but not as slick as that setup.

I will say I really do like the bag with the zipper pouch, it makes a great place to store extra mags.

BTW, I added a 1/2 inch LOP spacer to mine and the fit is much better for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrapperJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice work phideax. I planned to do a similar upgrade to my tacticool. What size nut inserts did you use? Where did you get them? Did you compress and glue them in or only glue them? Did you drill through the top of the stock prior to cutting the guide holes? If not how did you line up the rods and guide holes and still have an intimate fit of top and bottom? Sorry about all the questions. Some of the answers were not apparent on the tutorial link. </div></div>

I used 1/4-20 inserts. They have coarse outside threads and simply screwed into the stock. They were in the screw isle at the local hardware store. No glue.

I drilled the holes in the cheek piece first, then used dowel transfer points to mark the appropriate locations on the stock. If you don't have those, you could make some by buying some short bolts of the same size and pitch and cutting them so they just clear the cheekpiece, then grinding points on them to transfer the location.

I have been trying to talk my buddy into letting me do this to his for awhile now. thanks for the post maybe now I can show him what I had in mind
smile.gif

Thanks Tim K. The "transfer points" were my stumbling block. How simple. I'll look for the screw in nutserts. Are they the ones used for furniture?