• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ram 700p in 308 or savage in 6.5 creedmoor?

donniedee

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2011
dripping springs texas
looking for opinions and advice im wanting one rifle to shoot as accurately as poss from 100-1400yrds looking at the Remington 700police in .308 and the savage lrp in 6.5 creedmoor both have hs precision stocks need advice on which would be better at these ranges

**** also added in the savage 338 lapua? now which of THESE THREE

Last edited:
The 6.5/260 calibers beat the .308 hands down in just about every ballistic scenario... It comes down to the types of matches you're shooting, ammo availability, aftermarket parts (rem vs savage)...etc, etc...
As far as you wanting to shoot as "accurately as poss"....either rifle will be accurate as long as you do your part....however, the 6.5 is more forgiving.

The 6.5/260 calibers beat the .308 hands down in just about every ballistic scenario... It comes down to the types of matches you're shooting, ammo availability, aftermarket parts (rem vs savage)...etc, etc...
As far as you wanting to shoot as "accurately as poss"....either rifle will be accurate as long as you do your part....however, the 6.5 is more forgiving.

Yep ^

Buy a .50 cal. It's a bigger bullet and you're more likely to hit something because of the bullet size. lol

308 or 6.5 or 338LM??....here's what I tell people asking these types of questions: Buy a 308 and learn how to shoot. Once you can accurately put rounds on target with a 308 at distance, AND you want to compete, step up to the 6.5/260. If you want to spend large sums of money on ammo, buy a 338LM.

Honestly, if you're shooting targets within 1000 yards for the majority of your time, I personally think you are under utilizing the 338LM and wasting your money. That's just my opinion..... Would I love to have one...yes....would I shoot it at targets from 100-1000yards...yes...would I do it often...not unless I got a pay increase at work. ;)

12LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor.

"Its a Savage" but they've proven to shoot. Decent stock, factory DBM, 140gr AMax factory ammo for around $25/box.

Last edited:
Get the Remington.

A 30 year old Remington with a broken stock that has, for the last 8 years, been stored at the bottom of my swimming pool is better than the best Savage.

Edit: I don't actually own a swimming pool, or a 30 y/o Remington to store in it

Last edited:
You're going to be hard pressed to get a .308 to 1400 yds. Maybe the Savage F/TR rifle can do it with Berger 190's or heavier. As said before, you can learn to shoot the .308, then move to a better ballistic cartridge. If you're going to start with the one you end up with, get the Savage in 6.5, such as .260 Rem. Savage 12 LRP, under their listing as "target rifles" on the Savage Arms website, comes in .260 Rem. That or one similar is a great choice, and the LRP has an H-S stock, which is an upgrade.