• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ram 2500 vs F250

That truck is 20+ years old???

Great shape. You got a bargain at any price.
Yes sir. Little fading from the sun but all in all a cream puff. No DEF either!!!!!!!

I have a 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Mega. Tows well for a gasser. I wanted the diesel, but the wife wanted the Laramie. Unfortunately it's had a few recalls, the door pull handles are coming loose on both front doors, and the back up camera works less than a liberal. Probably will be my last Ram..

I have a 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Mega. Tows well for a gasser. I wanted the diesel, but the wife wanted the Laramie. Unfortunately it's had a few recalls, the door pull handles are coming loose on both front doors, and the back up camera works less than a liberal. Probably will be my last Ram..

Are those issues only with the 2017 models?

I'm not sure to be honest. It's minor things but when you spend 70k on a truck this shouldn't happen.
I've got a 2015 Laramie and agree. If it's the interior door handles, pull the door panel off (screws around the perimeter, under the handle, and some clips at the bottom). The plastic welding where the posts meet the rest of the frame is broken and you can use some screws w/ washers into the plastic posts to secure them to the rest of the panel's frame. Takes 30-45min? Longest part was finding screws to use in the loose screw bucket. I repaired my driver side about 6mo ago and it's solid but agree 100% with it shouldn't had to have been done. I need to fix the passenger side now.

Reactions: Beefsupreme18B
Are those issues only with the 2017 models?
I have a 2017 Ram 3500 SrW CTD Laramie and have had none of those issues and about to hit 100k miles. I pull a gooseneck trailer often, run the highway often with it too. Knock on wood.

Had a taillight give out around 25k under warranty. Fixed it and a fuse issue at the dealership. I change oil and fuel filters every 10,000 miles.

My brother in law was a master dodge mechanic and current master toyota. He owns a chevy 2500 diesel and tells everyone it's the only diesel to own. I have 2 buddies with Dodge 2500 and a 3500 diesel and both had transmission failures around 150k miles and cost 6k to 8k to repair....

My brother in law was a master dodge mechanic and current master toyota. He owns a chevy 2500 diesel and tells everyone it's the only diesel to own. I have 2 buddies with Dodge 2500 and a 3500 diesel and both had transmission failures around 150k miles and cost 6k to 8k to repair....
Is the only way to service injectors on the Chevys still to pull the cab off? 2000s duramax I thought that was the deal

The Cummins 6.7 has an inline design making it much easier to service. You can pull the valve cover, get to both sides of the block, etc.
I did a repower using their 5.9 24v common rail. Much later on, when I go a bad load of fuel (algae) it was easy to find and replace the bad injector. You could do it on your lunch hour. I would not want to think about that procedure on a V-8 diesel design.

027B6081-8EDC-425F-B529-95E84EF6F50A.jpeg

At 62k miles it needed a $12,000 fuel system at 73k miles it needed a $13,000 long block... Ford didn’t cover not one cent. People say rams downfall is the transmission... I could buy 4 built transmissions and have money left over.
I love the sound and power of the truck but I honestly don’t know if I’d buy another diesel.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Our old crew vehicle was a ram 1500, brand new, put maybe 300mi on it a year, it felt like a hooptie, the whole headliner would flap a little at freeway speeds with the windows down, you could not back it up with the door open (safetyz), the knob shifter was poorly thought out, the controls felt cheap, bit more undesteer than I’d like, honestly it felt like something that was made for the third world domestic market.

Not sure if it’s diesel big brothers are the same, but what cheap new truck

Unless you’re towing/hauling a ton I’d just get a gas Toyota, or maybe a raptor, it will last longer and is built like they actually give a fuck

Our old crew vehicle was a ram 1500, brand new, put maybe 300mi on it a year, it felt like a hooptie, the whole headliner would flap a little at freeway speeds with the windows down, you could not back it up with the door open (safetyz), the knob shifter was poorly thought out, the controls felt cheap, bit more undesteer than I’d like, honestly it felt like something that was made for the third world domestic market.

Not sure if it’s diesel big brothers are the same, but what cheap new truck

Unless you’re towing/hauling a ton I’d just get a gas Toyota, or maybe a raptor, it will last longer and is built like they actually give a fuck
If towing a 14-16k combo doesn’t warrant a diesel or atleast a 250-350 idk what does lol
Toyota’s and raptors have a laughable tow capacity, if you’re doing any type of work or towing it’s gotta be a 3/4 ton or bigger gas or diesel truck. I wouldn’t tow 7k with either of those trucks.

Reactions: Charger442
If towing a 14-16k combo doesn’t warrant a diesel or atleast a 250-350 idk what does lol
Toyota’s and raptors have a laughable tow capacity, if you’re doing any type of work or towing it’s gotta be a 3/4 ton or bigger gas or diesel truck. I wouldn’t tow 7k with either of those trucks.

That’s what I said, if you’re not hauling a lot of weight, modern diesels are not a good buy, but if you need one you need one

I have a GMC 1/2 ton 3.0 Diesel on order. So I guess we will see how big of a mistake I made.

View attachment 7591056
At 62k miles it needed a $12,000 fuel system at 73k miles it needed a $13,000 long block... Ford didn’t cover not one cent. People say rams downfall is the transmission... I could buy 4 built transmissions and have money left over.
I love the sound and power of the truck but I honestly don’t know if I’d buy another diesel.
Not sure what year your truck was but I bought my 11 powerstroke at the end of 13 with about 40k on it and purchased thru Ford a 200k engine warranty which you could get on any diesel I was told as long as it was under 100k, I believe it was $3500 at the time and at 170k it dropped a valve and I lost the motor. Ford replaced the entire engine at no cost to me at all they said it would’ve been about 20k to replace. That motor now has almost 330k as the truck is at 498k.

Reactions: c1steve
I have always, always been a Ford guy. 2.5 years ago I purchased a Ram 2500 diesel, and am extremely satisfied. I did a lot of research. Ram has improved the transmissions and they should not be a problem. If it is, they can be rebuilt at a specialty shop where the transmission will be super strong.
The engine is great, and easy to service. I use less than 5 gallons of DEF a year, that is not an issue. And the truck is quiet, shockingly quiet. I would never go back to the non-common rail engine, just for that alone. On the Fords, I read about way too many problems with the fuel system, where the dealer was trying to not cover it. $9,000 for replacement, that is out of my budget.

Note that a 1 ton has much higher registration fees, at least out here in Comifornia. With the 1 ton Ram you can order it with a super heavy duty transmission, and that was tempting.

I’ve literally only known one Dodge Ram owner in my entire life that wasn’t an epic douche bag. I’m sure there’s a few select others out their, but I can’t help but notice that. Especially the 5.9 cummins people. That and just what epic pieces of shit Chrysler products have been across the board for the last decade are why I wouldn’t take a Ram if it was free.

Between the two I’d take the super duty but I’d also give a hard look at the newer Chevys too. The Duramax has always been a pretty solid motor as long as you don’t throw a wild tune on it, that seems to be what causes most of their issues and it seems the trans is always the first to fuck up from the added power. The earlier Allison’s did have some issues too, but as long as you’re not lifting it or tuning it then that would probably be the one I’d buy. Chevy has finally been putting some pretty nice interior in the Silverado’s too (since 2016ish).

I have 4 diesels in my driveway....do NOT buy a new diesel....epa restrictions have made them all unreliable trash!

Just take the EPA crap off and tune it. Just be sure to keep the oem parts, just in case. I legit don't know anyone with a diesel that still has EGR or exhaust.

My neighbor is a diesel pickup mechanic. He basically said they all have issues but the biggest is that people don't maintain them enough.

Totally looking forward to the following after three pages of discussion:

- Several recommendations for GM trucks
- Multiple suggestions for a 12V Cummins or 7.3L (bonus points if it's an IDI)
- Some jackass talking about the fuel economy of his Jetta TDI
Can I talk about the 900 mile range my Mercedes E250 Bluetec has with a 21.1 gallon tank? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: E. Bryant
I have always, always been a Ford guy. 2.5 years ago I purchased a Ram 2500 diesel, and am extremely satisfied. I did a lot of research. Ram has improved the transmissions and they should not be a problem. If it is, they can be rebuilt at a specialty shop where the transmission will be super strong.
The engine is great, and easy to service. I use less than 5 gallons of DEF a year, that is not an issue. And the truck is quiet, shockingly quiet. I would never go back to the non-common rail engine, just for that alone. On the Fords, I read about way too many problems with the fuel system, where the dealer was trying to not cover it. $9,000 for replacement, that is out of my budget.
Last one a buddy of mine had his CP4 eat itself, it cost him almost $13,000

My neighbor is a diesel pickup mechanic. He basically said they all have issues but the biggest is that people don't maintain them enough.

Can I talk about the 900 mile range my Mercedes E250 Bluetec has with a 21.1 gallon tank? ;)

It's not even the maintenance. They throw a huge tune on, blow loads of smoke, and coke up everything.

Then they bitch because they spent $$$$ on their truck and it broke. Well yeah, you spent the money on go fast crap. If you leave it stock it doesn't break!

Just take the EPA crap off and tune it. Just be sure to keep the oem parts, just in case. I legit don't know anyone with a diesel that still has EGR or exhaust.
Those days are gone brother...all tuners have had their ass handed to them by the epa...the only diesel worth a shit today is the duramax, and to successfully delete it is over $6grand in parts alone..no labor

the non commercial diesel world is dead..fun while it lasted

Reactions: MarshallDodge